I tried powergaming a wizard in AL

The low WIS would worry me more on perception checks (the most common check, or so I've been told).

The Hold Person spell is made for casting on a warrior type. Casters don't expect to land it on a spellcaster that has proficiency in the save. Given the choice, they're more likely to land the spell on a different character, so they're less likely to even target the wizard.

Wizards are among the classes which can least afford to be caught off guard or surprised (the 8 Wisdom sorceress in our last campaign could tell you that after her unfortunate encounter with a stealthy giant spider in a cave) and you are not going to be in stealth mode all the time because it is an active skill. Perception is a passive and arguably the most commonly rolled skill. Because buying stats at 14+ is more expensive, you are getting a 10% increase on wisdom related rolls for a 5% decrease on constitution rolls if you go with Con 14, Wis 12 instead of Con 16, Wis 8. While Con is more important than Wis for a wizard, I wouldn't consider it that much more important. A little foresight and prevention may help you from needing to make CON rolls later.

While I agree that a wizard is not likely to be the subject of a hold person spell, there are many monsters with unpleasant wisdom-based effects (52 saving throws in the Monster Manual target wisdom saves). Constitution is the most common save in the MM (86 saving throws) followed by Dexterity (57 saving throws) with wisdom third. But that's why you have a slightly higher Con and proficiency on Con saves via the Resilient feat and Dex 16. A Wisdom of 12 feels about right for its relative importance.

Last edited:

agreenspan

First Post
Take 2 levels of fighter (1FTR -> 5WIZ -> 1FTR -> XWIZ) You'll start with proficiency in STR/CON saves and the ability to wear plate/shield.

TheGogmagog

First Post
Heavy armor has a strength requirement. So no plate with an 8 STR. I think the one dwarf sublass lets you ignore strength requirements, but with dex 16, Half Plate will do almost as well.

750gp Half Plate 15 + 2 Dex +2 shield. Even with only 50gp scale 18's not bad for a wizard. Add in the shield spell, that's as good as you can hope for.

GrumpyGamer

First Post
You are investing a feat and a lot of your point buy budget into Con. What type of Wizard are you playing and how many concentration spells are you going to use?

Unless you plan on building your character around a signature concentration spell, I would think a Con of 14 and War Caster which helps with the one off concentration check (advantage) and the ability to cast spells as opportunity attacks is likely better.

Remove ads