I went shopping today…

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
…and I picked up the Starfinder Armory, Character Operations Manual, and 2 copies of the Core Rulebook (1 hardcover, 1 softcover). Any recommendations on what other supplements that are good/essential for running a Starfinder campaign?

Any you’d recommend avoiding?

(Give reasons, if you could be so kind.)

Ixal

Hero
You basically have nearly every book already. Not sure what is there to recommend.

There is the "Lore" books about the Pact Worlds and Near Space (Veskarium) but personally don't think the Starfinder lore is very good.
And there is the new Tech Revolution book for Mechs which I am also not a fan of thematically.
So I don't think I can give you an objective recommendation of those books are good or not.

Considering that nearly every race in Starfinder is playable you might want to get an Alien Archive if you can get it for cheap.

Ixal

Hero
Tech Revolution and the Alien Archives sound like they’re worth a look.

(Also sounds like a band, the way I phrased that…)
There are 4 Alien Archives by now (or 5)?
As it is usual, the higher the number goes the more exotic and alien the creatures in it will be. If you use the Pact Worlds setting the first and maybe second book might be better as they also detail all the aliens mentioned and living inside the main system but not being player characters (unless you have the book).

GreyLord

Legend
…and I picked up the Starfinder Armory, Character Operations Manual, and 2 copies of the Core Rulebook (1 hardcover, 1 softcover). Any recommendations on what other supplements that are good/essential for running a Starfinder campaign?

Any you’d recommend avoiding?

(Give reasons, if you could be so kind.)

I'd say if you are new to Starfinder or have new players the Star finder Beginners Box is an excellent introduction to the game that allows new players to create characters that will be easily integrated into the full game when they decide to do so.

TheAlkaizer

Game Designer
You have the best books in my opinion.

Aside from that you have...
  • Starship Operation Manual, which is good if you intend to spend a lot of time in space doing space battles. I would suggest holding off and trying the space battle rules before. Lots of people did not enjoy them. If you don't, the book is not worth it.
  • Pact Worlds, which is almost entirely lore about the default setting. If you intend to play in the default setting, it is worth it. It's great information and I had a blast reading it. But I wouldn't buy it if you plan to homebrew a good portion.
  • Alien Archive 1 through 4. These are your monster manuals. The first one is really cool because it offers a ton of really weird races for your players to play. If I remember right, the 2 and 3 don't, but the number 4 also has some player races.
  • Near Space, which is also mostly lore, but for the area around the Pact Worlds known as Near Space. I really enjoyed reading it, but it really isn't necessary unless you fall in love with the lore surrounding Vesks and want to play around their turf.
  • Tech Revolution is releasing soon (or might be). Looks interesting, but I'm already overwhelmed by all that Starfinder has to offer.

Remove ads