• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I need help creating monsters for an adventure.

raptor112

First Post
I am working on an adveture for my game group, its not part of any ongoing campaign but a "spotlight" experiment for a campaign world I'm building. Now my bigest problem in 4E has been building new monsters and figuring out what current monsters to use. I've never been good with monster balance. The basic plot is the heroes are hired to go to this small out of the way town and look in on someone (as well as aquire a book this person is holding). Without going into too much into the story, the monsters I need to have are all lovecraft style (as in visual and themes) aberations, and some steampunk/clockwork cyborgs and robots (also some steampunky traps). The pc's are going to be 5 level characters (created for this speciific adventure) and all have the same theme (I'll post a seperate thread for that them). Now the aberations are going to be sprinkled through out the adventure, most of it takes place in various building settings. The steampunk/clockwork cyborgs are going to be townsfolk who (after a disaster) had their limbs replaced with mechanical artificial limbs. The clockwork robots (not all have to be humaniod, some animal like ones too) are made by a specific set of NPCs.

I would much prefer to refluff current monsters (or just tweak them a bit if neccesary) then create whole new monsters, with the exception of the ending boss (but I want to hold off mentioning him and the 3 other NPC's I need help with). Anything would be greatly appreicated

I am working on an adveture for my game group, its not part of any ongoing campaign but a "spotlight" experiment for a campaign world I'm building. Now my bigest problem in 4E has been building new monsters and figuring out what current monsters to use. I've never been good with monster balance.

Which specific part?

Do you find combat is too grindy? Are you using Monster Manual III and/or the Monster Vaults? (The earlier monster sources tend to give monsters with too many hit points, too high defenses, and not enough damage.)

The basic plot is the heroes are hired to go to this small out of the way town and look in on someone (as well as aquire a book this person is holding). Without going into too much into the story, the monsters I need to have are all lovecraft style (as in visual and themes) aberations, and some steampunk/clockwork cyborgs and robots (also some steampunky traps). The pc's are going to be 5 level characters (created for this speciific adventure) and all have the same theme (I'll post a seperate thread for that them). Now the aberations are going to be sprinkled through out the adventure, most of it takes place in various building settings. The steampunk/clockwork cyborgs are going to be townsfolk who (after a disaster) had their limbs replaced with mechanical artificial limbs. The clockwork robots (not all have to be humaniod, some animal like ones too) are made by a specific set of NPCs.

I would much prefer to refluff current monsters (or just tweak them a bit if neccesary) then create whole new monsters, with the exception of the ending boss (but I want to hold off mentioning him and the 3 other NPC's I need help with). Anything would be greatly appreicated

It sounds like you might want to refluff a bunch of monsters.

First, take a look at the Foulspawn. Their original stats needed work, but they've been errata'd. I think most of them are higher than 5th-level, but you can always lower their levels. Use the rules for the DMG2 (they're also included in the errata for the DMG1, and you can get some simple numbers here: http://slyflourish.com/master_dm_sheet.pdf )

For clockwork humans you might want to look at the Keepers. Alas, they're in Fiend Folio 3rd Edition. They're ... creepy.

Or just take a theme, similar to warforged powers. So perhaps the clockwork creatures cannot be healed, but can be repaired with appropriate "Craft" skill checks. (In essence, use Athletics instead of Heal, and no magical healing.)

If you have Call of Cthulhu they literally statted many such monsters for a d20 system. I keep trying to convert the nightgaunt into 4e, but it has too many roles and abilities. (Somewhere between a lurker and a controller, and only heroic level.)

raptor112

First Post
Which specific part?

Do you find combat is too grindy? Are you using Monster Manual III and/or the Monster Vaults? (The earlier monster sources tend to give monsters with too many hit points, too high defenses, and not enough damage.)

It sounds like you might want to refluff a bunch of monsters.

First, take a look at the Foulspawn. Their original stats needed work, but they've been errata'd. I think most of them are higher than 5th-level, but you can always lower their levels. Use the rules for the DMG2 (they're also included in the errata for the DMG1, and you can get some simple numbers here: http://slyflourish.com/master_dm_sheet.pdf )

For clockwork humans you might want to look at the Keepers. Alas, they're in Fiend Folio 3rd Edition. They're ... creepy.

Or just take a theme, similar to warforged powers. So perhaps the clockwork creatures cannot be healed, but can be repaired with appropriate "Craft" skill checks. (In essence, use Athletics instead of Heal, and no magical healing.)

If you have Call of Cthulhu they literally statted many such monsters for a d20 system. I keep trying to convert the nightgaunt into 4e, but it has too many roles and abilities. (Somewhere between a lurker and a controller, and only heroic level.)

Building balanced monsters for one, and building them to fit into roles is another problem for me. In 3rd edition I could just create something on the fly and adjust its powers as needed. I have a difficult time with that in 4th (between lack of experiance in running 4th and the fact that one of my players is also my primary DM who almost litterally has every D&D 4th edition book he owns memorized, including the monsters) also because I don't run all that often I don't really have all that many "DM" books. Like I have none of the monster books you mentions (I do have a DDI subscription though). To go into a bit more detail. A set of good guys helped to repair the townsfolks badly broken or missing limbs but now the lovecraft aberations have taken controll of the townfolk for their own ends. The idea is the PC's get to town knowing there is aberations afoot but doesn't know about the townsfolk. I need to create a grand total of 6 monsters from scratch because I don't think I can refluff what I'm looking for.

Last edited:

Tequila Sunrise

Adventurer
Building balanced monsters for one, and building them to fit into roles is another problem for me. In 3rd edition I could just create something on the fly and adjust its powers as needed. I have a difficult time with that in 4th (between lack of experiance in running 4th and the fact that one of my players is also my primary DM who almost litterally has every D&D 4th edition book he owns memorized, including the monsters) also because I don't run all that often I don't really have all that many "DM" books. Like I have none of the monster books you mentions (I do have a DDI subscription though). To go into a bit more detail. A set of good guys helped to repair the townsfolks badly broken or missing limbs but now the lovecraft aberations have taken controll of the townfolk for their own ends. The idea is the PC's get to town knowing there is aberations afoot but doesn't know about the townsfolk. I need to create a grand total of 6 monsters from scratch because I don't think I can refluff what I'm looking for.
90% of a 4e monster's stats are based on two things: its combat role and its 'true' level. In other words, how does it contribute to a fight, and how powerful/experienced is it in the grand scheme of things? For example one of your aberrants might be a pint-sized beholder with no eye stalks that zips around the battlefield blasting PCs with its psychic central eye ray. Its true level is only 1, so in the context of your 6th level scenario it's actually a 6th level goon skirmisher. A more powerful aberrant might be like the Pale Man, which simply charges into the PCs with terror-inducing brute force. Its true level is 7, so it's simply a 7th level brute. Coming up with fun recharge/use-or-lose powers takes some mental energy, but there are plenty of inspirational sources.

I wrote a whole guide on monster creation, which you can dowload at the bottom of this OP. Don't hesitate to ask questions!

Building balanced monsters for one, and building them to fit into roles is another problem for me.

The first is not an issue. 4e monster design is balanced right out of the box.

Roles are another story. Some roles, like lurkers, are hard to understand, and sometimes even WotC "gets them wrong". (I was just looking at a Dark Sun lurker that's really a skirmisher.)

For using the DDI, I hope there's a way to cherry pick sources. Don't use monsters from the MM1 or MM2, as they're not up to standard.

but now the lovecraft aberations have taken controll of the townfolk for their own ends. The idea is the PC's get to town knowing there is aberations afoot but doesn't know about the townsfolk. I need to create a grand total of 6 monsters from scratch because I don't think I can refluff what I'm looking for.

Describe the monsters first. Then we can pick roles and help design them. Lovecraft isn't as popular as it used to be, I guess, and if you're using new LC-inspired monsters, that just makes it harder for us to help you.

Pour

First Post
Power2ool.com will fix everything if you have a DDI subscription. If not, just open up a Monster Manual, Monster Vault, or dig up the 4e Monster Conversion threads on this forum and change names/energy types/appearances to taste. The Living Forgotten Realms tournament adventure series also has quite a few monsters in each adventure and they're free. Good luck, and let us know how it turns out!

Storminator

First Post
It's pretty easy with a DDi subscription.

Select MM3 or Monster Vault as the source. Pick the role (Lurker, Brute, etc), select a range of levels, and hit the search button. A pretty suitable batch of monsters will come up. Pick one, or copy a power from one and paste it into another monster. Print.

Very, very easy.

PS

raptor112

First Post
Wow, I come back a day later, and there is a bunch of posts, thanks everyone so far!. part of my problem is there are so many creatures and I have an idea for my monsters flavor wise but not really power wise. I was avoiding saying to much because some of my players go on this forum sometimes (and know my username) so I don't want to spoil anything. Here are some ideas though.

Aberrations(minions & Standard): The movie/story From Beyond by H.P. Lovecraft is the main inspiration for this adventure. So its all flying tentcales with razor sharp teeth, and masses of shifting rolling flesh. I can post a youtube link to the trailer if anyone wants. There is one exception to this, a monster that most likely has to be made from scratch.

The Living Electricity (solo): its a living lightnting bolt, that constantly changes it over all sharp, and while it can't speak (at least not in any tongue the PC's can understand) its very inteligent and is the creature controlling the villagers (through their cybernetics). Now I see it having an aura that does lightning damage, and in the room its going to be in, there are going to be a couple of electrical lights that it can "teleport" through. So I kind of see it as a lurker. I have the way it looks in my head but I can't quite explain it.

Clockwork/steampunk Villagers: The villagers have cybernetic implants because there was a horrible accident at the mine during a festival that is held at its enterence every year. Many were mangled some even killed, but creatures called Gremlins offered them the implants to help (believe it or not the gremlins are not the bad guys in this adventure) and the townsfolk accepted. Now I figure I can refluff some warforged but I want a variety of roles, so I can mix and match them. Also I have the idea that one of the villagers, the barkeep, can partially resist the living electricity to give the PC's the clue that the villagers are being mind controlled. For look, some of them have cybernetic limbs, some have their eyes replaces, or even part of their face or body. So I want a bunch of brutes to get in the PC's faces, a single soldier who can be the barkeep, a couple of lurkers and scrimishers with maybe an artilary as the roles. There is one exception to this, the Ending boss.

The ending boss has two forms: one is his standard form which is a artilary, and his solo form that is his either a soldier or a scrimisher. The idea is when they fight him at first he has a lighting gun, maybe a few other gagets, and looks completely human. He might have a few minion aberrations with him but thats it. Once the standard version is defeated his flesh melts away to reveal a fully mechanical body with just a brain being the only organic part of him. I want this form to take a licking and deal a decent (but not over powered) amount of damage. His tactics and power must change, maybe even what he uses as weapons.

The only other creatures I need are the Gremlins (who unless the PC's attack them or fail the skill challenge will be helpful NPC's) and the clockwork robots they cobbled together to protect themselves from the aberrations and mind controlled monsters (they know about the mind controll)

Any help on building these monsters or sugestions on who or what to use/refluff would be appreciated

Tharian

First Post
One way to address your players being on this same board is to include a note in the subject line, something along the lines of "My players keep out" or similar. This has worked for others in the past, but it does mean that they have to know your handle on the boards here, of course.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads