• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

IC [DW] From the Outside

TillForPie

First Post
"Good Afternoon Sir Knight," he says eventually. "I am Tillian, the Steward here. Can I help you?"
"Mayhap you can. I'm Tristan Le Pennec. I mean to introduce myself to your master. Take news to the lord of this place that I am here on grim business." He keeps both golden eyes on Tillian, letting the horrible claw marks on his armor speaks for his quest.

[sblock=Tristan Le Pennec][section]
Tristan Le Pennec
Human Paladin
Looks Glowing Eyes, Helmeted, Worn Holy Symbol, Bulky Body
Alignment Lawful: Deny mercy to a criminal or unbeliever

Maximum Health 25 Current Health 25 Armor 3 Base Damage 1d10
STR 16 (+2) CON 15 (+1) DEX 8 (-1) INT 12 (+0) WIS 13 (+1) CHA 9 (+0)

Gear (Load 6/28)
Long Sword (close, +1 damage, 1 weight)
Shield (+1 armor, 1 weight)
Scale Armor (+2 armor, 3 weight)
Medallion of Our Virgin Mother the Lady of Tranquility (0 weight)
Adventuring Gear (1 weight)​

[sblock=Paladin Moves]Human When you pray for guidance, even for a moment, and ask, “What here is evil?” the GM will tell you, honestly.

Lay on Hands When you touch someone, skin to skin, and pray for their well-being, roll+CHA. On a 10+ you heal 1d8 damage or remove one disease. On a 7–9, they are healed, but the damage or disease is transferred to you.

Armored You ignore the clumsy tag on armor you wear.

I am the Law When you give an NPC an order based on your divine authority, roll+Cha. On a 7+, they choose one: Do what you say; Back away cautiously, then flee, or; Attack you. On a 10+, you also take +1 forward against them. On a miss, they do as they please and you take -1 forward against them.[/sblock][sblock=Quest and Bonds]Quest
Tristan's quest is to slay the monster, a great blight on the land.
His boons are
Invulnerability to bite damage, and
A freedom from hunger, thirst, and sleep.[/sblock]
[/section][/sblock]

doghead

thotd
Day Four, mid afternoon, at the gates of the keep

Tillian nods once.

"Well come Sir Tristan.

"Both Lord and Lady Pemberton are away at this time. Lord Pemberton is assisting with the planting in Hengistead. Lady Pemberton is in Thornstead seeing to a sick child. I am expecting them back before tonight.

"You are welcome to await their return. There is a fire burning in the hall and I can have warm water provided if you would like to clean up a little.

"Are you travelling alone?" [1]

[sblock=Notes][1] For the moment I am assuming the others are not with Tristan.

Here are some questions?
What two words best describe the House Pennac?
Which branch of the House, if there are branches, does Tristan belong to?
Who is the most well known member of the house, and what are they famous (or infamous) for?
What is said about the House by those who do not favour it?[/sblock]

TillForPie

First Post
If nobody came with Tristan he'll answer Tillian's last question in the affirmative.

"Provided and accepted. I've been a while in the wild and could use cleaning." He follows the steward in.

[sblock=Tristan Le Pennec][section]
Tristan Le Pennec
Human Paladin

Gear (Load 6/28)

[sblock=Paladin Moves]Human When you pray for guidance, even for a moment, and ask, “What here is evil?” the GM will tell you, honestly.

Lay on Hands When you touch someone, skin to skin, and pray for their well-being, roll+CHA. On a 10+ you heal 1d8 damage or remove one disease. On a 7–9, they are healed, but the damage or disease is transferred to you.

I am the Law When you give an NPC an order based on your divine authority, roll+Cha. On a 7+, they choose one: Do what you say; Back away cautiously, then flee, or; Attack you. On a 10+, you also take +1 forward against them. On a miss, they do as they please and you take -1 forward against them.[/sblock][sblock=Quest and Bonds]Quest
His boons are
[/section][/sblock]
What two words best describe the House Pennac?
Which branch of the House, if there are branches, does Tristan belong to?
Who is the most well known member of the house, and what are they famous (or infamous) for?
What is said about the House by those who do not favour it?[/sblock]
1.) Religion & Valor
2.) Tristan is of the main line
3.) Govran Le Pennec, Tristan's grandfather - Marched with dozens of men against a force of hundreds and prevailed, supposedly slaying the enemy commander personally in the melee
4.) That they are a backwood family far fallen from the days of Govran and that there must be some terrible secret to explain how eager many of its sons are to join the clergy or quest in faraway lands

doghead

thotd
Day Four, late afternoon, in the keep

Tristan is shown the hall. There is indeed a decent fire burning. Although the day is warm enough, the hall retains the chill of winter and the fire is welcome. Warm water is provided as is a plate of food. After the initial flurry of activity, Tristan is largely left to himself for the next few hours. Someone pops their head in now and then to see if he needs anything, and perhaps to make sure he isn't up to anything.

