• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

IC: Dichotomy's Age of Worms Redux, Part II

Dichotomy

Explorer
Viktor, realizing the wisdom of not venturing into the web, sheathes his bow, takes a step back, and picks up his axe.

While Bub struggles in vain to get through the webs, Llyr takes a step back from the incorporeal undead and begins casting a spell.

The spider swarm that Llyr had summoned continues to feast on his companion's blood. The swarm also spread's to cover the nearest purple-robed man as well.

As the undead creature pops up from the floor, Dav strikes at it with his magic sword. Unfortunately, the magic metal slides harmless through it.

Alexis channels yet more divine power at it, but it ignores her yet again.

The undead strikes Llyr yet again. The man's mind is crumbling into incoherence as the negative energy attacks him. The undead seems to grow stronger as this happens.

The door to the north opens, and two more purple-robed men come out. Each casts a spell from a scroll, and a beam of fire streaks toward Dav and Llyr in turn. While the bolt heading for Dav simply misses the mark, Llyr is burnt well by his.

As the man yet unseen finishes his spell, and huge centipede fills the eastern opening. It's coloration and the like suggest to Alexis that the creature has a distant mix of demon or devil blood. It squeezes into the room, ignoring his grasping from the pillars, and bites Llyr. While the man resists the poison, his wounds are extremely great.

The man that summoned the centipede steps back toward the doorway. Unlike the others, he wears green robes and wears a leather mask set with iron studs. His hands are covered with tattoos, and in his hand he holds a carved rod. He cast a spell creating a shield around him. At this point, all of the human foes have faint glimmering magical effects visible around them.

The first two purple-clad men each take a step away from the action and drink a potion. There wounds close.

[sblock=OOC]Viktor: sheathe bow; 5-foot step; pick up axe
Llyr: 5-foot step; casting
Bub: STR check, 6+, fail (I interpreted "Each round devoted to moving allows the creature to make a new Strength check [...]" as only allowing one such check, not one for each move action)
Swarm: eats Bub more, 6 damage; poison save 3+, success; nauseation save 16+ success; also eats 1, 5 damage; poison 6+, fail, 2 STR damage; nauseation 19+, success
Brannak: nothing (gets to act next round)
Alexis: readies
3: comes up from the floor
Dav: ready triggers; attacks 3, 8+7, hit; incorporeal miss chance 67, fail
Alexis: ready triggers; turns, 13+, fail
3: moves (Dav AoO, 3+ miss); attacks L, 17+, hit, 2 WIS drain
4: opens door; 5-foot step; scorching ray L; 18+, hit, 11 damage
5: moves; sorching ray D, 2+, miss
7: appears; squeezes/moves (pillar fails to grapple it); attacks L, 12+5-4, hit, 15 damage; poison save 7, success (L concentration check 6+, fail, spell fizzles)
6: moves; casts shield
1: 5-foot step; draw potion; drink
2: same thing

Status & Init:
1: 0 damage; 2 STR damage
2: 0 damage; 1 STR damage
Viktor: dodge against 2
Llyr: 26 damage; 5 WIS drain
Bub: 12 damage; raging; entangled
Swarm: 7 damage
Brannak:
Dav: protection from evil, 17 rounds remain
Alexis:
3:
4:
5:
7:
6:

All allies: +1 to saves vs charm and fear; +1 to attack and weapon damage rolls; 4 rounds remain
[sblock=SPECIAL SBLOCK JUST FOR ME!!!]Enemy Status:
4, 5: shield of faith +3 (58 rds); protection from arrows (30/30 damage); mage armor
2: as 4 (-1 rd duration)
1: as 4, minus mage armor
3: 10 temp hps
6: mage armor; shield of faith +4 (118 rds); false life (11 hps); shield

Hypnotism: done
Centipede: 12 rounds remain[/SBLOCK][/SBLOCK]

Last edited:

TiCaudata

First Post
Bub continues to fight the webs while Llyr pales at the sight of the monster and quickly heals himself.[sblock=OC]Bub will just go due north until he gets to #2 this time. Llyr will cast CLW defensively on himself.[/sblock]

worthley

First Post
Viktor makes his way back into the large room, ignoring the giant insect in the room he sets his sights on the ghost, and swings his axe at it.
[sblock=ooc]move to the west side of the ghost and attack it, switching my dodge bonus against it (I should be able to get there)
[sblock=If I can't get to the ghost]I will double move to the north side of it, using the ghost as cover in my path so I don't take and AoO from the centipede, and change my dodge bonus to be against the centipede[/sblock][/sblock]

Dichotomy

Explorer
[sblock=OOC]I don't know how to interpret what you mean, worthley. I presume what you mean is "if Vitkor can get there with only 20' of movement without crossing the square that the pillar is in." He can't. Do you want to do it anyway, and possibly get attacked by the hands, or go around?

Edit: I spoke to Ti, and he made it clear to me that, based upon conversations between you, that worthley wants Viktor to take the long way around to avoid the pillar.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Dichotomy

Explorer
Viktor moves, avoiding the pillar. Though the warrior thought he was taking care, both the undead and the centipede take swipes at him. While the vermin misses, Viktor feels his mind attacked by madness.

