ICv2's Latest RPG Chart: Pathfinder Up, Fallout Arrives

ICV2's chart of the top TTRPGs for Fall 2021 has landed. As usual, it puts D&D in top place; Pathfinder has reclaimed 2nd place after a dip in Spring 2021, and Goodman Games' D&D 5E line has its own entry coming in at 3rd place, spurred by the 5E version of The Temple of Elemental Evil. The Aliens RPG has dropped off the chart (it had held 4th place since Fall 2020) and Call of Cthulhu...

ICV2's chart of the top TTRPGs for Fall 2021 has landed. As usual, it puts D&D in top place; Pathfinder has reclaimed 2nd place after a dip in Spring 2021, and Goodman Games' D&D 5E line has its own entry coming in at 3rd place, spurred by the 5E version of The Temple of Elemental Evil.

The Aliens RPG has dropped off the chart (it had held 4th place since Fall 2020) and Call of Cthulhu features for the first time since 2016. Finally, Modiphius' Fallout RPG has appeared in 4th place.

fallout.png

As always, the historical charts can all be found compiled here.

Position​
Game Line​
1Dungeons & Dragons (WotC)
2Pathfinder (Paizo)
3D&D 5E (Goodman Games)
4Fallout (Modiphius)
5Call of Cthulhu (Chaosium)

As always, these charts are compiled via interviews with retailers and distributors in North America.

ICv2 also reports that the hobby game channel was up 30% in 2021 as people started to return to brick-and-mortar stores. They also report that a staggering 90%+ of TTRPG groups are playing Dungeons & Dragons, according to Gameology's Kevin Gaffuri. Distributors are reporting, however, that smaller RPGs are up, lifted by D&Ds success.

TheSword

Legend
They also report that a staggering 90%+ of TTRPG groups are playing Dungeons & Dragons, according to Gameology's Kevin Gaffuri. Distributors are reporting, however, that smaller RPGs are up, lifted by D&Ds success.
I like that. A rising tide lifts all ships. We see that in a few industries… competition when it serves as recruitment into the industry doesn’t have to be a zero-sum game.

dave2008

Legend
Good to see Pathfinder back in second as strong sales of 2e continue to propel Paizo's growth.
Maybe, but this doesn't really tell us anything about the actually says. Also, IIRC, "Pathfinder" is PF1 & PF2, but I could be wrong on that.

The only thing that this does is tell us is that PF is behind 5e and just above a couple of 5e adventures from Goodman games (which is amazing)

No trying to be negative, I think PF2 is a great game, but this doesn't tell us anything about the sales of PF2.

Jimmy Dick

Adventurer
Maybe, but this doesn't really tell us anything about the actually says. Also, IIRC, "Pathfinder" is PF1 & PF2, but I could be wrong on that.

The only thing that this does is tell us is that PF is behind 5e and just above a couple of 5e adventures from Goodman games (which is amazing)

No trying to be negative, I think PF2 is a great game, but this doesn't tell us anything about the sales of PF2.
It tells us a lot. Paizo stopped printing 1e products 3 years ago. The backstocks are almost completely gone. Those sales you see today are almost entirely 2e products. I wouldn't say Pathfinder is just above Goodman Games. This could easily reflect a huge gulf between the #2 and #3 spots.

While it’s nice to see the success of old classics revived by Goodman Games, can there be any more doubt that collectors drive much of the RPG market today? Massive 250+ page hardbacks containing three or four different versions of the once 32 page modules are the farthest thing from a practical format to use at the table.

I expect middle-aged former gamers who drop $400+ a year on books they’ll never use in a game session account for a large share of the RPG market. Which is fair enough for them, and great for publishers. But I do wonder how it affects what gets published and the format it’s presented in.

It tells us a lot. Paizo stopped printing 1e products 3 years ago. The backstocks are almost completely gone. Those sales you see today are almost entirely 2e products. I wouldn't say Pathfinder is just above Goodman Games. This could easily reflect a huge gulf between the #2 and #3 spots.
Not true at all. My local gaming store still has a significant stock of PF1 material. They have more PF1 that 2 on their shelves.

dave2008

Legend
Yes I should have simply said "above." All I meant was one spot above, but I see how it could imply other things. Of course we have no idea how much above. I was more impressed that Goodman Games 5e was above everything else!

Good point about PF1 stock, I was unaware they stopped printing 1e products. That is too bad, I thought they would do better than WotC on that front.

dave2008

Legend
Not true at all. My local gaming store still has a significant stock of PF1 material. They have more PF1 that 2 on their shelves.
I honestly haven't checked the PF stock at my store in a long time. The last time I checked they had PF2 stuff on the discount rack while PF1 stuff was in the main Paizo section. I think there were a lot of people unhappy with the change in my area (at least initially). I couldn't find a game in the first few months and eventually gave up trying. I still think it is great game, just haven't had a chance to actually play it yet!

Last edited:

Staffan

Legend
AFAIK, they are still printing PF1 hardbacks in "pocket" format (though that wouldn't make them hardbacks anymore, but you know what I mean), and have said that they're planning on doing so as long as they're selling. Non-hardbacks are generally not reprinted at all, so whatever is on the store shelves is stuff that hasn't been sold yet.

Remove ads

Remove ads