I know what you want for dinner tonight...SUBWAY!

Felon

First Post
You know, I'm probably going to fold and subscribe to DDI this week, so I might as well get a foot-long tuna for Chucky-boy while I'm at it.

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Does being predictable necessarily equal being bad though? I find Chuck to be predictable and sometimes quite cheesy, but for some reason, I still really enjoy it. It's FUN and that sort of overrides predictability and cheesiness.

Now Reaper, however... I'm not gonna go into why that show is annoying me during this second season whereas I thought it was great the first season.

Felon

First Post
Does being predictable necessarily equal being bad though? I find Chuck to be predictable and sometimes quite cheesy, but for some reason, I still really enjoy it. It's FUN and that sort of overrides predictability and cheesiness.
For me, there has to be surprises. Combine the predictability with the ham-fisted Nerd-Herd sequences, and it's a recipe for not-trying-very-hard.

BrooklynKnight

First Post
Well, I won't be buying my Italian BMT after all, I'm afraid.

While the female lead is unspeakably hot, the show in its entirety is unacceptably predictable from the first scene to the last. It's really a shame. There's some sharp production values, but not a shred of ambition in the writing. I may gripe about Heroes aimlessness, but at least I don't always know what those characters are going to do next.

And if there's a product I can decline to buy to get Reaper off the air, please be sure to let me know. ;)

EDIT--Btw, just caught the last five minutes of the season finale. Predicted that the
big white room would stop being a big white room when the disk was inserted
, predicted that when Chuck
flashed he would become a badass martial arts master
, and then predicted his closing line
"I know kung fu"
. Like I said, stylishly done, but not a lot of surprises.

Frankly I dont think that the shows predictability is that much of a bad thing. It's very very hard not to like all the characters (Chuck and Casey most of all). But being predictable is not always bad. For example, just because we know Vader is Lukes dad doesn't make watching the Original Trilogy any less fun. Sometimes a cliche works and I think the great thing about Chuck is that when it uses a cliche or gets predictable you're still able to enjoy it. There is just enough sarcasm that you can just laugh along and love the show.

[sblock]
I kinda figured Orion would be his dad AND had an intersect in his head myself, it was one of many theories I tossed around but I still loved it when it happened!

I really hope this show gets another season. It's gonna be really really sad if it doesn't.

On the other hand....I think a much better direction for the show would have been Chuck being a spy without the Intersect in his head. Using his Fathers armband as they use the 'Bakula Intersect' to track down the origins of FULCRUM and "The Ring".

Finally, I have a prediction for Season 3.....BRYCE IS NOT DEAD, AGAIN! If you'll note, he died with his eyes open and was exposed to the new Intersect. We've thought he was dead before (twice before?). It would be both cliche and predictable for Bryce to come back with a second intersect in Season 3 but "brainwashed" or tortured by "the ring" into trying to take down "Team Chuck".[/sblock]

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Bringing Jordana Brewster on board for an arc was a good move but they should have kept her.

Grymar

Explorer
Best Line Ever?

Casey: "What the Chuck?"

Yeah, I dug the finale, although they have some work to do in the offseason teaching Zach L. some actual kung fu if they are going to try to make this work in Season 3 (if it happens). The fight scene was almost laughable with ZL being pretty awkward. I had always figured that he was a standard fairly athletic actor who played awkward, but seeing that fight scene I realized that he wasn't acting. He really does have a Dex of 8. :)

I hope it gets renewed. And I hope they step away from the Buy More plots. And I hope they do some nude scenes with Yvonne :)

Arnwyn

First Post
I'm fine with the predictability in a show like Chuck. Especially in a show like Chuck, actually. (I can understand those with different preferences finding that a bad thing, though.)

And yeah... hoo-boy Chuck's fighting was bad. No, sir, you do not know kung-fu.

Love the Buy More scenes. The spy stuff is too terrible to have more of - a nice balance is needed in this comedy.

Remove ads