I made a campaign and mapping software that runs in the browser

playest

First Post
Hi!

I DMed quite a lot for the last few month and I was disappointed at the existing tools existing to draw maps. Being a developer I thought "I'll make my own! It can't be that complicated". It was. But that's not the point :D

So I made this : http://hextml.playest.net

It's a web-based tool to draw maps with hexagons (or squares if you want but it's hexagons by default). I'm pretty proud of it and I use it on my campaign try to share it with the WORLD!

If you plan on using it, a word of warning : everything is stored in your browser, I have no backup. Save you work on your own computer in the "Maps" tab.

I have a patreon if you want to support me or get news about updates and stuff.

I'll appreciate any remarks or help. Or, even better, post a picture of the map you made (download as image in the Maps tab).

Edit: version 5 is out, same website, same address :)

Last edited:

playest

First Post
I made a small update! The save and import buttons are more visible (they are now also in the toolbar on the top) and it works better on safari! Good mapping :)

andargor

Rule Lawyer Groupie
Supporter
Heya, I was just looking for something like that, a few things:

- How can you make the grid larger?
- How can you zoom in and out?
- Can you have 45 degree corridors on the grid map?

I'm going to post a thread about my specific needs, but I'll refer to yours :)

S

Sunseeker

Heya, I was just looking for something like that, a few things:

I'm not the Dev of this but I can answer a few questions:
1: Click on the "Maps" tab in the sidebar and you'll see an "Editor" with +/- buttons, these add/subtract new rows/columns. If the map becomes larger than the map window, you get scroll bars. I have not found a maximum.
2: As far as I have experimented, there is no zoom.
3: As far as I can tell, there are no diagonals. (but I've mostly been using hexes)

andargor

Rule Lawyer Groupie
Supporter
1: Click on the "Maps" tab in the sidebar and you'll see an "Editor" with +/- buttons, these add/subtract new rows/columns. If the map becomes larger than the map window, you get scroll bars. I have not found a maximum.
3: As far as I can tell, there are no diagonals. (but I've mostly been using hexes)

Thanks! There is a pinch zoom on the tablet, but mouse wheel on the PC does not zoom. Also you can't zoom out from the start zoom level, say if your map grew larger.

Also:
- For dungeon tiles, I would add tiles with doors N, E, S, W.
- Saving and loading locally does not work. Saving works fine, but loading does not. (EDIT: works on PC, not on tablet)

Last edited:

S

Sunseeker

Thanks! There is a pinch zoom on the tablet, but mouse wheel on the PC does not zoom.

Hmmm, Ctrl+Mousewheel seems to zoom in/out for me. It's the entire page of course, but it does make more room in the map frame. I'm using Chrome.

andargor

Rule Lawyer Groupie
Supporter
Hmmm, Ctrl+Mousewheel seems to zoom in/out for me. It's the entire page of course, but it does make more room in the map frame. I'm using Chrome.

The pinch on android is just the map, which is what I would prefer. I just wanted to point out that the behavior was different on the PC.

I've re-installed an app called Dungeon Sketch which also seems to fit the bill, although it's a bit rough around the edges. We'll see how stuff fares around the table...

playest

First Post
Hey! I wasn't monitoring this thread, thanks for taking interest :)
First a good news: I made a update yesterday and now there a new functionality is fog of war!
Also every one is having access to server-side saving by connecting with theirs google account. Try it if you want but be careful as it's still in beta (keep saving your map on your computer).

Did you make the thread? Can you post a link to it please :)

Thanks shidaku for answering. You are right about everything ;)
About #3, the way I see it I would have to put some weird tiles to draw diagonals corridors. If you want to draw them or if you already have such textures you can upload them in the "Resources" tab and use them. If you manage to do it you can send me the map and I may reconsider my positions. Or, you may have a better idea about how to do it, in any case I'm all ear!

Thanks! There is a pinch zoom on the tablet, but mouse wheel on the PC does not zoom. Also you can't zoom out from the start zoom level, say if your map grew larger.

Also:
- For dungeon tiles, I would add tiles with doors N, E, S, W.
- Saving and loading locally does not work. Saving works fine, but loading does not. (EDIT: works on PC, not on tablet)

1. That's a good idea! I was affraid that verticals doors would not be very visible, it would just look like a slice of wood. How would you represent such a door?
2. Sadly I don't have a tablet to test it :/ What kind of tablet are you using? Do you have any errors displaying?

Ctrl+wheel also works for me, both to make the map smaller and bigger. Sadly it's also affecting the menus.

The pinch on android is just the map, which is what I would prefer. I just wanted to point out that the behavior was different on the PC.

I've re-installed an app called Dungeon Sketch which also seems to fit the bill, although it's a bit rough around the edges. We'll see how stuff fares around the table...

On Android the pinch doesn't affect the menus? That's very weird :D I never programmed that ... Android is very smart! I'll look into it.
I didn't know about dungeon sketch, I'll try to play with it when I have the time, it may give me some inspiration.

Remove ads