• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I need help choosing a hand-held video game system

krunchyfrogg

Explorer
I don't know ANYTHING about these things.

I just want a good system with good Sci-Fi and Fantasy RPGs.

I used to be a big fan of the following computer RPGs:

Planescape: Torment
Baldur's Gate I & II (and ToB)
IceWind Dale I & II
Star Wars: KotOR
Final Fantasy VII
Diablo I & II

I also used to play and enjoy the following NES games:
Dragon Warrior (all of them, I think)
Final Fantasy (all of them, I think)

I know video games are probably miles ahead of these games listed above now. Please point me in the right direction to which gaming system to buy and which games I'll enjoy (based on the ones I listed above). D&D rules (any version) are a plus!

I'm a huge Star Trek fan as well, so if there's a game based on the Star Trek universe, I think I'd enjoy that.

I'm more into the turn by turn tactical parts of the games, than having quick fingers or inserting special codes for moves or anything like that.

TIA!

Last edited:

Merkuri

Explorer
I don't have any other portable game systems, but I can tell you that the Nintendo DS has versions of Final Fantasy and Dragon Warrior, still. It has other turn-by-turn tactical games, too.

Irondeacon

First Post
My daughter swears by her Nintendo DS. If you still have a PC, have you considered Dungeon and Dragons Online - Ebberon Unlimited? Based roughly on 3.5, and free to play.

The Deacon

krunchyfrogg

Explorer
Thanks guys.

My daughter swears by her Nintendo DS. If you still have a PC, have you considered Dungeon and Dragons Online - Ebberon Unlimited? Based roughly on 3.5, and free to play.

The Deacon
I might be without the use of a computer for a while, other than my computer at work. I'm 99% sure anything like this would be blocked, and even ifit weren't, the computers are so slow the lag would be unbearable.

I'll keep this in mind for the day that I do start using a PC again though.

I guess I was kind of hoping that a PSP would be the answer, beccause I might be able to get one of those cheap and easy. I'll keep an eye out for a DS and will keep an eye on this thread as well.

fba827

Adventurer
I was looking for the same thing several years ago (i.e. tactical rpg tyle games, with non-twitchy 'other' games). While I haven't followed the trends since the last time I looked, I can say that as of a few years ago when I was looking, Nintendo DS has more tatical style RPGs out there. <-- though you'll want to verify if that's still the case or how easy those older games i had seen are to still find

Conversely, if you're a sucker for graphics, want to be able to modify it more with backgrounds, and the like (or if you have a PS3, since i think they can connect somehow) then a PSP should get a closer look.

krunchyfrogg

Explorer
I can buy a used PSP1001 (he says it's the original one), in good condition, no issues for $115. Is that a good deal?

It comes with the following:

zip-up case that holds psp and games.
includes home charger
512mb memory stick
screen shields
spiderman 2 Movie
cord that controls ff/rw/play
games with cases or not(up to you):

Socom Fireteam Bravo2
Fight Night round3
Tony Hawks underground2
Ratchet n Clank
Midway Arcade Treasures (MK etc)
NBA

I really don't have any use for those games, but I guess it would hold me over until I get the games I actually want.

Is this a good deal?

Welverin

First Post
I can buy a used PSP1001 (he says it's the original one), in good condition, no issues for $115. Is that a good deal?

I really don't have any use for those games, but I guess it would hold me over until I get the games I actually want.

Is this a good deal?

With the games, maybe. A basic PSP-3000 comes with this stuff (from [ame="http://www.amazon.com/PSP-3000-Core-Pack-Black-Sony/dp/B001KMRN0M/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1293659797&sr=1-1"]Amazon[/ame]): Black PSP-3000 system, AC power cord, AC adapter, battery pack, documentation.

It's really not much less than a new one, so it really depends on what kind of trade in value you can get for the games. The memory card is small, the movie probably won't have much value to you, and finally it's an old model.

I used to be a big fan of the following computer RPGs:

Planescape: Torment
Baldur's Gate I & II (and ToB)
IceWind Dale I & II
Star Wars: KotOR
Diablo I & II

You're not going to get these types of rpgs on either system.

I also used to play and enjoy the following NES games:
Dragon Warrior (all of them, I think)
Final Fantasy (all of them, I think)

Plenty of this style of game for the DS, not so much for the PSP. So I'm going to say you should go this way and not with the PSP.

There are multiple versions of the DS so you shouldn't have trouble finding one that fits your price (and including used it that thinking). There's the original DS, the DS Lite, DSi, and the DSi XL.

I'd also suggest Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood, a Sonic rpg by Bioware.

krunchyfrogg

Explorer
Well, I ended up talking another $15 off the final price, and bought the PSP with all the additional stuff there.

I didn't actually buy it for that much, I traded a high end slow pitch softball bat (that I don't need) for it, with money coming back in my direction.

Orius

Legend
Modern PC-style RPGs aren't really on the portables much. If you like the really old-school RPGs like the Wizardry series, there are games like Etrian Odyssey on the DS that let you draw dungeon maps on the lower screen.

I'd say say go for the DS. I feel the PSP's library is quite unimpressive, while the DS has a nice large variety of games. Such variety includes tradtional console RPGs, you mention both the Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy series, and both of them are well-represented on the system (DQ IV/V/IX, VI coming out soon; FF III/IV; and a number of related side games in the series).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads