I'd like to see a dire eagle take off.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Darklone said:
Huhm. Just wanted to mention that some years ago people assumed most bigger dinosaurs couldn't leave water for long cause their heart wouldn't be strong enough to pump enough blood into the head.

I think you're not quite accurate there - being in the water does not change how much pressure is required to move the blood.

Please remember that engineering sciences have advanced a great deal since things like that were going around. These days, we can identify where muscles attach to bones, and calculate the stresses on the skeletal structure. And we aren't talking about dinosaurs - this is a beast only 6 million years old, there is no evidence that the basic deisgns for birds have changed all that much over that short a period.

Jhaelen

First Post
Agamon said:
I'd like to see a dragon take off. Or breathe fire for that matter. Ridiculous.
Yup. Giants wouldn't be able to walk, giant insects wouldn't be able to live, etc. Many monsters could never exist in the real world - that's why d&d's a fantasy rpg...

Nyeshet

First Post
Jhaelen said:
Yup. Giants wouldn't be able to walk, giant insects wouldn't be able to live, etc. Many monsters could never exist in the real world - that's why d&d's a fantasy rpg...
Depends on how large the insects are and what the air pressure / content is. Higher O2 and somewhat higher pressure allowed for eagle-sized dragon flies, after all, as well as spiders, scorpions, ants, etc that were notably larger than their modern counterparts.

Meganeura, the eagle sized dragonfly
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meganeura

Arthropleura, the largest land anthropod ever
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthropleura

phindar

First Post
Actually, I have a theory that covers giant insects and giant flying creatures.

The D&D minis are Actual Size. So the Colossal spider is just one of the big South American tarantulas. And a Giant Eagle is about the size of an ordinary sparrow.

My theory also explains how high level D&D characters can routinely survive 1000' falls.

ivocaliban

First Post
Hard science and fantasy don't generally mix. Even giants (as in really big humanoids) can't hold up under scientific scrutiny, let alone really big birds. So it goes.

Darth Shoju

First Post
Moon-Lancer said:
I wonder what happened to all that oxygen? perhaps less trees to creatures ratio??

Perhaps. Although, half of the world's oxygen comes from plankton, so that would have to be factored in too. EDIT: After reading about a bit, it seems you may be right!

As to the thread topic: D&D and real-world science do not make good partners. And that was a cool article about a cool animal!

Remove ads