• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E [IC] Creamsteak's Princes of Elemental Evil

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
OOC:
OOC: Carradoc has Nature at +5 (vs. Dc 12 = 70% chance for +3) and Acrobatics at +7 (80% for +2). I expect the probabilities are all close anyways.

I say leave Nature to the druid (since only 1 can roll it), and roll acrobatics. From what I understand we need 3 players to succeed out of four, and Carradoc has a much better acrobatics check. None of us have handle animal anyways...

Thaliss feels both nervousness and excitement at riding the animal. Knowing that Savra is watching, he hides his apprehension, mounts the hippogriff, and invokes a spells to help him search the horizon.

OOC: Cast guidance, add [roll0] to roll below
Perception: [roll1]

Cast guidance again. Note that whenever Thaliss feels that the effect of guidance ends, he will cast it again, as long as combat has not started.

Shayuri

First Post
(OOC - Hehe, well, my Perception and Survival are both at +8, while Nature which is Int-based is only +5, but I can roll it and hope for the best. :) [roll0] Oh baby!)

Maighan doesn't comment much as Thaliss commits them to the chase. It's a bold move, but ingratiating themselves with these people could give them cause to open up, giving more opportunities for investigation. It would be a disaster to strike at them if her suspicions turned out to be nothing more than shadows and smoke.

As she climbed onto a hippogriff with a certain surety of footing and balance, she looked over at Thaliss and the others. "Manticores aren't strong flyers. They're slow and clumsy compared to our mounts, even with riders. It will most likely stay somewhat low, hoping to be hard to spot against the ground. To that end it would seek out terrain that was of similar color I think. Not green field or forest...but a rocky, brown area that would be harder to pick it out against. I suggest we look for the same and keep sharp eyes."

Last edited:

Creamsteak

Explorer
With the combined skills of the party it seems to be no problem to catch up to the creature. It seems to be moving exactly as the druid predicted.

The party finds the Manticore almost immediately. The creature starts off firing a volley of spikes at the foremost hippogriff. Two spikes land inflicting 14 total points of piercing damage on the mount. The creature cries out in panic and forces the rider to make a dexterity saving throw to hold on.

OOC: For reference, the hippogriffs have only 19 hit points total. I was uncertain if Thaliss was running at the front. If that's the case, his mount is the one that was attacked.

It is now the parties initiative. The Manticore begins combat at 100 feet. There's not a whole lot of reason to pay attention to a tactical map for this so I have not drawn one up.

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
OOC: Lets assume that he was in front to make things move along. Guidance will be active so this will help with the roll
Dexterity saving throw (not proficient): [roll0]
add bonus from guidance [roll1]

Forged Fury

First Post
OOC: I'm 90% positive you can only take a Bonus Action on your turn.

Frowning slightly as Thaliss' hippogriff is brought down from the sky, Tolan draws back on the string of his bow and fires two arrows, one after the other. Unfortunately, it seemed strength of arms would have to be the answer to the manticore problem.

OOC: Action - Attack: [roll0], Damage: [roll1]; Attack: [roll2], Damage: [roll3]
Movement: None, directing hippogriff to Dodge. I think that is how mounted combat works...

Of note: I swapped out Tolan's shortbow for a longbow when I rebuilt him. I updated inventory, but not his weapon chart.

Last edited:

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Thaliss looses his grip as the hippogriff bucks and recoils in pain. He starts plunging towards the ground but immediately casts a spell that will slow his fall.

Ooc: cast featherfall as a reaction. Speed is now 60 feet per round. Misty step has a range of 30ft, so please let me know if it is doable when his turn starts.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads