• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E [IC] Creamsteak's Princes of Elemental Evil

Creamsteak

Explorer
After some time you are all invited up to the great hall.

This great hall spans half the diameter of the tower. Between the overlarge windows, tapestries depict scenes of gallant knights on flying hippogriffs, fighting dragons and jousting with one another among the clouds. High on the walls are the mounted heads of griffons, wyverns, owlbears, and manticores. A long, curved table set for a feast stretches between the hall's twin hearths.

There are twelve knights in attendance in total including Savra and Shae. The other knights are all male. There are also a large number of servants around. Venison, duck, mutton, bread, cheese, wine, and brandy seem to make up most of the meal on offer.

Clad in the finest garments of velvet brocade, the knights feast at a curved table in the great hall, where twin hearths blaze. Thurl Merosska sits at the head of the table.

"Honored guests," he says. "Tell us of your adventures. I would love to know more about your experiences."

Some of the knights seem cruel and crude. Most of the men are quick to choke down huge quantities of alcohol without regard to their current state. They seem sloppy and slovenly. They banter back and forth bragging and cajoling each other. Young, arrogant, haughty men of moderate means and standing... they don't seem to have much nobility or honor.

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Not hesitating, and unafraid at speaking in public, Thaliss proceeds, his throat aching from speaking so much "Thank you for this honor, Commander Merosska! We indeed take great pride in our adventures and I am fortunate to be accompanied by valiant companions!"

Thaliss tells the story of their rescue of the Mirabarian caravan in the Sacred Stone Monastery. He will make no mention of any elemental related cult, and only the fighting of the Minotaur, the gargoyles, the critter in the pit, and the cavernous mines. He will spend all of his time on the details of the battles, and and how the prisoners were grateful.

[sblock=ooc] Thaliss would have cast guidance before proceeding, and I believe this would be a performance roll, I'll roll with advantage if Thaliss' companions add to the story & contribute

performance (not proficient) [roll0]
advantage if applicable [roll1]
plus guidance [roll2]

He will also be very attentive to his public, and will try to see if anybody is acting or reacting in a strange way
insight (not proficient) [roll3]
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Creamsteak

Explorer
Some of the knights seem to hush up and while they don't stop pouring liquid into their cups and smashing food into their faces they do seem to pay a lot of attention to your every word.

"I've not heard of minotaurs in these hills!"

"Vile monsters wander these places. I'd have ridden them down like the bulls they are."

"I rather like these characters. You couldn't possibly be serious? Oh my. I'd have given a finger to see that one."

Meroska gives a bit of a stern look at Thaliss. "I had heard of great evils that lurk among these hills. Depraved cultists led by wretched monsters. Are you sure you have not come across any signs of vile sorcery or strange oaths?"

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Meroska gives a bit of a stern look at Thaliss. "I had heard of great evils that lurk among these hills. Depraved cultists led by wretched monsters. Are you sure you have not come across any signs of vile sorcery or strange oaths?"

"I am sure the monks must have sworn some king of oath, as they fought till the last one! As to which oath that was, your guess is as good as mine! And as for the magic, I am sure those dead monks would say mine was vile!" Thaliss says this last sentence for the drunken public, hopefully to get a laugh, and to change the subject.

[sblock=ooc]Persuasion/deception roll, with no guidance since Thaliss wouldn't cast it in front of the public
mod is +8 for both Persuasion/deception [roll0]

performance roll for the laugh [roll]1d20+5[/roll]
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Forged Fury

First Post
Tolan, sitting with the other retainers and hirelings, nodded in confirmation of Thaliss' tale. Pitching his voice to be heard by the retainers, he said, "Aye, hard to believe, but my employer is telling the truth. The monks were all fists and feet, but a good length of steel put 'em six feet under. The minotaur was a tough beastie, but not nearly as bad as the gargoyles. Hide as tough as stone, they had. So what kind of varmints have you run into here in the valley with your employers?"