Lord Pemberton arrives home as the day slides into early evening. Still dusty from his day in the field, he joins Tristan in front of the fire. He drops into a chair and kicks off his boots before drawing deeply on the drink provided by Tillain.

He waves Tristan back into his seat.

"Please sit. It will save me from having to crane my neck.

"So Sir Knight, what brings you [and your companions] to our little corner of the world. Judging by your appearance I have a feeling that it will be interesting."

Edit: [added to bring in the other characters]

Last edited:

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Trickle gazes down towards the farms. "Ah, what a lovely little pastoral tableau. If I had any skill in painting I would take a moment or two and set this down on canvas. Presuming I had one. See! Look over there. The stretching shadows like the fingers of something dark and sinister coming out of the forest, reaching for the innocents of the village. Almost enough to unnerve a fellow." He takes a moment to scratch at his belly and looks sidelong at Tristan. "A bit of gossip and a bite or two if they have it to spare would be just the thing to find out what's really going on around here."

Khirynnax stands on the alert and looks out over scene. Of course the knight would want to go to the keep and of course Trickle would want to head to the village. "Courtesies of court might delay us overlong. What do you think, Hawthorne?"

"Maybe so, but what we would gain would be far more than any time lost. Come, let us join our knight and see where the people take us."

Hawthorne is used to speaking with strangers, of dispensing advice about matters of the heart or of Ushane's domain, and does not find walking up to a village or keep of people intimidating. Regret, loneliness, bitterness, those hold far more fear for her than anything else. Brushing down her robes, Hawthorne heads towards the village and keep, hoping to find Tristan and those whom he has met.

doghead

thotd
[sblock=Timeline]Sweet.

Hawthorne, Khirynnax & Trickle arrive at the Keep after Tristan, but before Lord Pemberton.

Like Tristan, they are shown to the hall and offered the chance to freshen up and a some food.[/sblock]

TillForPie

First Post
Tristan is gracious in his introductions to the lord of the keep but lets the others speak for themselves.

"Three fortnights I've been hotfoot on the trail of a monster," Tristan begins, "as terrible in its countenance as it is in its disposition. I met with it near three weeks ago - it unhorsed me," the old knight brings a hand to the long claw marks across the scales of his armor, "and gave me these. I'm here in search of resupply and news of sightings of the creature. These," he gestures to the others, "are travelers met on the road. They have been of great assistance to me."

Tristan narrows his eyes briefly at the Lord. My Lady, he offers in a silent prayer he's made a thousand thousand times, show me the nature of his heart so I might better do your will.

[sblock=OOC]I'm using the paladin move that enables me to detect evil.[/sblock][sblock=Tristan Le Pennec][section]
Tristan Le Pennec
Human Paladin

Gear (Load 6/28)

His boons are
[/section][/sblock]

doghead

thotd
Day Five, late afternoon, in the hall of the Keep.

"Three fortnights I've been hotfoot on the trail of a monster," Tristan begins, "as terrible in its countenance as it is in its disposition. I met with it near three weeks ago - it unhorsed me," the old knight brings a hand to the long claw marks across the scales of his armor, "and gave me these. I'm here in search of resupply and news of sightings of the creature. These," he gestures to the others, "are travelers met on the road. They have been of great assistance to me."

Lord Pemberton frowns slightly.

"These are indeed troubled days. I have heard of talk in the village of a beast howling in the Weir-wood. Brand Torak is the man to talk to. He is the Warden and knows more than anyone about the goings on the in the region."

[sblock=OCC]Something in the room, not Lord Pemberton, humms with a malevolent intensity. It seems to be emanating from a painting on a nearby wall. The painting is of a knight and his lady relaxing in a garden. Several servants populate the background. The style of the clothes suggests that it a few decades old at least.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Hawthorne, priestess of Ushane

Hawthorne is grateful at the offer of being able to clean up, and of being able to dine on food not prepared by her own hands. She happily rinses off the road dust and partakes of the pleasant meal before going led on to where Tristan is sitting and waiting for the lord.

"Good Knight! I say, you do travel rather fast. What a lovely place you have found, village and keep both. I will admit, I more often counsel the children of nobility, rather than the nobility themselves. What have you to say to them here? My own questions more involve a place we were bid... A place we are going," Hawthorne says, hoping he won't pick up on her slip. She doubts that Sir Tristan has much need of a being like the Witching Troll, and she could make him uncomfortable in the extreme.

Remove ads