D&D 5E (IC) Vault of the Dracolich (Infiltrators)

FitzTheRuke

Legend
The old tree squinted, half-blind at Mord's illusion and sighed, "Hrruum. Those look like they were made by the worshippers of Bhaal. The little murderers used to work in a temple that was here on the mountain before it grew as big as it is now. I do not know where one is, but I suspect it would be in the dragon's treasure horde."

Prickly Pear

Adventurer
SnorLoska have sympathy with the tree. Once we are finished with our task, we will come back and see if we can help you out of here. Now, however, it is time for us to continue. SnorLoska sets off down the tunnel towards the next cavern.

tglassy

Adventurer
Terrus walks up to the tree, having heard much.

"My heritage is in the Plane of Earth...rock grow there, or so I have been told. I would know more, if there is more to know."

Sent from my iPad using EN World

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Speaking to the Infiltrators, even for such a brief time, helped to clear the old ent's tortured, lonely mind. He spoke with increased clarity: "Harumm. Many countless seasons ago in this land lived powerful elf-wizards. Friends to my brothers, they were, but not without fault. A mistake was made, harooo, and a rock came from the sky and destroyed everything far and wide. That rock landed here, and made a hole. There was no mountain here then.

Harumm... My brothers and I came to this place to restore the forest. We brought children of the trees and put them where they would grow. This took many many seasons and during that time the ground rose in this place. A hill. A mountain. The ground pushed up all around. It was good ground, though, with the river to feed it. The trees grew and the animals came. We chose to stay on the mountain and watch over the new forest.

Hrruugh. Much later, Bhaalites built their temple to worship their murder-god. One of them it was who found it's way down deep to the original sky-rock. Spoke to it. A new peak of black rock grew on top of the mountain. My brothers and I stayed to watch it and we could slow its growth for a time.

Then Dretchroyaster came. Harroo! The scourge of the forest. For many seasons this evil dragon fought with the little folk of the forest. The new elves. The humans. The dragon particularly hated the centaurs. Good folk, friends to my brothers. He came and he took the temple for himself. He took the sky-rock and it's power. Blackpeak grows again.

Now he has little folk that follow him. Worship him. Their magic has made him into death. Bones he is. A Dracolich. Harroo! More terrible than even a vain tyrant of a forest-dragon."

EarlyBird

Explorer
The story both terrified Zander and made him sad at the same time. What had started as a simple spy mission, with the possibility of a grab and run into the treasure vault suddenly felt... trivial. Here was a creature with true troubles. One who had lost brothers, friends, and... and hope. He had lost hope more than anything.

Zander wanted to help, wanted to do the right thing, but all this was way to much for him to comprehend.

"What do we do?"

EarlyBird

Explorer
Zander looks to the Ent before leaving with the others. "I'm sorry, truly I am. I will tell Imani about this, maybe he will be able to help."

Prickly Pear

Adventurer
SnorLoska stops in his tracks and listens to the tree's story. It's a long and sad story. After some reflection, SnorLoska turns to the tree and says: Once this is over we will return and see what we can do for you. Until then... Farewell!
SnorLoska continues down the tunnel.

Remove ads