Slots
1st: [] [] [] []
2nd: [] []
1/Long Rest: []Feather Fall; [X} Levitate;

Prepared spells
Cantrip: Shocking Grasp; Toll the Dead; Decompose
1st Heroism; Shield of Faith; compelled duel; Charm Person*; Exped retreat*
2nd Locate Object, Invisibility*,Aid; Mirror Image*

Despite the gloom, Orris' Genasai eyes seemed to penetrate the dark recesses of the alley. Those eyes turned to Garrick, narrowing with suspicion,

"How quaint. Don't mind me if I arm my shield."

I didn't really say it before but I think roaming gloomy side streets is a good time to take precautions. If I don't get an opportunity, that's fine because, maybe, Orris is a bit over-confident.

Last edited:

Nordom

Explorer
Garrick frowned, scratching his head. "Honestly, I haven't the foggiest idea," he admitted with a sigh. "Never seen a sickness bring people to such madness and violence before. And that accursed black ichor..." He shivered involuntarily before continuing. "It seems to warp them, body and soul. Not natural, that's for sure. But demons or devils..or anything else responsible? Can't claim any knowledge there."

Garrick shifted his feet, looking increasingly troubled in response to Orris' observation. "Aye, it's...quaint. Very quaint." He trailed off, unease written across his weathered features. After a moment standing frozen, Garrick turned to the group with a helpless shrug. "I'm terribly sorry, but I'm well and truly lost now. These tenements, this alley...none of it looks familiar at all." He gestured around in dismay. "Don't know how we got so turned around. It's like we wandered straight out of the real streets and into some strange corner that doesn't belong... "

I think it's the town sliding"

Last edited:

Li Shenron

Legend
Grim scoffs slightly at Garrick's admission, but doesn't otherwise display any resentment towards their guide, as if somehow understanding how things simply go wrong by a myriad of reasons in a place such as this abyssal town. Without particular haste, she once again pulls up her scarf over her mouth and nose, this time at least to try and forget about the local miasma. She's been keeping an eye open throughout their journey to avoid touching anything or anyone, especially things that look wet or soggy.

"So what are we supposed to do from here then, backtrack? I do not like the look of these buildings, but I can't say I've found anything else to like around these neighborhoods anyway..."

As she speaks she's glancing around a bit without straying from her position, taking a quick visual assessment of the area around, each door or window or corner, for any sign of movement or threat.

Nordom

Explorer
The empty alley exploded into chaos as crossbow bolts rained suddenly from the decrepit tenements looming on either side. Garrick, who had been leading the companions confidently despite the unfamiliar surroundings, reacted a heartbeat too slow. With no time to cry out or take cover, a vrossbow bolt pierced his throat in a burst of black ichor before he toppled limply to the refuse-strewn pavement. More quarrels bristled from his back - their guide had been caught utterly unaware and now lay lifeless.

Grim's sharp eyes glimpsed shadowy figures lining the open windows, but the knowledge came too late. A bolt slammed into her armor with jarring force, lodging deep as its glass vial of plague-ridden ichor remained intact on impact.

Nearby, Izek's honed reflexes allowed him to narrowly avoid the deadly volley, rolling and diving as bolts ricocheted off the alley stones. Orris stood transfixed, the surprise assault overcoming even his battle-trained reactions. A bolt burst wetly against his ornate armored shoulder, splattering the intricate metalwork with sizzling, contaminated ichor.

Kachilk'cha's natural chitinous plating protected her more effectively, the bolts aimed at her bouncing and skittering off her carapace. But they discharged their vile contents nonetheless, the ground at her feet quickly becoming dotted with smoking pools of the dark ichor.

The ambush unfolded with a horrifying efficiency. In mere seconds, Garrick lay dead, the rest partially exposed to the virulent plague liquid from the trap bolts. And their hidden assailants awaited above, undoubtedly ready to loose another round before the group could regroup. With precious little time or cover, the imperiled companions desperately sought some means of defense against the lethal volleys.

An overturned wagon lay nearby, scant protection but better than remaining exposed. The doorways dotting the buildings might offer refuge, assuming they weren't locked and entrances didn't contain more enemies.

Retreating back down the alley was an option. Surging ahead around the next bend could bring them out of firing range, but also carried great risk. Garrick's fresh corpse also was a potential hazard as it was splayed across awkwardly.

Seeking higher ground was another possibility - Kachilk'cha's natural wall-climbing giving her an advantage for scaling the tenement faces. Perhaps one of the companions could summon a magical shield?

