I think its time to run a rules awareness campaign.

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Swiftbrook said:
Hey! I must object to this generalization :mad: . I've been around for 2 1/2 + years and have don't have 300 posts!
Indeed. Just because someone has a low post count and is a troublemaker doesn't mean they're new.

Hm. But that wasn't your point, was it? :eek: I still like it, though.

fusangite

First Post
To be frank, I don't think there is any lack of awareness of the rules. People just choose to violate them sometimes. Generally, such violations tend to peak at certain times; people often feel more confident/free in violating rules when they see others doing it. I'm not sure that you would achieve your objectives by reminding at the moment or just in general more frequently.

Nightcloak

First Post
Swiftbrook said:
Hey! I must object to this generalization :mad: . I've been around for 2 1/2 + years and have don't have 300 posts! In fact, I think this is my 100th. Just because I'm not a frequent poster doesn't mean I'm a trouble maker. Don't turn off the newbies with over gereralizations.

Here, here!

I lurked for years before getting involved :D

Darkness said:
Indeed. Just because someone has a low post count and is a troublemaker doesn't mean they're new.

Crude. Your on to me :p

Dyne

First Post
jester47 said:
I have noticed that PC has been pretty busy closing threads as of late. I have also noticed that most (9 out of 10) of the people causing the closures are people with post counts less than 300. This tells me that there is a lot of new blood that is unaware of the rules and the iron fist of the moderators.

Is it possible to make people more aware of a rules sticky somehow? Or how about a sticky pointing to a rules sticky? Or setting up the board that every tenth (or some number X) post you get taken to a rules page that you have to click a button to post through.

We need a rules reiteration.

Aaron.

I myself am very new to EN World. It took me a while to figure out that this very forum even existed. I am sorry to admit that I do not know the exact rules of the forums, but I try to best I can in what few posts I make to be respectful and polite to everyone until I learn the rules by heart. Speaking as a newbie, I would say that there should just be some big sign or something on the main page that gives a link to the rules, as well as to anything else a person would need to know to post at EN World. I am sorry to admit that the main page is so filled of advertisements and announcements that I find it too overwhelming to look at all of them. If there were something to stand out that would point to such important things as the rules, people such as me might be more likely to look at it.

Also, I commend all of you. Just the fact that this thread exists shows what a nice community is established here. I'm glad to be a part of it, and I'm thankful that I have been accepted so warmly.

BSF

Explorer
There is an announcement thread at the top of each forum/subform (even the private forums) that is titled "The Rules - Please Read!". The rules are there for anybody to find. But since it is an announcement, it doesn't get read. It has a bit over 6,000 views in the last 7 months. I know I am responsible for at least 3 of those views since I just hit it to be sure it was still there. :)

Overall I think people do a pretty good job staying within most of the rules. Even if they haven't read them, it is hard not to slowly become aware of some of them. I laughed when I saw the thread posted and then slammed closed by Darkness. Then I hit the thread to do my part to bump up the view count.

jester47

First Post
I don't mean to rip on low posters. Thats definaitely not it. And there are 1000+ posters that know better than to break rules. But my point is that there is simply an ignorant demographic of people with less than 300 posts and join dates of the last 3 months. This is not everyone that is causing problems, but it is fairly common for the violators to fit this demographic.

I think there are some good suggestions in this thread!

Aaron.

Nightcloak

First Post
jester47 said:
I don't mean to rip on low posters. Thats definaitely not it. And there are 1000+ posters that know better than to break rules. But my point is that there is simply an ignorant demographic of people with less than 300 posts and join dates of the last 3 months. This is not everyone that is causing problems, but it is fairly common for the violators to fit this demographic.

I think there are some good suggestions in this thread!

Aaron.

It's good. Just teasing a bit.

Us lurkers want to feel important ;)

In all seriousness. You were right. There are a lot of new posters lately and a rules review would not hurt anyone.

Remove ads