• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

ID: Weapon from the anime movie Ninja Scroll

papa_laz

First Post
Thanks for your input guys. I like Saeviomagy's idea of enchanting it with that spell. Or I could just make it a legendary weapon with its own rules. After all that demons must be at least level 20.

Last edited:

Felon

First Post
By the way, does anyone actually know what in the movie actually has to do with a scroll? I've seen advertisements for a Ninja Scroll series. Are Jubei's exploits more prolific than just the one movie?

Nazerel

First Post
I'd go with Anime Kidd's suggestion. I'd say the majority of the characters in NS were high level and maybe with epic-levels thrown in (being able to spontaneously regenerate seems appropriate for it). You could just say that Tessai's sword was a unique weapon with multiple or a more powerful version of the distance ability.

The spell mentioned is called Whirling Blade, and is 2nd level, not 1st. It's not a bad spell for a spellcasting warrior type. Combined with the right feats (Arcane Strike and the one metamagic feat that allows you to change the area of effect of a spell), it can be pretty devastating but no more powerful than a similar spell of the same level (like fireball or lightning bolt). Though it's debatable whether or not you could use it with special maneuvers like sunder, trip, or disarm (the text does say deals damage as if the weapon was wielded normally in melee).

As for the NS mini-series, it consists of 13 episodes, only half the length of a full season, which normally consists of 26 episodes. If you're expecting a continuation of the movie, you're in for disappointment since there is no real mention of the movie's events. The monk character Dakuan does show up, but again, no mention or hint of Kagero. The Devils of Kimon, though none of the original members, are also featured, but the series seems to be a independent reworking of several themes from the movie rather than as a sequel or prequel.

Plot-wise, it's somewhat meandering and doesn't make a whole lot of sense, and episodes suffer from "monster of the week" syndrome (the original Devils in the movie at least were interesting). Jubei doesn't seem to be quite the same character you might remember from the movie either; he's more mercenary and less noble. The side characters of the "priestess" and the annoying thief serve no real purpose other than deus ex machina device and comedy relief, respectively. The animation can be decent at times, but definitely not movie quality. The series is good for a casual viewing and it has its moments, but hardcore fans will be left wanting more.

If you search the net, I'm pretty sure you'll find that the title of NS was a mistranslation or a simplifying of the original movie title from Japanese into English (since there is no "scroll" of import to speak of).

For samurai/ninja anime action, Samurai Champloo is one series I (tentatively) recommend (from the same guy who created Cowboy Bebop) but its hip-hop and rap music with feudal Japan theme might rub some people the wrong way. CB is by far the superior series of the two. Samurai 7 is another odd series, retelling Akira Kurosawa's original classic Seven Samurai, complete with samurai robots (I wish I was kidding).

And Ninja Resurrection does suck (and has no affiliation at all with NS; it's largely believed to have been simply a misleading ploy used by the makers of NR to boost sales by duping fans into thinking it's a sequel of NS; the two characters of Jubei from each movie are totally different).

Remove ads