No choice was clearly ideal given the relentless volleys and the ichor now eating into armor and flesh. The group would need to react quickly, each finding whatever cover, vantage or defense they could in order to withstand the onslaught, or perhaps flee. Or fight.

Name: Orris Hariri
Race: Air Genasai
HP: 44/44
AC: 16 (18 shield)
Pass Perc: 10
Pass Inv: 10
Pass Ins: 13
Initiative: +2
Auran
Common
Speed: 35
Size:
Medium
Lay on hands: 25/25
Divine Senses 3/5
Rapier To Hit: +5
Damage: 1d8+2
Spell Save DC: 15
STR: 10 +0
DEX: 14 +2
CON: 14 +2
INT: 10 +0
WIS: 10 +0 (+3)
CHA:18 +4 (+7)
Deception: +10*
Intimidate
+7
Insight +3
History: +3
Persuasion:
*expertise
Slots
2nd: [] [X]

Prepared spells
1st Heroism; Shield of Faith; compelled duel Charm Person*; Exped retreat*

"Betrayal!"

Orris practically spat the word but, strangely, there was excitement in his tone,

"To the Wagon!"

He ran towards the wagon and as he crouched behind.

Quietly, to anyone who is behind the wagon, he says, "I can cast invisibility and see if that door is open. We can go in that building to split their forces or, even, find a different way away. Unfortunately, " He says, almost unwilling to admit a weakness, "I may not be able to open the door if it is locked."

Moving to the wagon to get full cover. If Possible.

Will take the DODGE ACTION

Orris has DARKVISION
You can see in dim light within 60 feet of yourself as if it were bright light and in darkness as if it were dim light. You discern colors in that darkness only as shades of gray.
  • Darkness – Darkness creates a heavily obscured area. Night, even most moonlit nights, are considered to cast full darkness as do any areas with a lack of bright light sources.
  • Dim Light – Dim light creates a lightly obscured area. This is often used to describe the hazy area between bright light (as caused by a torch or other light source) and darkness. Twilight, dawn, and even the light of a full moon are all considered dim light.
  • Bright Light – Most creatures can see normally in bright light. This is a well-lit room, a sunny day, the area closest to a light source, etc.
  • Heavily Obscured – Darkness, as well as things such as thick fog or dense foliage, cause an area to be heavily obscured. In these areas, creatures suffer from the blinded condition
  • Blinded – A blinded creature can’t see and automatically fails any ability check that requires sight. Attack rolls against the creature have advantage, and the creature’s Attack rolls have disadvantage.
  • Lightly Obscured – Areas that are lightly obscured cause a creature to have disadvantage on perception checks that require sight.
  • Magical Darkness – Magical darkness is any darkness created by a spell or other magical effect.

Last edited:

Nordom

Explorer
Some present had senses that pierced the gloom. Those with dark vision discerned the lurking forms crowding the open windows - human, tiefling, and orc assassins shrouded in dark garb. Kachilk'cha's sharp insectoid eyes picked out nearly twenty in all, a deadly gauntlet lining both sides of the narrow alley.

Izek's particularly keen eyes caught movement atop a tenement that gave him pause. Squinting up through the magical shadows swirling there, he glimpsed a lone figure peering down over the rooftop's edge. Its eyes glowed eerily from beneath its hood as it observed the embattled group below with ominous intent. There was no time to remark on this hidden overseer though, as he could see multiple assailants rapidly reloading.

Li Shenron

Legend
Cursing in her mind with the most colorful words she knows in orcish language, Grim rushes towards and behind the wagon, trying her best to avoid stepping into any blackish inking puddle on the way.

Pushing her back against the wagon to minimize her exposure to the volley of bolts, she squints a bit and looks diagonally at Orris, not knowing yet if she can fully trust her newlyfound companions. "Mmm, not a bad idea... there is too many of them and too well hidden to shoot them back at range, but if we can get inside they can't target us anymore, and we can take them one group at a time." As she speaks, Grim takes a horrified look at the bolt that got stuck into her armor, with the vial still intact... she carefully tries to assess whether there is a way to remove it from her armor without danger of actually breaking it and releasing the ichor over herself. She won't risk that much, and would rather drop that piece of armor and lose some protection than getting touched by the filthy substance. Continuing to address Orris in the meantime: "As it happens, I'm fairly experienced with locks, and I know some tricks as well, I can even try to open those doors from here..."

