IC - Mad King's Monkey II

doghead

thotd
Day five, early morning, at the hall of the Gentle Community

Bayar and Jan

Mr Whistle considers for a moment.

"Another half-bell and we would have been done for the night." He scrubs his face.

"Right then, lets get this man to the hall."

The dead goblin is gathered up and placed on the cart. Mr Crossbow is despatched to get the patrol officer from the station house and meet them at the temple. The crowd is told to move on.

It takes about ten minutes to get to the hall.

At the Gentle Community hall the chief priest heals Jan (as they do for any who need it), returning the Bard to consciousness. No price is mentioned. But you are all familiar with the Gentle Community sect and how it works. Most of those who receive help could not afford to pay in coin, although coin is acceptable. They give back in kind; either goods or labour, or a debt to be repaid. Not doing so would immediately earn you a bad name among any who know of it. Given their work, the Gentle Community sect is widely respected by those who rely on its services.

As Jan is being seen to, Mr Whistle moves over to the body of the goblin. He motions for Bayar to join him.

"Thought that you had killed one of those kids from the orphanage. Damned near had you cut in two.

"So tell about the goblin. And I want the whole story."

From the questions Mr Whistle asks, it clear that while he is no scholar, he is no fool either. While Bayar talk, Mr Whistle inspects the goblin's equipment; a hand axe, several throwing knives and darts, two smoke sticks, an alchemist's fire, a tangle foot bag, studded leather armour, half a dozen silver coins.

"What do you make of this," he says, interrupting Bayar and holding up one of the knives. "Its quality workmanship. That looks like a maker's mark to me. But its been defaced, can't make it out."

[sblock=OOC]Cure Moderate Wounds Spell 13hp regained. Money is acceptable.

Axel - the people here would be unlikely to react badly to knowing who Bayar worked for. Among those of the criminal disposition, sure, it wouldn't earn him any friends. As for the Watch, someone working for a Baron is more likely to get a fair hearing than a random mercenary.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
The weakened bard wakes with a start* as what he saw when he went down was a different view to what he sees now. . .but hearing the voice of Bayer brings a comfort of familiarity. He quietly asks the pries assisting him what the standard price for such services is when he hears of a maker's mark on a weapon.

"Bayer, if you don't recognize it, can I take a gander at it?"

*ooc: When I woke from my coma, It was a bit of a jolt as the last I remember being in an emergency room and talking, where I woke to a ICU whit a Trach tube in my throat. I imagine it would be similar for our bard falling in one sight and wakening in another - and not sure if it was friendly or not.

Last edited:

doghead

thotd
Day Five, in the Hall of the Gentle Community.

The weakened bard wakes with a start* as what he saw when he went down was a different view to what he sees now. . .but hearing the voice of Bayer brings a comfort of familiarity. He quietly asks the pries assisting him what the standard price for such services is when he hears of a maker's mark on a weapon.

The priest assists Jan to his feet. 40gp is the regular price for the spell if you are paying in gold. Otherwise, they take items in trade. Some people do work in return, although that generally happens over a longer period.

[sblock=OOC]I can imagine. I remember coming out of a general and being completely disorientated and somewhat freaked out. Its not so much that I didn't know where I was as I didn't know who I was for a moment.[/sblock]

Axel

First Post
Bayar laughs at the watchman's statement. "Many men be trying to cut me in half. None have yet, thought maybe I just be too thick to split!"

On the subject of goblins, Bayar tells his tale, though not from the beginning...and only after paying the two cart men their fee.

"We be staying at the Baron's house, be running errands for him before passing through. Got in day before yesterday. Now last night, last night be very strange. We - five of us - be attacked in our beds by a swarm of rats!" Bayar pauses at this point to show the bites on his arms and legs from just a few hours ago.

"I never be seeing such a thing! They be leaving quickly like, and we all be running out the loft to find out more. We be finding more, but not the rats. We be finding the cook's boy near dead... I not being one to let assassins into 'is Lord's house, we be tracking with a dog."

"Be seeing two in the end, a little one and a man...thought they be father and son at first. We be losing the man in an alley not far from where we be meeting, but we still be seeing the little one. He be using many tricks on me - see this and this, I be thinking?" Bayar points out the alchemical fire flask and the tanglefoot bag. "This one be a glue bomb, and this one be a fire bomb. You be careful with them," he adds, showing the scorches on his shield, boots and trousers as he speaks.

"We be splitting up then. Jan and I be chasing the little one. The others and the dog be tracking the big one again. I be thinking you be knowing how this story be ending... Jan be going round the corner ahead of me and be dead without the dieing by when I be rounding the corner. The goblin be taking the first swing, but I be taking the last," he concluded with a self satisfied smile on his face.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
ooc: 13+ (-9)=+4 hp!

"Brother, thank you." He gives 50 gold coins and a pat on the shoulder, "A little extra to go toward where someone may be short on payment, or for charity to the town folk."

"I think I can get a few . . . . more . . . . " Jan searches himself for the healing wand, "Bayer, I think the healing wand fell off my person when I was felled by the creep!"

Wait a second, I carry 2 wands, which one did he get?:

from Eban: Wand cure light wounds wand With 21 charges -11 charges 2-15-14
from self: wand restful sleep 25 charges

Last edited:

doghead

thotd
Day Five, early morning, in the Hall of the Gentle Community

"Brother, thank you." He gives 50 gold coins and a pat on the shoulder, "A little extra to go toward where someone may be short on payment, or for charity to the town folk."

The priest places his hand on your shoulder. "You are welcome. Go with Grace." [1]

"I think I can get a few . . . . more . . . . " Jan searches himself for the healing wand, "Bayer, I think the healing wand fell off my person when I was felled by the creep!"

[sblock=OOC]Wait a second, I carry 2 wands, which one did he get? - Your choice.

[1] Gain a +1 competence bonus on a single attack roll, saving throw, or skill check.
Duration: until expended.

BTW, what did you want to do with the goblin knife?[/sblock]

doghead

thotd
Day Five, early in the morning, in the Hall of the Gentle Community

On the subject of goblins, Bayar tells his tale, though not from the beginning...and only after paying the two cart men their fee.

Which they accept with gratitude.

Mr Whistle listens to Bayar's tale with an increasing long face. You can almost see the gears turning as he calculates how much time this is will delay getting off watch.

He clarifies one or two points. Which Baron? (as this is the Ducal seat, all of the Baron's have a residence here.) Who are the others, and which way did they go? He doesn't press to hard, ever since Bayar mentioned working for the Baron, there is a subtle shift in attitude. For one thing, he starts addressing the fighter as Herr Bayar.

Mr Whistle also questions Herr Jan when the bard is up again.

Mr Whistle does insist that you wait until his superior arrives, which takes about 10 minutes. Then another round of questions.

Finally Mr Superior dismisses Mr Whistle and his squad, sending them back to the station house with the goblin body, to record their report and wait for Mr Superior to return. Mr Whistle looks decidedly downcast.

Bayar and Jan are also free to go, providing they remain available for further questions if required. [1]

About half an hour has passed.

[sblock=OOC][1]If there is anything you want to do before leaving, obviously, you can.[/sblock]

doghead

thotd
Day five, early morning, somewhere in the city behind the docks

Libros, Thuan and Ulllara and Bran

The three of you back out of the square into the street down which you arrived. Thuan steps around the projectiles, batting away the few that get close. Libros [DAM 1 non-lethal] and Ullara [DAM 2 non-lethal] each suffer a few knocks.

If you can't go through the square, the only other option is to work your way around the square to the other exits, which would take too much time. The city is waking, rapidly erasing any trace of the scent.

The trail has gone cold.

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Ullara Halx, female human druid with dog companion Bran

Libros, Thuan and Ulllara and Bran

The three of you back out of the square into the street down which you arrived. Thuan steps around the projectiles, batting away the few that get close. Libros [DAM 1 non-lethal] and Ullara [DAM 2 non-lethal] each suffer a few knocks.

If you can't go through the square, the only other option is to work your way around the square to the other exits, which would take too much time. The city is waking, rapidly erasing any trace of the scent.

The trail has gone cold.

"Well, that could have gone better. Libros, thank you for defending me, Thuan, my thanks as well."

Ullara takes a moment to comfort Bran, reassuring him he'd done the best he could.

"We must be more careful in the future. In the Witchwood, people were not as unfamiliar with magic. I did not realize such strong reactions were held by city-dwellers."

She looks into the square, brow furrowed.

"I think those men were paid. If so, maybe someone saw them do it, or someone saw our prey going through the crowd. But Bran cannot track through such a press. He usually only hunts for himself, not for me, and he did well enough to get us this far. We will have to rely on human senses and skills if we are to get any further, if we can find anyone who didn't witness that fracas. Coin might get us information, but I do not have an infinite amount to spare, and showing too much around may get us dead rather than what we need. What say you?"

Remove ads