• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E I think WotC has it backwards (re: story arcs)

delericho

Legend
The question just comes down to "Do I leave 5E now and come back in five years when I can buy everything I want to play the type of D&D game I want... or do I just make myself miserable by hanging around staring at this pot waiting for it to eventually boil?"

While your post is mostly spot on, you missed an option: "Do I just leave 5e?" That is, the "coming back" part isn't necessarily a given.

Which may or may not be an issue WotC want to address.

Beleriphon

Totally Awesome Pirate Brain
[3D][/3D]
As I do not play MMO's, could you elaborate?

Raids usually require getting thirty to forty players, a high level of organization and often take several hours to complete. A dungeon on the other hand usually only requires four or five players and can usually take around an hour or so to complete.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
You do not need to play the game to buy its books.

Wizards has repeatedly stated that they are interested in getting people to play...not sell books. Hence why all crunch so far has been free past the core, and the Basic is available for free. Playing D&D is the goal, not reading splats. The tabletop game is not the focus of their revenue stream moving forward, but getting people to play is a big part of their brand strategy.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
You do not need to play the game to buy its books.

If all you are doing is buying books to read... why do they have to be 5E books? There are thousands of RPG books already out there to purchase, many of them about the Dungeons & Dragons game in some form or fashion. You have no shortage of D&D books to buy and read, if buying and reading is all that matters to you.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
While your post is mostly spot on, you missed an option: "Do I just leave 5e?" That is, the "coming back" part isn't necessarily a given.

Which may or may not be an issue WotC want to address.

I was responding directly to Nellisir's comment, wherein I got from it that Nellisir likes 5E but apparently doesn't feel there's enough product to warrant playing the game. Thus... if the end result is "playing 5E"... my point *is* a given. If there's not enough to play with now... you go away for a while and come back to play it when there is.

You can't just go away altogether if the eventual end point is actually playing the game.

Nellisir

Hero
I was responding directly to Nellisir's comment, wherein I got from it that Nellisir likes 5E but apparently doesn't feel there's enough product to warrant playing the game.
What I actually said was "something interesting". That's not the same as "enough product". I've got zero interest in adventure paths or mega-adventures, which is the sum total of what WotC has announced to date.

If there's not enough to play with now... you go away for a while and come back to play it when there is.
Certainly true, if all one cares about is an accumulation of some critical mass of pages.

Nellisir

Hero
If all you are doing is buying books to read... why do they have to be 5E books? There are thousands of RPG books already out there to purchase, many of them about the Dungeons & Dragons game in some form or fashion. You have no shortage of D&D books to buy and read, if buying and reading is all that matters to you.

First of all, your statement presumes that one hasn't read existing books, and that all books are equally interesting. Second, you mistake "want" for "need". I don't "need" to read them. I want to. RPGs are a luxury product. Third, you made my point. "Readers" made up a really, really large part of the market. We can go buy something else. That's how WotC loses customers.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
If all you are doing is buying books to read...
Ah, the strawman, always there to help.
why do they have to be 5E books?
My wild guess is that WotC wants to get our money. I'm guessing that the current edition sells more than the past ones too. I'm also guessing that if we give our money to Paizo, WotC doesn't get our money.

Of course, this is all speculation on my part. Like saying that there are some people for whom RPG=D&D exclusively.

Wild I say!

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads