• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) I like the new Warlock

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I think the new recovery mechanic we saw on the Druid’s Channel Nature and they said would appear on the Cleric’s and Paladin’s Channel Divinity would be a good alternative for warlock spells. I don’t think I’be ever seen people complain that the need to hoard their Wild Shapes or their Channel Divinity uses and never end up using them. Just give Warlocks a Channel Patron feature that they can use to cast one of their spells at its highest level [spellcasting mod] times, regain one use on a short rest. Then they would no longer depend on short rests to function like they’re supposed to, but that function would still be one of the “simple caster” who uses mostly cantrips and the occasional big splashy spell.
Agreed. Warlocks have always kind of straddled the flavor divide between Arcane and Divine, so using the Arcane spell list but having a "Divine" feature would be totally on-point, thematic-wise.

Reef

Hero
It’s not so much the limited magic that bothered me. It was the recharge tied to the short rest that became frustrating. In a perfect world where we always got the recommended SR after 2-3 encounters, it would probably work out. But in practice, that rarely seems to happen. Either there’s time constraints, or story constraints, or no one else wants to take one.

I’d be fine keeping Pact Magic if they alleviated that issue. Otherwise, chalk me up as one of the warlocks who tends not to plan around using spells.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
I am a warlock fan and have played this class many times, and have always felt Pact Magic was weak and frustrating. It’s too restrictive and discourages me from casting 1st level or higher spells, especially since warlock has a limited spell list and if you cast a spell that is ineffective (save or suck, lose concentration, ect.) then you have effectively wasted your spells. I always have to take feats that add spells just to feel somewhat useful. Most of the time I only use cantrips or play Bladelock so I don’t feel useless. Which sucks because the subclass features are really flavorful and fun to use.

So please, don’t just assume that because I like a lot of the proposed changes that I’m suddenly not a warlock fan.

Like what you like!

That said, I'm just going to gently point out that there are a fair number of people who prefer the Warlock because it's not like the other casters, and the idea that the real problem with the Warlock is that it doesn't cast enough spells, you know, to be useful like a Wizard is anathema to us. Because it goes against the entire reason that we like the Warlock. :)

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
It’s not so much the limited magic that bothered me. It was the recharge tied to the short rest that became frustrating. In a perfect world where we always got the recommended SR after 2-3 encounters, it would probably work out. But in practice, that rarely seems to happen. Either there’s time constraints, or story constraints, or no one else wants to take one.

I’d be fine keeping Pact Magic if they alleviated that issue. Otherwise, chalk me up as one of the warlocks who tends not to plan around using spells.
How would you feel about it using the new Channel Nature/Divinity mechanic from the Druid and Paladin packet? 2 uses, regain one use on a short rest or all uses on a long rest? Or, even up the base number of uses to spellcasting modifier instead of 2?

mellored

Legend
IMO:
I think all classes should have at least 1 short rest feature. Not have it be a core thing. But something.
How would you feel about it using the new Channel Nature/Divinity mechanic from the Druid and Paladin packet? 2 uses, regain one use on a short rest or all uses on a long rest? Or, even up the base number of uses to spellcasting modifier instead of 2?
I would say to make Patron Spell once per short rest.

Last edited:

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
That would probably work. Actually, that would be great.
Gotta love when folks with seemingly-opposed interests find common ground!

This is definitely what I’m going to suggest when the survey comes out. I know they don’t really look to the feedback for ideas, but I’m going to bring it up anyway. “Channel Patron” seems like a great alternative to Pact Magic in my opinion because it would make warlocks less short rest reliant, while still benefiting from short rests, and still feeling like cantrip-based casters with the occasional big splashy spell.

Remove ads