• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E [IC] Uller's Out of the Abyss

Uller

Adventurer
The monster staggers backwards under the onslaught. Surana is nearly hovering as she slashes and stabs at it. But it still has some strength and it lashes out, probably for the last time.

Hook Horror
Attack [roll0]
damage: [roll1]

Surana easily deflects the hooked arm and it finds only empty space.

OOC:
[MENTION=6776182]JustinCase[/MENTION], Erevan is up. Hook Horror to the front is on it's last leg. Another hit or two should finish it. The two to the back have closed in on Derendil. Big holiday weekend coming up here in the US. I will probably not be able to respond this evening or tomorrow at all.

Last edited:

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Sensing that the monster is weakening, Erevan prepares what he hopes will be the last arrow to be shot at the hook horror.

OOC: Attack: [roll0]
+ bless [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]
+ sneak attack [roll3]

Uller

Adventurer
Another arrow from Erevan slams into the Hook Horror's chest. It crumples like it's dying but starts to stand back up! It's going to take one last hit to finish it!

OOC:
Do you want Sarith to attempt to finish it? Or leave that to someone else and instead help Derendil by using Faerie Fire on the two to the rear? Someone can shout out a little direction for the NPCs.

The Hook Horror to the front is either really really low on HP or has some supernatural force driving it on (or both).

DMAesh

Explorer
"Sarith, leave it to the others to finish! Let's help Derendil and make sure that all of us can make it out alive!"

OOC: We have Orsik, Eldeth, and Bertram going up next right? Have them finish that one off. Or conceivably, it will be up to Surana, if they all miss. ;)

SunGold

First Post
OOC: What does the terrain look like up ahead? I think we all have faster speeds than the HHs, but that doesn't matter if the terrain is rough for miles, since they aren't slowed by it. I wouldn't bother with Faerie Fire if the terrain looks better up ahead and we can actually flee.

If it all looks rough, then yeah, Faerie Fire. And IMO everyone ought to move forward enough to get the HHs on the 5' ledge where I am now, since they're easier to fight there. Derendil & Surana can tank there.

If it looks like we can run, I'd skip Faerie Fire and have Bert throw up a Fog Cloud. These things are dumb as hell; it might help.

Regardless, I don't think Orsik should attack. He's within range of the lower HH, so ideally Eldeth, Bert, or Sarith can finish it off and Orsik can Disengage & move.

Uller

Adventurer
The wider portion of the trail continues ahead of you as far as you can see (about 40') but in your experience, the path tends to vary in width and will likely narrow again.

When you are on the narrower portions of the path, you can "dash" 25' as a group (slowest members have a speed of 25...it is halved while squeezing/climbing). Derendil can climb with a speed of 30' so he could attack, move back 25' to stay with the group (which would draw an OA). The Hook Horrors have a climb speed of only 20 so they would have to dash just to keep up (and will keep getting OAs). You have no idea if they will pursue you indefinitely or what. They are not behaving quite like normal predators right now. If you can knock them from the ledge, maybe you can get some space between you and them?

Uller

Adventurer
Sarith turns his attention to the two in the rear and causes a burst of the strange purple and green 'flame' to burst around them.

HH2 Dex Save (DC 11) [roll0]
HH3 Dex Save (DC 11) [roll1]

He grimaces as they both shake off the effect.

Uller

Adventurer
Orsik fires throws another bolt of his holy fire at the one to the front

HH1 Dex Save (DC 13) [roll0]
damage [roll1]

The flame strikes it in an open patch left by Surana's furious assault. White fire roils through the hulk of its abdomen as it topples from the path and gathers speed until it cartwheels into a large rock 150' below and shatters into a dozen glowing pieces.

SunGold

First Post
Surana howls in delight as the creature falls, then turns back to face the party.

"Move up if you can! There's better ground here!"

Uller

Adventurer
OOC:
Derendil is large enough that he's going to provide cover to the hook horror on the trail. Should Bertram and Eldeth fire at it anyway or shoot for the lower one?

Remove ads