• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I made a homebrew artificer for 5e. Please review.

Axios_Verum

First Post
A few days ago, I had a sudden fit of inspiration while comparing the 3.5e Artificer to the 5e Wizard Tradition of the same name. I know there are a few homebrew artificers out there already (and of questionable balancing, IMO) but I think I might have made one that is pretty well balanced against the wizard without eating the wizard's place in the party.
I also made an entirely new spellcasting system for it, referred to as Mimic Spellcasting. The 3.5e Artificer says it uses the same power as a Sorcerer just shaped by intellect and creativity, so I kind-of took that and ran with it.
My only regret is that I couldn't work actually making magic items into this without compromising the balance of the class, but it's also probably the best magic item user when compared to the other classes.
Quick disclaimer: all of those spell slots are 1st-level. Even 35 slots it has at 20th level are 1st-level slots. Don't freak out when you see all the slots. It's just 2/3 of the wizard's value in 1st-level slots
Update: Considering altering Mimic Spellcasting to force the artificer to use scrolls OR wands OR staves.
Here's the link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9ZWF1Y_Ltdzc21PYU5yZFFsVFk

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads