D&D 5E (IC) Vault of the Dracolich (Infiltrators)

FitzTheRuke

Legend
During the long discussion, the tentacled creatures hanging from the ceiling slowly crept toward the source of the sound. Just before the Infiltrators moved on, one of the tentacles reached down in an attempt to grab someone, but the old tree was faster than anyone expected it could possibly be, and it reached a long branch-arm up, wrapped it's spindly hand around the tentacles and with a mighty heave, pulled the creature free of the ceiling.

It swung the creature by it's own tentacles and slammed it hard into the ground, saying, "Yes, go. Go and do what you can to thwart the Dragon's schemes. Hurraa! I will be here, like I have been here for many seasons!
Go, before these hungry beasts seize you. Harroo! Find your murder-idol. Beware the Dragon's traps! He is cleverer than you might think. Luck be with you."

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Heading down the wet tunnel, Zander recalled how the Beast-Boy mercenaries who guarded these tunnels would tell stories about the "angry tree" when they were back at the barracks. How they would brag that they "burnt it with torches" and how they had to be very careful going through the grotto to avoid being "walloped" by it. He remembers one coming back with a fractured skull and a group of his friends promising to make the tree "pay" for what it had done.

It was clear to Zander now that not one of them had ever considered trying to talk to it.

EarlyBird

Explorer
"How close are we to the vault?" Zander asks after catching his breath. "I really think I want this nightmare to be over. Tentacled monsters and all."

Prickly Pear

Adventurer
Even more wary as he continued, SnorLoska kept an eye on the roof of the cavern as well as the tunnel ahead of him. You heard the tree, he said to nobody in particular, the dragon have traps. Be careful!

FitzTheRuke

Legend
It was not long before Lorenn was able to communicate with Eko:

She had flown down the wet tunnel, past a large pool, and through an enormous chamber. Suits of armour and the bones of great beasts adorned the walls of the room - Dretchroyaster's Trophy Room. Among the trophies were a centaur skeleton impaled on a spear, an enormous rune-etched red dragon skull on a podium and a human skeleton in a green cloak pinned to the wall with crossbow quarrels, the crossbow hanged from it's own stirrup wrapped around the skeleton's neck.

A long straight hallway leading away to her left appeared to have rows of terracotta warriors on pedestals. She had passed by that hallway, continuing forward. She spotted a necrotic haze, similar to the previous one, on the side of the trophy room to her right. She passed that as well, giving it plenty of space.

Finally, she had come to the Bhaalite Obelisk, down a second hallway on the left. This hall opened into a large, nearly round room. The obelisk was in one "corner" and opposite it was a large stone cauldron-like pot, carved with intricate runes. Six cultists in robes were gathered around the giant pot, gazing into it's waters and discussing what they could see.

Eko perched safely on the top of the obelisk, and watched, communicating her findings to Lorenn as he worked his way down the wet tunnel to the large pool.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
"They came up out of the prison grate!"

"I told you they were hiding in those underground lakes!"

"Are the mercenaries holding them off?"

"It doesn't look like it, they're getting themselves killed."

"Did the chillborn zombies get at them?"

"No, they got stuck in the store-room - no wait, they're getting out! Woo-hoo! Look at that one go!"

"I wouldn't want to be that guy."

EarlyBird

Explorer
OOC: Take it the rest of us aren't party to all this yet,

Javelin in hand, sword across his back and at the ready, Zander tried to bolster his confidence. "Only 7,500 more experienced steps until I approve in ability.", He thinks to himself.

"Ha!" he laughs out loud suddenly. Zander was living in a fantasy world.

Remove ads