Shayuri

First Post
True to form, Maighan sat demurely; the humble servant, but her eyes flitted from person to person, nearly hidden under the lip of her hood. As they joked and bantered and bragged, she watched Meroska and the other ranking knights. It was interesting they were prying about the cult, yes? Was it just because they'd run afoul of them? Or were they concerned about the fate of distant brothers?

Insight
[roll0]

Creamsteak

Explorer
"I am sure the monks must have sworn some king of oath, as they fought till the last one! As to which oath that was, your guess is as good as mine! And as for the magic, I am sure those dead monks would say mine was vile!" Thaliss says this last sentence for the drunken public, hopefully to get a laugh, and to change the subject.

[sblock=ooc]Persuasion/deception roll, with no guidance since Thaliss wouldn't cast it in front of the public
mod is +8 for both Persuasion/deception [roll0]

performance roll for the laugh [roll0]
[/sblock]

The male knights, one and all, seem out of their gourds laughing even without any comprehension of what's going on. The female knights seem a bit more than exhausted with their compatriots. Meroska seems quite pleased, yet distracted.

Tolan, sitting with the other retainers and hirelings, nodded in confirmation of Thaliss' tale. Pitching his voice to be heard by the retainers, he said, "Aye, hard to believe, but my employer is telling the truth. The monks were all fists and feet, but a good length of steel put 'em six feet under. The minotaur was a tough beastie, but not nearly as bad as the gargoyles. Hide as tough as stone, they had. So what kind of varmints have you run into here in the valley with your employers?"

One of the serving boys responds, "Bandits, orcs, trolls, and fey. Strange feral bird men and harpies. If you really want to see, crawl around at the base of the cliff. Lots of refuse down there."

True to form, Maighan sat demurely; the humble servant, but her eyes flitted from person to person, nearly hidden under the lip of her hood. As they joked and bantered and bragged, she watched Meroska and the other ranking knights. It was interesting they were prying about the cult, yes? Was it just because they'd run afoul of them? Or were they concerned about the fate of distant brothers?

Insight
[roll0]

[sblock=Maighan]Meroska definitely seems to be prying based on some amount of knowledge he's holding back. A few of the servants seem to glance knowingly as he speaks. The knights, largely, seem oblivious. When one of the men asks for another pour of his drink, you notice that the brandy is coming from a container matching those you've seen in the monk's monastery.[/sblock]

After a few more moments the doors to the great hall fly open and a sentry from the pinnacle shouts, "Manticore! It's on the move!"

"We should take this opportunity to slay the monster," Thurl says. From his finger he removes a feather-patterned golden ring set with a garnet and holds it aloft, saying, "A prize for the one who brings me the beast's head!"

One of the drunken louts tries to stand and falls from his seat onto his table. Two servants swarm to his side to aid him. Others are slower to react. The glazed over look on some of their eyes or their lecherous stares show their lacking dedication to this challenge.

Thurl seems noticeably agitated. "Can you imbeciles not control yourselves?"

Forged Fury

First Post
Tolan's pointed ears perked up under his straw hat at the announcement. Manticore were known as fierce, and often times sadistic, predators. A manticore prowling the Dessarin Valley was a bad thing for all involved. Thurl's push to slay the monster disturbed him slightly... he wondered if there was another way to deal with the creature. They were rumored to be somewhat intelligent. The elf tried to make eye contact with the rest of the party, perhaps if they undertook the quest, they could get in Thurl's good graces.

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
"We should take this opportunity to slay the monster," Thurl says. From his finger he removes a feather-patterned golden ring set with a garnet and holds it aloft, saying, "A prize for the one who brings me the beast's head!"

I would rather see that ring on one of our hands, than on his Thaliss says, for the minds of his companions only. Sensing the eagerness for action in them, he says with a big grin for the room to hear "Allow us to show you that our stories were true!" He then offers them a bow, and heads outside to see where the beast is.

Remove ads