• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E I want more Magic Items in my games...

To be frank, I think that you would be better off running a higher-level game if you want to use very powerful magic items and high-CR enemies.

The issue I've found at low levels is that powerful magic items become the focus of the character, not their actual character abilities. If they are too low level to deal with the problems they face using their own skills and abilities, then those capabilities don't matter. If the only choices that matter is what items they have because those items are the only thing able to solve challenges of that level, it marginalises the rest of the character.

I'm not saying that people wouldn't enjoy a game with the concept you're suggestion. But I, personally, do not think that I would.

Shiroiken

Legend
The Deck of Many Things can be used pretty much at any level, but the lower the level the more dangerous it can be. I one time had the party find one at level 2 (in 1E), and they steered clear because they knew the risks were high. Of course, back then you only got one opportunity to draw from each deck.

Funny side story, I had a high level group decide to play poker with a deck of many things (I had nothing to do with this, simply adjudicating it as the DM). Each player anted up a powerful magic item, and they each drew five cards, revealing them simultaneously. I forget the determination of the winner, but the chaos that ensued was fantastic :)

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Just remember that all the magic items in the world aren't going to save you from having single digit HP at level one. Even using a strong, but appropriate bugbear I one shot dead dead killed a character in LMOP. And the Wyvern Hill orc encounter nearly TPKed them. This was with level appropriate monsters and no magic items. If you're going to throw higher monsters at them, they're going to hit harder and this will be even more of a problem at low levels.

Sent from my SM-G900P using EN World mobile app

tglassy

Adventurer
I think my concept is going to be that there ARE major magical monsters, beings and NPC's, as well as magical items, but the players have to decide what they can take on. More risk means more reward...and more risk.

The main thing I want to use this for is the Academy of Heroes game I'm developing. I want it to be like Hogwarts, only for adults and much more deadly.

I'll definitely keep the limit on attuning items, but I do want to throw some interesting things in there to see what the PC's do with them. I mean come on, Harry Potter had a Cloak of Invisibility, and that's a Legendary Item. He got it at 10!

Jeremy E Grenemyer

Feisty
Supporter
If you're going to introduce more items, and more powerful ones at that, then don't be afraid to take them away.

Introduce monsters, spells and attacks that can destroy magic items into your game too.

At level 6 or so, the players in my longest running 3rd Edition game quested for a Sphere of Annihilation on behalf of the land of Cormyr, and then used it to fend off otherwise indestructible Ghazneths to help save the King of Cormyr.

I threw a ton of magical treasure into that campaign, and I found as time went by that if I didn't up the challenge level then things got boring.

Best of luck to you.

Raith5

Adventurer
Having the enemies have magic items is great! They will love their magic items so much more if they first have to survive them!

Exactly this. How magic items of power arrive needs to be a core part of the story.

In my big 4e campaign, we had Whelm, the rod of Seven parts and the sword of Kas (at two different points), and the eye of Vecna (which we did not use). Sure artefacts worked in a very different way in 4e but in most cases we had to fight to get them and they were key parts of the campaign.

Horwath

Legend
You can add tons of magic item and not disrupt the balance...much...

Just stay away from +X items to attack and AC or limit them to +1 only. Do not add +1 armor AND +1 shields to the mix together.
Focus on items that require attunement.

TallIan

Explorer
You don't have to kit the PC's out with necklaces of blasting and +3 Great axes right off the bat. Make your own fun magic items, that add versatility to the PC's rather than power.

Its very easy to scale items in the DMG back, eg minor wand of magic missile can shoot 1 MM once per short rest, rather than up to 7MM at once.

The trouble (or good thing - depending on your point of view) with higher levels monsters to challenge your tooled up PC's is that they get more XP. So consider if you want to have rapid character level progression or scale back the XP from each monster (or change your entire XP award system) to your preference.

Tall

dkmurphy

First Post
One thing I did in a couple campaigns I ran was ive everyone magic items at 1st level. I would make one for each character and work it into their background. Sometimes they would not know it was magical. I never really liked the disposable nature of low level items: "Oh, just another +1 long sword, I have 7 here give this to the wizard, I am tired of carrying it...." And then reading how insanely difficult some editions made making items was, why would a wizard BOTHER making a +1 anything? Then you just keep getting rid of your flavor of the week magic weapon for the new one you found, until you find something better.... again boring.

So what I generally do is they either find something, earn it, what ever fluff I have to do to add it to the game. Then I add powers to it as characters go up in level. Sort of like unlocking the powers. This fits better story wise and into fiction better too. Raistlin has a Artifact or 2 at pretty low levels. Lots of support in fiction, nearly any of the Shanarra magic items, the One Ring..... This makes them keep items longer and you can add powers to the items at whatever pace you want.

As far as game balance goes, I have seen countless threads and discussions about PC's that have too much magic, how to balance the party better; how to fix giving out too powerful of an item in the PC's hands etc. You get the drift, DM's getting frustrated at balancing encounters, players getting bored with cake walks. In games I ran I tended to give out lots of magic, but as above I also tried to make them interesting not just boring +1 or +2 thingamabobs. But I liked high magic; WHY play a gritty realistic game, sounds too much like real life for my taste, I'm not trying to recreate 1435 England in my game. However I never had much of an issue with players being too over powered. I adjusted the monsters and encounter difficulty. I did this often on the fly. If the battle was too easy, but a cool encounter, well the monster has more hitpoints or resistance or made the save etc..... (Yeah I cheated LOTS as a DM). But if the combat was interesting WHY end it sooner than what is fun or satisfying? I almost never went by the book. Sometimes I did and the cheating was often saving players characters, not killing them. I did not try to TPK the party; I mean why end a campaign like that? If I screwed up and sent a monster on them that was way too powerful, it would retreat (I mean how many things actually WANT to die? Why stay around and fight to the death?) or it would have less hit points, or I would only give a fraction of the damage I rolled etc, you get the point. I simply wouldn't ALLOW a random encounter to end the party. I was not shy about killing off a character here or there either if it made for a good story and I would fit that in so that the story was satisfying to everyone. I simply won't let the dice and rules hold me hostage when I think a satisfying story is more entertaining. Players have no idea what you really roll anyway. I also have them roll dice sometimes for no reason, just to keep up suspense. But the big thing about high magic is the PCs are more powerful. Which makes numerical number crunching to match the encounter to the PC's silly IMO. Run encounters on the fly. I frequently put very high level monster encounters in my L1-3 games. Yeah, if you are a L1 fighter try TALKING to the gargantuan dragon before attacking...... It might just be looking for directions. I warn the players that just because they MEET something does not mean they have any hope of defeating it in combat. Anyway you get the idea. I think alot of DM's get caught up in actually following the rules, (they are guidelines). It will require you to have to put in way more prep time, and that will not work most of the time anyway. Try dealing with smart creative players, you CAN'T predict what they are going to do. SO I don't try. I never had a problem with the high number of magic or the power level of magic items I gave out. YMMV, but if you don't hold yourself as a slave to the dice, and RAW it makes life easier. Just try to be consistent in your DM style, think about what makes a good story, what is interesting, and go from there.

Remove ads