[IC] The Protectors of Greensfen (Part II)

nerdytenor

First Post
Part I (The Missing Warlock) Synopsis

Our band of adventurers were summoned to the nearby town of Greensfen. The town had undergone a horrible transformation as local crops succumbed to a mysterious Blight over the course of two years. The adventurers were to seek out a warlock named Mardrick who had been studying the Blight and working on a cure.

The adventurers met Dardus, the town's de facto mayor and blacksmith, and Elloen, Mardrick's wife, who was convinced that his Mardrick was already dead. In an attempt to improve their chances of finding Mardrick, the party convinced Elloen to hand over her stilled life ring, which was supposed to glow when the other wearer (Mardrick) was still alive.

Deciding to favor speed over safety, the party headed north through the Dead Forest, and encountered a deadly clutch of Kruthik, strange spider-crab creatures. Victorious, they continued their treck, reaching Mardrick's last known location.

The party discovered a series of abandoned farms. The first farm contained a large slab of stone, clearly supernatural in nature. The second farm contained a similar stone, with Mardrick the warlock strapped to it, the stone seemingly sucking the life from him. Another battle was joined as the party discovered Mardrick to be guarded by undead, some of whom they reasoned were likely victims of some kind of human version of the Blight themselves. Mardrick's time on the stone left markings on his body very much like those found on plants with the Blight.

With Mardrick, the party escaped to a small shack at the edge of the Dead Forest. A bit of discussion was all it took to establish that Elloen, Mardrick's wife, was in cahoots with (or possibly controlled by) whatever dark forces were at work (it turns out the life ring was not a life ring at all). Mardrick related that he had found a plant which provided protection against the blight, and the party went to gather some before they returned to the Greensfen. As they were gathering the plant, they were set upon by wolves, or possibly dogs, that had been Blighted. The battle won and the plants gathered, the party and Mardrick discovered that the plant had curative properties on Mardrick when rubbed in an open wound.

The group headed back to Greensfen, determined to get the cure back to Dardus, with the possibility of rescuing Elloen (if, indeed, she wanted to be rescued). This time they went by way of the road, and were surrounded by a group of bandits, some of whom were clearly desperate former residents of Greensfen. The leader of the bandits clearly knew about Mardrick, and offered to let the rest go if he was handed over. Refusing, the party was victorious, but one of the enemy managed to escape. A letter found on the body of the enemy leader implied that Elloen was to be taken somewhere soon. With an added sense of urgency, the party made way to Greensfen.

Upon arriving at Mardrick's house, the party encountered guards and a powerful enemy mage, whom they managed to defeat. Elloen, as it happened, used a magical stone to teleport out of the area, witnessed by a member of the party. The enemy mage gave out a location for Elloen, and more details about the organizer of the Blight, Baradur. Unforunately, the location given (Swamps of Sending near the Prism River) was not one any in the party (or any in Greensfen) had ever heard of.

As it happened, the enemy leader had kept Dardus in chains and stolen most of his equipment and gold. Freed, but unable to pay the adventurers, Mardrick offered up the remains of his stash of enchanted weapons as payment and down payment for the rescue of Elloen.

Now the party is on a quest to stop Baradur once and for all.

[sblock=OOC]
This is part II in a series (*Part I being The Missing Warlock).
Protectors of Greensfen OOC thread is here.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

covaithe

Explorer
After a meal emphasizing quantity over quality, Karis gets up and prowls restlessly around the mess hall table. "So. Swamps of Sending, Prism River. Anybody know where those are? No? Well, we can either see if our friend Sleepy over there knows any more when he wakes up, or find somebody who can figure out where that stone took Elloen. Hey, Mardrick! Where's that teacher of yours?"

nerdytenor

First Post
After a meal emphasizing quantity over quality, Karis gets up and prowls restlessly around the mess hall table. "So. Swamps of Sending, Prism River. Anybody know where those are? No? Well, we can either see if our friend Sleepy over there knows any more when he wakes up, or find somebody who can figure out where that stone took Elloen."

Dardus, still eating, pauses between mouthfulls. "I already took the liberty of questioning our prisoner this morning in his cell. He gave about seven different locations for this 'Baradur' - none of them places I've ever heard of. I think he made them all up," he adds, grunting. "You're welcome to try questioning him if you've got the stomach for it."

"Hey, Mardrick! Where's that teacher of yours?"
"I can't say exactly when she'll get here," Mardrick says, "but in all likelihood it will be tonight or tomorrow."

PennStud77

First Post
"You're welcome to try questioning him if you've got the stomach for it."