Llyr easily heals himself, while Bub again struggles with failure.

The spider swarm feasts more upon the wolverine's blood.
[sblock=OOC]Viktor: double moves
3: AoO on V, 8+, hit, 4 WIS drain
7: AoO on V (you CAN'T get sufficient cover; it is huge and has reach), 13+, miss (thank goodness for that dodge bonus)
Llyr: conc check 12+, success; 9 hps
Bub: STR check 3+, fail
Swarm: eats U, 4 damage; poison 4+ success; nauseation 9+ success (I THINK it ceases to exist before its next action, right?)

Status & Init:
1: 0 damage; 2 STR damage
2: 0 damage; 1 STR damage
Viktor: 4 WIS drain; dodge against 7
Llyr: 17 damage; 5 WIS drain
Bub: 16 damage; raging; entangled
Swarm: 7 damage
Brannak:
Dav: protection from evil, 17 rounds remain
Alexis:
3:
4:
5:
7:
6:

All allies: +1 to saves vs charm and fear; +1 to attack and weapon damage rolls; 4 rounds remain
4, 5: shield of faith +3 (58 rds); protection from arrows (30/30 damage); mage armor
3: 10 temp hps
6: mage armor; shield of faith +4 (118 rds); false life (11 hps); shield

Hypnotism: done
Centipede: 12 rounds remain[/SBLOCK][/SBLOCK]

o3caudata

First Post
Alexis pauses momentarily, gaining some visible courage, and moves toward the huge centipede.

[sblock=oc]Alexis cast shield of faith, moves 20' east.[/sblock]

worthley

First Post
Viktor, feeling light headed from the attack from the spirit, takes advantage of Llyr's position and swings his enchanted axe at the undead infront of him.
[sblock=ooc]attack the ghosty thing, if it dies, I want to 5' step west[/sblock]

Last edited:

michael_noah

First Post
Brannak comes to his senses finally. Hearing the fight in the other room still rages, he continues on his planned path, opening the door and rushing around.

TiCaudata

First Post
[sblock=oc]If he's still standing, Llyr will defensively cast SNA II. Bub will keep on keeping on until he can reach #2 and kill him.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Dichotomy

Explorer
Brannak snaps to his senses and moves forward. He enters a room with two long, wooden tables. He sees that they are covered with beakers, alchemical tools, and other devices. Several bookshelves line the walls, and beside some shelving stands a decorative human skeleton with some intact glistening organs inside. A black iron cauldron stands in the middle, sealed shut by a thick layer of wax. Brannak reaches the closed door on the other side of the room.

Dav takes a step and strikes the incorporeal undead, managing to land a hit. However, the creature seems little affected.

Alexis casts her spell and moves closer to the battle.

The undead attacks Dav, but misses and sinks back into the floor.

One of the purple-clad men retrieves a scroll and casts another web into the room. While the party avoids the worst of the effects, they are well-trapped.

The huge centipede tries to bite Viktor, but cannot break through his armor. The remaining men all wait, aside from the green-robed man that steps into the room and casts his eyes over the webbed party.

Vitkor lashes out at the vermin and hacks a good wound into it.

Llyr begins casting a spell, but as he does, the green-robed man casts a spell sending three missles of force at the man, dropping him.

Bub, meanwhile, makes it to the edge of the web.

[sblock=OOC]Brannak: opens door; moves
Dav: 5-foot step; attacks 3, 9+, 11%, hit, 8 damage
Alexis: shield of faith; moves (squeezing next to the alter to avoid the first pillar)
3: attacks D; 5+, miss; 5-foot step into the floor
4: retrieves scroll; casts web; ref saves: A-12+ success; D-9+ success; L-17+ success; 5-foot step
5: delays
7: attacks V, 12+, miss
6: moves; readies
1: delays
2: delays
Viktor: attacks 7, 19+, hit, 16 damage
Llyr: casting def 16+, success; entangled 13+ success
6: ready triggers; magic missle L; 12 damage
Llyr: drops; spell obviously fails
Bub: STR check 21; moves 10' N
Swarm: vanishes

Status & Init:
1: 0 damage; 2 STR damage; delayed
2: 0 damage; 1 STR damage; delayed
Viktor: 4 WIS drain; dodge against 7
6:
Llyr: 29 damage; 5 WIS drain; unconscious and dying
Bub: 16 damage; raging; entangled
Brannak:
Dav: protection from evil, 16 rounds remain
Alexis: shield of faith, 40 rounds
3: 8 damage
4:
5: delayed
7:

All allies: +1 to saves vs charm and fear; +1 to attack and weapon damage rolls; 2 rounds remain (I think i missed ticking off a round in there somewhere)
4, 5: shield of faith +3 (57 rds); protection from arrows (30/30 damage); mage armor
3: 2 temp hps
6: mage armor; shield of faith +4 (117 rds); false life (11 hps); shield

Centipede: 11 rounds remain[/sblock][/sblock]

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads