I want to go Sailing

mac1504

Explorer
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I think I will try out Corsairs based on GMSkarka's note that it can be adapted to other genres; I was under the impression it only dealt with ships in the 18th century time period.

I already have FFG's Seafarer's Handbook, I probably should have mentioned that. I wasn't all that impressed with it, but for $5 I got enough out of it.

I will look into Mongoose's book as well, but I'm always leery of their work due to some of their books I purchased long ago.

Last edited:

TheAuldGrump

First Post
It is in my not so humble opinon one of their better books. I enjoyed Seas of Blood, and felt that Book of the Sea was in general an improvement.

The Auld Grump

isoChron

First Post
There are a few pictures and stats along with some rules about ships and other vehicles in the "Arms & Equipment Guide". Not very satisfying but better than nothing.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
isoChron said:
There are a few pictures and stats along with some rules about ships and other vehicles in the "Arms & Equipment Guide". Not very satisfying but better than nothing.

Though not by much. A&EG was one of the most disappointing books that WotC has produced.

The Auld Grump

Voadam

Legend
Broadsides! by living imagination has the most in-depth realistic rules for sailing I've seen and plenty of ship stats. I think it is available at www.dtrpg.com for about $10 as a pdf.

It may be more rules than you'd want for a game but it simulates sailing well and makes profession sailor a useful skill.

I don't have it but Black Flag by Avalanche press is supposed to have some sailing stuff and is cheap at $3.00 on dtrpg.com.

At www.rpgnow.com I think there is also an Ars Magica sea book from Atlas games that is available as a pdf. Never seen it though.

Remove ads