It is not the stomach that is the problem. If he was to be threatened further and baring a toothy sneer and a sinister eye, Todarr adds which can be done... do you think that would loosen his tongue, or does he seem to your eye to be exceptionally resistant or scared of this Baradur? I also could try to fool him further into thinking I might want to join up with this Baradur, as he mentioned earlier. But which plan do you feel he would be more likely to succumb to?

nerdytenor

First Post
It is not the stomach that is the problem. If he was to be threatened further and baring a toothy sneer and a sinister eye, Todarr adds which can be done... do you think that would loosen his tongue, or does he seem to your eye to be exceptionally resistant or scared of this Baradur? I also could try to fool him further into thinking I might want to join up with this Baradur, as he mentioned earlier. But which plan do you feel he would be more likely to succumb to?

Dardus ponders briefly, frowning. "I'm not sure. I've done a fair bit of interrogating, but always with bandits and thieves. They care only about their money and their lives. This dastdardly magician seems to care about neither, so I'm finding it hard to be, what's the word? Persuasive. Perhaps you will have more luck. Or your trickiery could work. It's hard to say..."

"You're welcome to try whatever you wish. We need whatever information on the enemy we can find."

Mardrick lifts his face from his bowl to comment. "Dardus, this will all be moot after Glaelyn arrives. She'll be able to figure out the teleportation stone's destination, I'm sure of it.."

Dardus nodds. "I'm glad to hear that, old friend. But we can't know for sure that Elloen's destination and this Baradur's location are one and the same, now can we?"

Arbanax

First Post
Rellek pushed his empty plate away from him. It wasn't the best of meals, but given the state of the village it wasn't bad either. Trail rations provided sustenance, but hardly satisfaction as did a hot meal.

He listened to the discussion, doubting as to whether, even Todarr could wrestle any further information from the mage. The single minded devotion that the mage, his co-horts and even Mardrick's wife had shown, he felt, revealed something motivating them at a deeper level than money.

Getting up from his place, Rellek simple nodded his appreciation to Dardus and the cook. As he passed Todarr, he leant over and said, "Friend Todarr, I will take watch duty", then went out to find a good place to observe the village and wait whilst cleaning his weapons, checking his bow and refletching his arrows.

The Digger

First Post
"The only things that come to mind are painful methods or some form of bluff, perhaps a death threat."

Joshua seems to be fighting with himself about something and at last comes out with it.

"It may be that severe physical pain may work and I would be willing to try that if you so wish. I am not normally an advocate of torture but if nothing else works..."

His voice trailed off as he left the others to fill in the blanks.

"Another thought was a kind of bluff. If we put a noose around his neck and a bag over his head and threatened to hang him. Then hoisted him up onto something apparently high and then after a moment let him drop. The thing would be, that he would actually be quite low, like on a stool. And so he would suffer no harm but the shock might loosen his tongue."

"Personally, if one or other of those type of things do not work, I would suggest we just kill him.

BlueLotus

Explorer
"He is deaf to reason and too zealous for my trickery. Do as you will." Moreen says, then quietly eats her meal. She offers no further input on how to proceed. With her bowl only half finished, she excuses herself from the table and disappears for a little while.

[sblock=While Moreen is away]The paladin seeks solitude at the edge of town. She stares into the wilderness at nothing in particular. I did what I could, what I had to do.... For the town and its people. She thumbs the rosary around her neck. But how far can it go? Do I just say nothing? Do nothing while a man could be tortured, vile as he is? Erathis! I was the one who threatened him with it...Is this the heavy price of ensuring the town's safety? [/sblock]
[sblock=ooc]I'm not trying to steer Moreen towards party conflict, just trying to explore how she is evolving. She won't get in the way of whatever the party decides to do with him.[/sblock]

nerdytenor

First Post
[sblock=What next?]
Got some decent ideas - let me know when you've decided (feel free to discuss as much as you like, or suggest new ideas - when I have three votes in favor of a course of action we can proceed).

Suggestions so far

1. Questioning/interrogation
  2. Mock execution/softening up
  3. Todarr pretends to join the mage
[/sblock]

covaithe

Explorer
[sblock=ooc ramblings]A fourth option is just hanging around for the day waiting for Glaelyn. A fifth option, that I don't think anyone has suggested yet, is to try to find some other geographical authority -- a library, a respected sage, etc. -- and ask where the places are. That's not likely to be a great option, since we'd probably have to travel away from the area that we're supposed to be protecting for a while in order to get answers.

Waiting doesn't rule out other options; there's no reason we can't try something now. I can't say I'm terribly excited about roleplaying a torture session. Interrogating again... seems a bit metagame-ish, since it would allow us to throw d20s at the problem; eventually someone will roll high. So I vote for Todarr pretending to join Baradur, just 'cause it seems the most interesting to me. We can always interrogate later.
[/sblock]

Remove ads