I just ordered MM III and Valus

WizarDru

Adventurer
Psion said:
4 armed Nycoloth canonized is bad.

Being unfamiliar with yugoloths prior to just recently, why? Is that a change from previous canon, or something else? I'm not arguing either way, I'm just curious.

Psion

Adventurer
WizarDru said:
Being unfamiliar with yugoloths prior to just recently, why? Is that a change from previous canon, or something else? I'm not arguing either way, I'm just curious.

Well, the reason that the nycoloth has 4 arms is that in MotP, the artist mistook "4 limbs" to mean "4 arms" and made the illustration that way. But the stat block was right. Before that, nycoloths had always had two arms.

It aggravates me when the meta-canon is changed for no good reason. I don't consider a misunderstanding on an artists part to be a good reason. (Heck, even the Formians as LN creture thing had a good, campaign driven reason. It had a bad reason too, but at least it had a good reason.)

Nycoloths have been in my game since... well, GDQ. And the defining image of Nycoloths for me is the one in the original Fiend Folio. They always had two arms. Why did they suddenly sprout two more? I mean I know why it happened at WotC, but in the game world, I'm not thinking it's worth justifying.

Last edited:

Remove ads