D&D 5E (IC) Rise of the Dracolich

FitzTheRuke

Legend
In spite of the cold and the late hour, the newcomers were met by a gaggle of urchins before they even left the dock. Cries of "Guide for a coppa!" and "Give us a coin an' I show ya aroun'! went out before one sandy-haired boy with a scar on his face boldly stepped in front of Kalorn (of all people) and said, "That lot'll get ye robbed. Gimme a silver an' I'll lead ye t'a good inn wiv a soff bed witoot ye gettin' a shiv in yer back. Make it woon now an' woon den an' I'll coom back inda marnin' t'lead ye t'yer next plice. Warevah ye wanna go."

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Kalorn smirked, and tossed the kid a copper.

"You're hired. Get us to our destination and you'll get a silver. Same deal tomorrow, and maybe the day after that too. Silver a spot. Sounds fair?"

Kalorn's smile faded.
"Lead us in an ambush and you die first. That too, is fair."

He glanced at the others. "Inn first, or our contact?"

FitzTheRuke

Legend
The child frowned at the copper (though it was good money for the job) and considered the man before him. He shrugged and said, "Aye, Cap'n. Ye got yerself a guide. I'll not be leadin' you wrong, I won't. I like me skin with the guts inside. M'name is Luko. C'mon this way."

He scampered down the docks while the other urchins moaned and cursed at him, asking the newcomers to change their minds or attempting to lure one or two of them away from the main group.

Prickly Pear

Adventurer
Sesto followed Kalorn and Luko down the docks. He chided the other urchins when they were pulling his sleeves to get his attention.
Despite the urchins, it was good to be back on solid ground again.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Kalorn glared at the other urchins, putting his hand on the pommel. Mentally, he urged Sooty to circle above and spot would be ambushes and robbers. Luko might lead the party to an ambush - or lumber into one, and Kalorn didn't relish the idea of splitting the kid's skull over an honest mistake.

He didn't hunch his shoulders to ward off the cold. His head was held high and his eyes darted left and right, looking for potential threats. It had been a while since he's been called captain. In a raspy voice he said to the others.

"Ware the flanks and rear. I have the front. This is not a lawful city - our swords is what will keep brigands at bay, nothing else" . He stopped - he didn't know them well enough to suggest specific orders... and besides, he *had* been a captain. He wasn't one now.

In a lower voice, he said to Luko.

"The other kids will try to rob you. Better watch your back for the next few days. How far is this inn?"
[sblock=minisheet]Kalorn of Mulmaster, the cursed sell-sword (Fighter(eldrich knight) 3/Warlock(hexblade) 6; alt-human, soldier)
HP: 63/63, Hit dice: 8/8, Temp HP: 7
AC: 16 Temp AC:
Passive Perception 15
Saves: Str: +5, Dex: -1, Con: +5, Int: +0 , Wis: +2, Cha: +3
Warlock slots remaining = 2/2. EK slots remaining = 2/2
Action surge = 1/1. Second wind = 1/1. Potions of healing remaining: 6[/sblock]

Last edited:

FitzTheRuke

Legend
"You bein' for'ners an' all, you docked at th'Open Shore, as was right t'do. The closest Inn is th'One-Eyed-Jax. If ye have no beef with th'Dark Elves, then ye can stay there safe'n'sound." answered Luko as the well-armed group made their way up the steep slope from the docks. They passed a high-walled compound with dwarven crossbowmen guarding the gate.

"That's the Mirabar Shield. 'Tis a trade-post, sure. For some reason, th'Darfies don' trust us Luskars an' keep watch day-and-night." Luko laughed, as if they were right to do so. "We could 'ead for the Harbor-Cross Bridge, if ye'd like annuther Inn better."

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Kalorn raised a fist in a dwarven salute as they walked by the dwarven enclave. He knew much about them, having campaigned for 3 years with a dwarven ranger, Tarkol One-Eye, until a troll got him, that was.

"dark elves?" replied Kalorn, somewhat startled. "How would they react to surface elves? And since when are the Drow *innkeepers*? What's next, an Ogre chandler?". He narrowed his eyes at Luko. Was the boy playing him for a fool? No, that kind of jokes would get someone killed here.

Kalorn had never dealt with them - plenty of rumors about dark elves settling in Cormanthor, but he never actually had dealt with any. Still, this sounded like trouble. He turned to the others.

"Lorenn, Alhana?"

Remove ads