After a flick of her fingers and a soft whisper in draconic language, a faint translucent copy of Grim's hand seems to split off her real right hand and float gently in front of her...

Grim uses her move to get behind the wagon, and her action to cast the Mage Hand cantrip.

Note: with the Arcane Trickster's Ranged Legerdemain ability, she can generally use a bonus action instead of normal action to control the Mage Hand, to move it up to 30 feet each time and actually try to open an unlocked door with it. If the door is locked, the Mage Hand can also try lockpicking, but I think this technically requires an action separate from the first.

Necropolitan

Adventurer
"Idiot!" Izek spat at Garrick's crossbow bolt-studded corpse. At least the man had been useful in depleting their enemy's ammunition.

Trying to keep a literal low profile, the Warlock ran at full speed towards the cover offered by the overturned wagon.

Whatever foul substance those bolts contained, Izek wasn't about to let any of it touch him.

Once behind cover he reached over the edge and shaped a spell while aiming at an enemy he could hit.

A gesture and a snarled word sent a black bolt of arcane magic racing towards his target.

OOC:
1D20+7 = [15]+7 = 22
1D20+7 = [13]+7 = 20

If they hit they deal 1D10+4 = [8]+4 = 12 and 1D10+4 = [6]+4 = 10 Force damage.

Last edited:

Name: Orris Hariri
Race: Air Genasai
HP: 44/44
AC: 16 (18 shield)
Pass Perc: 10
Pass Inv: 10
Pass Ins: 13
Initiative: +2
Auran
Common
Speed: 35
Size:
Medium
Lay on hands: 25/25
Divine Senses 3/5
Rapier To Hit: +5
Damage: 1d8+2
Spell Save DC: 15
STR: 10 +0
DEX: 14 +2
CON: 14 +2
INT: 10 +0
WIS: 10 +0 (+3)
CHA:18 +4 (+7)
Deception: +10*
Intimidate
+7
Insight +3
History: +3
Persuasion:
*expertise
Slots
2nd: [] [X]

Prepared spells
1st Heroism; Shield of Faith; compelled duel Charm Person*; Exped retreat*

Orris watches the attack and a smile cracks the corner of his mouth. Turning to Grim once again he says,

"I'll move to the door.* Count to 5 and if it doesn't open, you need to unlock it. Once it's unlocked, wait three heartbeats while I check that the room is safe. If it stays open, follow. If it closes, we're retreating backwards instead."

With a gesture and foul words in Auran, he vanished.

Casting Invisibility and moving to the closest door to see if it's locked.

*This plan works if the door is within 30 feet of door. If it isn't, Orris casts it on Grim. Which will be the same post but I'll tweak it slightly.

@Necropolitan Don't you get 2 eldrict bolts at 5th?

Nordom

Explorer
Grim examined the embedded bolt with relief - unlike the others, this vial remained intact, sparing her from the ichor within. It seemed she could pry it free without triggering its foul contents. Meanwhile, Izek's retaliatory eldritch blast obliterated one assassin in a gory spray. But his second shot went wide, blowing a chunk from the tenement wall. Immediately, a barrage of arrows flew at Izek's position, forcing him to hunker down as he drew dangerous attention.

Orris reached the nearest door, only to find it securely locked. He waited the planned five count as the Mage Hand approached.

Time was running short - the wagon and doorways provided temporary reprieve, but the companions were still dangerously exposed in the alley killzone.

As chaos erupted, Kachilk'cha's insectoid instincts drove her to scurry away from the group, seeking an alternate escape route. This proved fortuitous, as a barrage of bolts immediately peppered her location, attention drawn by her isolation. Yet somehow the quarrels seemed to glance off the thri-Kreen's carapace, with some even rebounding off the embedded jewels adorning it. Kachilk'cha clicked in surprise but wasted no time, scrabbling further up the alley as bolts ricocheted around her. Abruptly, from around a bend ahead came sounds of another skirmish - yells and clanging metal mixed with thunking bolts. Their ambushers were dividing attention between this new threat and the companions.

Izek hugged the wagon, blasting away to draw fire and buy time. Grim and Orris worked together on quietly forcing an entry point. And Kachilk'cha's erratic advance up the alley continued pulling bolts and ire. The group's coordination kept focus split, even as the hidden foes sought to isolate and overwhelm each member in turn. But the sounds of another force engaging the assassins' rear echelon offered a glimmer of hope. If the group could endure a little longer, the tide may yet turn.

Remove ads