• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E [IC] Against the Slavelords

GreenKarl

First Post
Brak searches over the orks and notes that all of them bear a red color tattoo on their cheeks. It could be a moon he supposes, if these are the Red Moon ork tribes that the homesteader spoke of this morning. They have few copper on them but also what appear to be human scalps. Otherwise they were wearing black studded leather armor and carrying big thick chopping like longswords and axes. Two also had bows but these have mostly been smashed or destroyed. The orks seem to have been traveling light so probably a scouting party of somekind.

GM: If Brak, or anyone else, wants to make a Perception or Investigation check he can look for other clues.

BlueLotus

Explorer
[section]
Levanna listened quietly to the villagers explain their troubles. She pursed her lips in thought at the dwarf's name
"Baron Ragnar?" Levanna asked, feigning a small bit of ignorance. "I am afraid I hardly know of him. Could you tell us more about him?"
[/section]

[sblock=ooc]Levanna will go with Brak to investigate the bodies after the villagers answer.[/sblock]

[sblock='Mini Stat Block']
Levanna (Wizard 5) 5th level
Initiative: +1 Perception: +2
Passive Perception: 12
Passive Investigation: 17
Speed: 30'

AC: 11
HP 32/32

In Hand:Quarterstaff
Off Hand: None

Spell Save DC: 14

Prepared Spells:
1st: Mage Armor, Shield, Feather Fall, Magic Missile,
2nd: Misty Step, Suggestion, Invisibility, Flaming Sphere
3rd: Counterspell

Spell slots remaining/Spell slots total:
1st: 4/4/4
2nd: 3/3/3
3rd: 2/2

Active Spells (c) denotes concentration

Character Sheet
[/sblock]

GreenKarl

First Post
Brak does not notice anything else, but when Levanna knees down to poke about a bit a glint of light reflects off of small silver medallion and chain clutched in one of the ork's hands. Prying it open she sees that it is a unicorn horn. It looks very much like a religious system she has seen in the past… but of a good deity she is sure. The raider must of killed whomever worn this in the past and keep it for himself. Cedric recognizes it as a holy symbol for Ehlonna, the deity of woodlands, whom he worships.

GM: Baron Ragnar is the ‘leader’ of the village of Elreed (the village you escaped from last night) and also was captain of the ‘Iron Black Lads’ a dwarf mercenary troop with an ill reputation. The medallion is a holy symbol for Ehlonna, NG goddess of life and nature, so not to common out here on the hilly plain lands of the Wild Coast, but you are only a few days walk from the Welkwood forests. Cedric does not mention the deity he follows but its a good bet it would probably be Ehlonna as he is a forest ranger, which is why I am not making a religion roll required right now. Its not magical but probably very valuable to someone...

Scotley

Hero
Kelvyn Human Rogue

Kelvyn's keen eyes survey the scene of the battle carefully looking for details the others might have missed. He strolls around the area careful not to disturb any tracks.

GreenKarl

First Post
When Kelvyn looks around the area he sees a bit off from where the battle took place, someone dropped a piece of rolled parchment, and then it was stepped on multiple times such that it was almost completely buried in the mud and dirt. Picking it up he sees that is while stained he can make out crudely written on it. He does not know what it says but showing it around, Brak recognizes it as Orkish. The writing was smeared and washed out being in the mud so long, but he makes out...

"The great shaman of the dragon below seek much sacrifice! Seek out defenses of the manlings and bring back word. We feast much on the dead and win much favor from dragon below on next full moon. Hail Gruumsh, death to manlings and elfbreeds."

There is a symbol or a red moon below it and what appears to be a signature of one Warlock Grewarwich. Brak is pretty sure that the author of the note is not a ork or at least not a full ork (or raised by orks)

Last edited:

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Tirion Cayde, Cleric Level 5 (Life)
Road south of Elredd
Day 2/Midday

“A noble, yes, if such a claim can be had so far from home,” Tirion told the woman.

They followed the farmers to the hill where the orc bodies lay scattered about, broken and bloody. The bear tracks were pretty clear, and Cedric followed them easily to the road and beyond. The orc trail was more difficult. With the others, Tirion perused the scene, as well.

“Has this orc tribe been causing more problems than usual lately?” Tirion asked the farmers.

[sblock=Actions]
[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]
[/sblock]

[sblock=Mini Stats]
Conditions: Guidance

Inspiration: 0

Initiative: +0
Perception: +4 (Passive: 14)
Speed: 30
AC: 20 (plate and shield)
HP: 33/33 HD: 5/5d8
Main Hand: None

Prepared Spells:
Cantrips: Guidance, Thaumaturgy, Mending, Sacred Flame
1st: (Bless, Cure Wounds), Healing Word, Guiding Bolt, Command
2nd: (Lesser Restoration, Spiritual Weapon), Prayer of Healing, Hold Person, Blindness/Deafness
3rd: (Beacon of Hope, Revivify), Spirit Guardians, Dispel Magic, Mass Healing Word

Spell Slots Remaining/Total
1st: 4/4
2nd: 3/3
[/sblock]

GreenKarl

First Post
The young lady who took the group up to the site nods her head, adding "Aye, but mostly to try and steal livestock and try and burn a barn down here and there. These Red Moons started up a couple of months ago but they have been getting more aggressive in the last couple of weeks. I have been telling my mom we need to organize the families and strike back at them before they burn us all out."

She looks down at the ground and kicks some dirt with her shoe "But the elders think the orks are just going to get bored and eventually go look for easier prey, like they always do. Not this time, mark my words..."

When Tirion looks about the scene there seems to be nothing else of value to find.

BlueLotus

Explorer
[section]
As the conversation unfolded, Levanna listened in sullen slence. She looked upon the faces of the people and the pile of dead orcs. Her jaw tightened and her back stiffened. She stepped forward and locked eyes with the other woman.

"How can I help you?" Levanna asked of the young lady with her voice firm with determination. I was born in a village far from here. A village that no longer exists. If they will not head your warnings, perhaps they would from an outsider who suffered the fate that you fear for your own people."
[/section]

HP 32/32

Prepared Spells:
1st: Mage Armor, Shield, Feather Fall, Magic Missile,
2nd: Misty Step, Suggestion, Invisibility, Flaming Sphere
3rd: Counterspell

Spell slots remaining/Spell slots total:
1st: 4/4/4
2nd: 3/3/3

Active Spells (c) denotes concentration

Character Sheet
[/sblock]

GreenKarl

First Post
The young woman shrugs and replies "I can't asks you or your friends to do anything... but if I had a say... track down these Red Moons and take care of them. But I am not sure I should ask that of you either. From the numbers we have been seeing I think there must be at least three score of them wandering around in these hills. They hide out in the daylight, but we don't know where. It might be a couple of places but that don't sound like orks to me. They like to clump together when they go to ground..."

BlueLotus

Explorer
[section]
"We are on a quest of our own. Though I would certainly help in the search for these orcs, I cannot speak for the others and my path lies with them. But at least allow me to speak with your elders. Regardless of whether we can lend our aid or no, you should organize the families. If you do nothing then you place your lives on the hope that your walls alone are enough to protect you."
[/section]

HP 32/32