I think its time to run a rules awareness campaign.

jester47

First Post
I have noticed that PC has been pretty busy closing threads as of late. I have also noticed that most (9 out of 10) of the people causing the closures are people with post counts less than 300. This tells me that there is a lot of new blood that is unaware of the rules and the iron fist of the moderators.

Is it possible to make people more aware of a rules sticky somehow? Or how about a sticky pointing to a rules sticky? Or setting up the board that every tenth (or some number X) post you get taken to a rules page that you have to click a button to post through.

We need a rules reiteration.

Aaron.

LightPhoenix

First Post
If I recall correctly, people actually look at topics less when they're stickies than when they're actual topics. And the "every ten posts" idea sounds incredibly annoying. That said, a rules iteration might be a good thing.

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Some things I can think of:

Upon registration, they get an e-mail anyway. Just include the rules in that. Or send a second e-mail.

Or add the rules to the registration page.

cybertalus

First Post
People ignore what they're supposed to pay attention to and pay attention to what they're supposed to ignore. Human beings are contrary like that.

My suggestion therefore is to post the rules in a thread in General marked "Please ignore this thread". Then have a moderator close it. Between the subject and it being a closed thread it's bound to get noticed. Of course it'll need to be perioidcally reopened for bumpage, but, hey no system is perfect.

Berandor

lunatic
cybertalus said:
People ignore what they're supposed to pay attention to and pay attention to what they're supposed to ignore. Human beings are contrary like that.

My suggestion therefore is to post the rules in a thread in General marked "Please ignore this thread". Then have a moderator close it. Between the subject and it being a closed thread it's bound to get noticed. Of course it'll need to be perioidcally reopened for bumpage, but, hey no system is perfect.
This idea is great!

Make it a sticky, even.

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Henry said:
That's just plain underhanded enough to work. :)
Agreed.

For maximum effect, me might want to should ask a non-mod to start the thread for us. I'm thinking of someone like hong or diaglo here... ;) Of course, we'd need to coordinate that well so nobody would reply before we can close it - or else give the poster in question moderator powers (of the non-super kind) in GD or Meta for a day. Or we could just split other people's posts off.

Having someone else have the first post would also prevent that people are clued in by the preview they see when hovering their cursor over the thread. (This could be achieved in other ways as well, of course.)

Further, I think making it a sticky is not the best way to go about it.

Lastly, if we decide to do it, I'd like to volunteer to write (well, copy-paste, mostly) and bump it.

Last edited:

JoeBlank

Explorer
Upon reading the OP, I was about to make the same suggestions, especially that the thread be closed. I can't resist driving by those train wrecks to see what happened.

Another idea might be for a mod to post a copy of the rules in each thread that is closed. Maybe even bold the rule that led to the closing. This way, those of us attracted to closed threads would get repeated exposure to the rules, and specific, real-life examples of them.

Swiftbrook

First Post
jester47 said:
I have also noticed that most (9 out of 10) of the people causing the closures are people with post counts less than 300.

Hey! I must object to this generalization :mad: . I've been around for 2 1/2 + years and have don't have 300 posts! In fact, I think this is my 100th. Just because I'm not a frequent poster doesn't mean I'm a trouble maker. Don't turn off the newbies with over gereralizations.

-Swiftbrook

Remove ads