• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E [IC] Escape from Castle Illvithar

Azurewraith

Explorer
"I thought the same but then it could also be a clever trap" Naeris wanders over to the food "all rotten someone left in a hurry this is all very perplexing"

Uller

Adventurer
Siljar rummages through the book on Deities and Divinations. "Aha! I'm sure this is a copy of Milandira's Salacious Inclination!" as if everyone else should know what he is talking about. When everyone just sort of stares, nods or shurgs he impatiently explains "With this, we can determine what is magical and what is not! Give me a moment!"

He begins reading aloud the incantations and using his orb to focus his energy. After about 10 minutes, black smoke begins to rise from the orb. He breaths it in through is mouth and nose...closes his eyes and holds his breath for a moment, then opens them and lets out a gasp. His eyes are not black orbs. He begins to look about the room, particularly at the two tomes of concern: "A Book of Vile Darkness" and "Nothing to See Here".

OOC:
He casts Detect Magic as a ritual. It lasts 10 minutes (Concentration).

Also...can Siljar make an Arcana check to see if he recognizes anything else about the books just based on their names?

Arcana [roll0]

...or if he knows anything about their history:

History: [roll1]

Last edited:

Creamsteak

Explorer
The arcane circle is magical. It appears to be tethered to a Warren unfamiliar. Conjuration is the aura.

A Book of Vile Darkness screams magical. Necromancy is probably the biggest aura.

Nothing to see here seems absolutely undetectable.

The wand is definitely magic. Divination is the aura.

The bedpan is magic.

The cloth wrapped object is magical.

The trunks all have a magical aura around them and various things inside them.

None of these books have been known to you historically except possibly the Book of Vile Darkness.

Uller

Adventurer
OOC: Siljar explains (in as close to layman's terms as he can muster) what he is able to detect and relates that he doesn't know much about what the Book of Vile Darkness is...but he doesn't recommend touching it.

He takes a moment to detect the school of magic for any of the other auras in the following order:

The object wrapped in cloth, the trunks (not the contents...he recommends not touching the trunks), the bedpan.

"I am most curious about that book" he points at 'Nothing to See Here'. "I suspect it is a trap but it may also be meant to seem like a trap to misdirect us."

After he stares at several of the magical objects a bit more, he examines the wand closely but without touching it.

Azurewraith

Explorer
"So the question is what is safe to touch? This room must belong to whomever captured us there must be some clue" Naeris is pacing round the room not entirely speaking to himself but not speaking to anyone.

Forged Fury

First Post
For some reason, the gods had gifted the halfling race with a certain amount of uncharacteristic courage, although some might call it foolhardiness. Approaching the bookshelf, Whisper pulled out a dagger. Looking to Siljar, she rasped, "I'll be the guinea pig, everyone might want to get out of the room."

Once the room is cleared, or others have decided to brave the consequences, she used her cloak to avoid skin contact and pulled Nothing to See Here from the shelf, placing it near the fireplace. Ducking, she skittered as far away from the book as she could while still being able to reach it and lifted the cover using her dagger as a tool, ducking her head in the event of some horrible calamity.

OOC: D20 roll for any potential saving throw she needs to make: [roll0]

...and here's hoping nothing came from that, LOL!

Uller

Adventurer
OOC: If Siljar still has Unseen Servant going (1 hour, no concentration) then he will point out to Whisper that he can move the book without touching it...but he isn't particularly urgent about it, because he is also curious to see what will happen to the "guinea pig"

Remove ads