I tried powergaming a wizard in AL

krunchyfrogg

Explorer
Variant human

STR 8 DEX 16 CON 16 INT 16 WIS 8 CHA 8

Feat: resilient (CON)

Is this taking it too far? While I don't plan on making him the party face or multiclassing, making DEX and CON 14's to bump WIS and maybe CHA might not be a bad idea.

mellored

Legend
Your likely to get hit by hold person, you can't escape a grapple from a kobold, and you'll end up talking your way into speeding tickets.

And in exchange, your got a little more AC and a little more HP.

Seems balanced.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
How's that too far? Hell having such a disparity gives you more character than Joe McAverage and his 14s in everything.

You could bump Con to a 13 before the feat to bump Wis up to 12.

I concur. The negative wisdom modifier impacts your perception rolls and wisdom saves which is bad. I ran a wizard with STR 8 DEX 16 CON 14 INT 16 WIS 12 CHA 8. It worked out well. With Resilient (Con) to help with your concentration and CON saves, a 14 CON is sufficient.

Last edited:

I concur. The negative wisdom modifier impacts your perception rolls and wisdom saves which is bad. I ran a wizard with STR 8 DEX 16 CON 14 INT 16 WIS 12 CHA 8. It worked out well. With Resilient (Con) to help with your concentration and CON saves, a 14 CON is sufficient.

The difference in saving throws between Wis 8 and Wis 12 is negligible unless you're trying to reduce the duration of a save-ends effects like fear, which wizards don't really care about since they're not attack roll-based. 90% of the time Wis 8 and Wis 12 will give the exact same results on a saving throw.

Besides, as a wizard you're proficient in Wisdom saves anyway which offsets the stat penalty, so at worst you'll be as vulnerable as a high-Wisdom Fighter/Bard/Rogue/Barbarian.

Don't listen to people who tell you that Wis 8 means you'll always get hit by Hold Person and Wis 12 means you're safe. The math says otherwise.

krunchyfrogg

Explorer
The difference in saving throws between Wis 8 and Wis 12 is negligible unless you're trying to reduce the duration of a save-ends effects like fear, which wizards don't really care about since they're not attack roll-based. 90% of the time Wis 8 and Wis 12 will give the exact same results on a saving throw.

Besides, as a wizard you're proficient in Wisdom saves anyway which offsets the stat penalty, so at worst you'll be as vulnerable as a high-Wisdom Fighter/Bard/Rogue/Barbarian.

Don't listen to people who tell you that Wis 8 means you'll always get hit by Hold Person and Wis 12 means you're safe. The math says otherwise.

The low WIS would worry me more on perception checks (the most common check, or so I've been told).

The Hold Person spell is made for casting on a warrior type. Casters don't expect to land it on a spellcaster that has proficiency in the save. Given the choice, they're more likely to land the spell on a different character, so they're less likely to even target the wizard.

The low WIS would worry me more on perception checks (the most common check, or so I've been told).

Yeah, you'd be somewhat more likely to be surprised by a Shadow or a goblin, and you'd definitely want to grab Perception proficiency (which you'd want to do anyway no matter what). But, with that high Dexterity you can grab Stealth, and now even if you don't see the goblin, at least he probably won't see you either. You may ghost right past each other in the dark.

Remove ads