I read that sorcerer and warlock multiclass really well together.

Zardnaar

Legend
I have played this build. In my experience it did not really start to feel powerful until I was level 7 (Sorcerer 5/Warlock 2) although the main shtick of the build comes online at level 5 (Sorcerer 3/Warlock 2). Before that you may feel underpowered. I avoid making this character unless the campaign is starting at level 5 or higher, but that is a personal preference.

The powerful things about this multiclass are --

1. Single Ability Dependent -- Charisma. Both classes are powered off Charisma. The half-elf is a natural choice for this build.

2. The sorcerer's quicken spell metamagic in combination with eldritch blast + agonizing blast invocation. This makes you one of the most powerful "archers" in the game. Hex buffs the damage even further. You can burn spell slots for more sorcerer spell points to fuel more uses of quicken spell.

3. The hexblade is the most optimized warlock pact for this build because you can apply hexblade's curse to buff eldritch blast damage even further. You also have medium armor proficiency, eliminating the need for mage armor.

Some say it is cheesy. Some say it is cool. Some say it is both. I like it. I've played it twice and probably will do so again. :devilish:

Still makes a decent Archer at level 3 starting as sorcerer then warlock.

1d10+ Cha+ hex is good lvl 3. With 2 level 1 spells level 2 and 2 that refresh on short rests that's a lot of hex to go around.

Still compares well to most archers low level and you can probably soar a spell slot for sleep.

It's not that much worse than any other low level character.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I remember some of the guys theory crafting at a gaming store, saying you get the sorcerer high level ability with using your warlock spell slots (that return on a short rest) to turn into sorcery points.

A) is this true?
B) please explain how it's done
C) is it cheesey, cool, or both?

In terms of power Its not really worth sacrificing your spell progression for. Maybe when your level 17 at that point it won’t matter.

Esker

Hero
In terms of power Its not really worth sacrificing your spell progression for. Maybe when your level 17 at that point it won’t matter.

It's certainly not worth taking three warlock levels at the expense of three levels of sorcerer just for this feature. But together with the other benefits of those warlock levels (eldritch+agonizing blast, another invocation, a pact boon, and if Hexblade medium armor and shields and +proficiency to damage rolls against one target per short rest), it might be worth it depending on your campaign and desired playstyle. Losing high level spells hurts more if you have relatively few fights per day; if you have long days with a lot of combat, then those one or two highest level spells have less of an impact, and at-will and short-rest recharge resources are more valuable.

shadowoflameth

Adventurer
Main draw for some is the cheesey way of converting all of your Warlock slots into Sorcery points, and then converting those points into Sorcerer spell slots, and then taking a short rest, gaining back all Warlock Slots.

And repeating that 3 more times while the rest of your party sleeps because you are a trancing elf that only needed 4 hours of rest to not take ranks of exhaustion.

The maximum number of Sorcery points you can have is equal to your Sorcerer level, when converting a spell slot into points, you gain points equal to the level of the slot.

At 3rd level Warlock, you can turn your two level 2 slots into a total of 4 Sorcery points. Enough to create 2 1st level slots. If you can get in 3 short rests before the adventuring day starts, that's 8 extra 1st level slots to begin your day with, and you can do this as soon as Sorcer 2, Warlock 3. So a 5th level Drow can begin each day with 11+ level 1 slots.

But the full Sorcerer in the group is unimpressed by your endless stream of magic missiles, because he can cast Fireball, and cantrips jump up at level 5 to be nearly as good as level 1 spells.

If I was your DM I would tell you you can't rest again because you aren't tired, and you aren't going to be tired until I say you are.
RAW You can only benefit from one Long Rest/24 hours.

Remove ads