I want to build a really effective gish. Please help!

krunchyfrogg

Explorer
Because you do not have a warlock invocation yet and at lvl 5 you only have 4 fighter levels so you lose the extra attack.

I see. You're saying as a level 2 character, you're weaker compared to other single classed level 2 characters.

I didn't understand at first. TY.

mellored

Legend
I'm at the point where I'm fine with not getting any extra attacks, because I think booming blade and green flame blade are that good. I definitely want both of them.

I want a decent-> good AC, as well as at least 7 HP per level (average), so that wading into melee is a good option. I think you get more out of just a few warrior levels, and you should, at most, have 25% of your levels in a martial class. The fewer the better.
Then I suggest ancient paladin/tome fiend warlock.

Paladin1 for armor.
warlock 3 for booming blade, green flame blade, eldritch blast (+agonisng blast), and shillelagh (lets you hit with Cha), and rituals.
paladin 2 for smites (powered by warlock slots).
warlock 5 for warcaster, and level 3 spells.

Then either paladin 7 for defense and auras, or warlock 11 for more spells and offense. Picking up +4 Cha, and possibly resilience Con and/or inspiring leader.
3 levels of battlermaster fighter for precision strike and action surge can work too.

Ovarwa

Explorer
Hi, Hi,
I want a decent-> good AC, as well as at least 7 HP per level (average), so that wading into melee is a good option. I think you get more out of just a few warrior levels, and you should, at most, have 25% of your levels in a martial class. The fewer the better.
There's something to be said for Pa6 or 7 up front, and then switching over. Yes, you'll spend all of your career with >25% warrior levels. But your first ASI kicks in at level 4. You get the class' signature ability at level 6, and if the level 7 aura is really good, you get that too. Everyone looks at the smites, but for me, +Cha to saving throws for you and nearby friends is where Paladin greatness really shines: It's like saying that you and your nearby allies get proficiency in all saving throws, and if they already have proficiency in some saving throw, they get it again, which helps bounded accuracy break... in your favor. Stand next to the wizard or sorcerer, and give him Resilient Con (again.) Once you're hanging back with the casters, Warlock EB suddenly looks really good. And if you're in melee, you still get two attacks. F1 seems more attractive to me for the "fewer martial levels" approach, providing armor, weapons, a fighting style and Con proficiency. Just me, Ken

Ovarwa

Explorer
Hi,

That's really why I want both classes online at level 3 (or sooner).

Then F1/Wa2 might suit you better. Or even EK3. (Nothing wrong with fighting style@1, action surge@2, spells@3, ASI@4, extra attack@5, ASI@6!) Or maybe even F1/Abj2. Paladin doesn't get smite until lvl 2; Warlock doesn't start getting its good stuff until lvl2 or 3, so the combination isn't likely to do much of its thing at character level 3.

krunchyfrogg

Explorer
Hi,

Then F1/Wa2 might suit you better. Or even EK3. (Nothing wrong with fighting style@1, action surge@2, spells@3, ASI@4, extra attack@5, ASI@6!) Or maybe even F1/Abj2. Paladin doesn't get smite until lvl 2; Warlock doesn't start getting its good stuff until lvl2 or 3, so the combination isn't likely to do much of its thing at character level 3.

It's definitely a possibility, but I'm also really liking pal 2/sorcerer.

Remove ads