• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

ICv2 Top 5 Roleplaying Games - Q4 2010

Azgulor

Adventurer
But... but... how can this be?!?!? The RPG Apocalypse was at hand!!! I read it here on the Internet! How can this be?!?!? :hmm:

Somebody needs to take Chicken Little to the woodshed...

Congrats to all the companies & good gaming to all!

JoeGKushner

First Post
I'm really surprised at Dragon Age being up there. I'd figured the dearth of product releases for it would've doomed it well behind Warhammer or other games.

I wonder if doing the Q4 posts not as opposed to say Feb or earlier might be resulting in some interviews posting Dragonage as higher than it actually is in anticipation of Dragon Age 2?

I'll be looking forward to Q1 2011 to see what those numbers say.

JoeGKushner

First Post
Have there been any new RPG launches in Q1?

I don't think so.

With WoTC hav
ing virtually no print products the first quarter, and Paizo putting out their regular good stuff, and Dragon Age 2 actually hitting the stores, I'm sure that'll be a boost. FFG has continued to support their game lines so I can see that will still probably play a huge role in things.

As WoTC goes more and more digitla and random card goods and less physical product, the 'leftovers' if you will, are interesting to see who gets who and who goes where.

With White Wolf essentially also out of the picture, with Exalted not even making a showing in the top 5.

Green Ronin's DC game still amped with more support to come, as well as some more Dragon Age goodness.

I'm so unhip though in terms of what's new or forthcoming, I can't even think of what else is out there that's new or might grab attention. Hell, the rate things are going I was thinking Runequest might have some fans but that fanbase might be split between the Mongoose version and the Chaosium Basic Roleplaying System.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Also good news:

Sales in the hobby game channel grew around 10% in
2010 despite a continued weak economy, according to the 2010 market report in Internal Correspondence #74. The increase was the result of growth in every game category in 2010. The saying says “As goes Magic, so goes the hobby game market,” and that certainly held true in 2010.

ICv2 - Hobby Game Channel Up 10%
This is the important part.

It means that I can put away my black bunting and armband. :)

The Auld Grump

MrMyth

First Post
Pathfinder "kicked the bejesus" out of D&D in Q1 of 2011? I'd find it interesting to see the numbers which lead to that phrase.

Can't say for sure, but that would hardly seem much of a surprise - the only real WotC content in the first few months of 2011 was... Fortune Cards and a Gamma World product (Legion of Gold) in February.

I imagine Q1 2011 will see Pathfinder in the lead, and Q2 will see D&D back at number 1, with the release of Heroes of Shadow and the Shadowfell box set.

Perram

Explorer
Can't say for sure, but that would hardly seem much of a surprise - the only real WotC content in the first few months of 2011 was... Fortune Cards and a Gamma World product (Legion of Gold) in February.

I imagine Q1 2011 will see Pathfinder in the lead, and Q2 will see D&D back at number 1, with the release of Heroes of Shadow and the Shadowfell box set.

I would have to agree, I mean... 4e just hasn't put out any product in a long time. I hope Hero of Shadows helps things... but they just don't have new books on the shelves.

deinol

First Post
I doubt the Red Box boosted hobby channel sales. It was designed exclusively to be an impulse buy at places like Target and Barnes and Noble. On the other hand, the rest of the essentials line has gone over well with 4E players. Most of the people I heard complaining about Essentials were people who weren't playing 4E anyway. I barely play 4E, but I still picked up a Rules Compendium. I'm tempted to grab the monster vault. Gamma World has also done well, and is counted in the 4E sales. I keep meaning to pick up a copy myself.

On the other hand, with Bestiary 2 as a Q4 release so late it might as well be Q1 by the time it hits stores, and the World Guide from Paizo, I would be surprised if Pathfinder doesn't pull into the lead for Q1. WotC seems to have stalled their production chain for a while. I wouldn't be surprised if they announce some sort of shift in their strategy soon. What that will look like is anyone's guess. (I doubt it is a new edition though.)

I for one am happy to see Dragon Age is still going strong. I keep meaning to check out MM3 as well.

Remove ads