• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[IC Thread] Delving the Mists

Pyrex

First Post
Anton, Urban Ranger

Anton takes a look and speaks;
"Who are you and what are you doing down here?" He then looks meaningfully from the plants back to the man in back and continues; "Possesion of dangerous plants is not allowed within city limits without a permit. Can I see your permit?"

Cerebus13

First Post
-- Surprise Round --

Quilan tosses a dart at the plant in the middle of the room and it sticks loosely in it's side. Natalie fires a solid shot hitting the same plant dead on with her light crossbow.

[OOC:

Quilan (Dart) hits (18+10) AC 28 for 4 HP of damage
Auto-attack: Plant 2 has received 4 hp of P, damage.
-----------------------------------
Natalie (Crossbow, light) hits (19+5) AC 24 for 2 HP of damage
----> Critical threat to AC 11 , total damage 9 HP
Auto-attack: Plant 2 has received 2 hp of P, damage.

I assumed that Alyson attacked since other people were attacking before her, and I changed Fangor's attack to doing nothing for the round since the man didn't do anything hostile. Orum and Anton's actions are still up in the air if you guys want to do anything...otherwise we will move into the next round.]

Last edited:

Gramcrackered

First Post
"What is wrong with you?!" Orum cries out, glaring angrily at Quilan, Natalie and Alyson as one shot leads to another and another. With a grunt he whips his glaive about and thrusts it in front of the three hot-heads. "We do NOT fire upon random people we stumble upon! We do NOT act without some shred of proof! We are guardsmen! Not vigilantes!"

Regardless of whether or not the man IS a criminal, there are simply certain ways things are supposed to be handled.

OOC: Regardless of what happens, I'd say this is gonna be all Orum will do for this round.

Pyrex

First Post
OOC: Well, Gram, methinks our friends have seen just a few too many shoot-first, who-needs-questions dungeon crawls. ;)

OOC2: No action during the suprise round, just trying to figure out what's going on.

Fangor the Fierce

First Post
OOC - I posted her modifications to this round in the OOC thread, sorry. Alyson would ready her shot for the man, only if he acted hostile, began to chant a spell, or instructed the plants to attack us. She would not have fired...

Seeing that the others let their darts and arrows fly, Alyson holds tight, her clamness gathering. She waits for the man to react, before doing anything else.

Ready her attack for what she would perceive as hostile actions from the man. That would include trying to cast a spell, ordering the plants to attack, grabbing a weapon, or throwing anything at the party.

Telsar

First Post
Natalie Bayne -- Wizard/Rogue

[OOC Sorry for the delay. Real life sucks]

A small smile masking how she's truly feeling at the moment, Natalie quietly says "Orum, my friend, I'm the first to look for diplomatic solutions, our job requires it. I would not have been the first to attack, but also would not leave any one of you to attack alone. We are a team. The moment Quilan threw his dart, my assistance was assured. And besides... monstrous plants aren't even close to random people. We can discuss what procedures we should be using elsewhere."

She will then clear her throat and say loudly "But since it should be clear that we are willing to attack anyone, or anything, even looking like a threat to us, perhaps the gentleman hiding in the back would care to explain himself."

[OOC No one really mentioned anything they're doing during round one, but if any combat continues, Natalie casts Mage Armor on herself]

Last edited:

Salzorin

First Post
Quilan --- Rogue
Quilan pauses and settles himself back a bit, "Aye, I'm not one to harm an innocent civilian, but last time I checked giant, flailing plants don't really fall in the 'innocent civilian' category. Either way, for now I'll wait." Quilan draws another dart, but merely begins to play with it in his hands, tossing it back and forth and sliding it around his fingers in an intricate manner. [OOC: feinting this round and continuing to do so until someone provokes the need for attack. If any threat is made to the party, he will retaliate, otherwise he will continue to play with his dart in a deceptive manner should we proceed into conversation and interrogation.]

Cerebus13

First Post
The man in the back of the room scrambles to pick up a large sack off the ground and then crawls through a hole in the back wall behind him.
The plant in the middle begins making a loud thrumming noise and as it moves towards the party Quilan tries to trick it using a agile hand trick but fails. The plant moves right in front of Orum and spits a dark cloud of liquid at him and Alyson. Alyson is able to avoid it but Orum cannot...but he grits his teeth and resists the burning liquid.
Natalie casts Mage Armor on herself when she sees that the plants are attacking.
One of the other plants begins to thrum as well but doesn't move.

[OOC:

================= Round 1 ==============
Man: Move action pick up a large sack off the ground.
Move action from 9,D through a hole on the wall at 9,A.
Orum: Does nothing.
Quilan: Readies a feint for any hostile targets.
Quilan uses skill Bluff. Rolls 10+6 = 16 - 4 (non humanoid) = 12
Quilan starts readying.
Plant 1: Does nothing.
Plant 2: Makes a deep thrumming noise and begins to move forward...
Quilan stops readying. New init: 14 (just before Plant 2)
Plant 2 uses skill Sense Motive. Rolls 12+2 = 14 (ignores feint)
Moves from 9,H to 9,K.
Sprays forth a cone of black liquid in a 10' line to the East of it.
DC 15 Reflex save to avoid.
Orum makes a Reflex Save: 13 (9+4)
Alyson makes a Reflex Save: 20 (14+6)
DC 15 Fortitude save to resist first round effect.
Orum makes a Fortitude Save: 24 (16+8)
Anton: Does nothing.
Natalie: . Last Attacked: Plant 2
Natalie casts Mage Armor as Wiz 3 (DC 14). (mem)
Alyson: Does nothing
Plant 3: Begins making a thrumming noise.]

Telsar

First Post
Seeing the man in the back fleeing, Natalie says "Um, I think our answers are running away from us. It occurs to me that large, tall plants may not be able to crawl through holes as well as we bipeds. Is there any reason not to just run past them? Even if we don't all go, one of us should, to keep an eye on him."

If everyone else wants to run past the plants, or if no one wants to, then Natalie will, provoking attacks of oppurtunity from as few of them as possible [my AC is 16], make for the hole the man went in, and crawl in after him.

If it's decided one should go, other than Natalie, she'll try to take a 5' step back (if no PC is blocking her) and reload and fire her crossbow again, preference over plants not adjacent to a PC, and preference over those already hurt.

Pyrex

First Post
Anton nods in agreement with Natalie.

"Quilan, Alyson, follow Natalie and head him off. Orum and I will cover you as you persue and then follow once you're clear of the plants."

Anton draws one of his maces and readies a partial charge to head off the first plant that tries to prevent Quilan, Alison or Natalie from following the man.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads