Ideas for a "Shapechanger" Base Class

Dagredhel

Explorer
I dunno how useful this will be, but for BAB, you seem to be looking for something between medium and full...

Hi Sylrae. Thanks for the reply!

I think I've decided to bit the bullet and go with full BAB, just to track with official material. But I *do* appreciate what you've done. As I mentioned above, a slew of full BAB classes aren't really to my taste... Its too much of an imposition on the Fighter's turf, IMHO.;)

Dagredhel

Explorer
I've been playing with a Skinwalker type of class myself. Mostly because I like the idea of a werebear but hate how you have to build one in 3.5. I think the class should be based on the Druid alternative class ability Shapeshift from the PHB II. My idea was to also build it off of the barbarian class, replacing the Rage ability with the Shapeshift ability. Of course I had only thought about a full combat version of a bear Skinwalker as of yet. Mostly this is just an idea floating around in my head at the moment.

Hi Tetsubo. I love the name "Skinwalker". I've been keeping "skinchanger", which is close, in the back of my mind name as a possible name for the class I'd like to make. I prefer the PHB variant for the simplicity, too. I hope you end up statting up your concept.

In case you'd find it interesting, here is my Bear Warrior build:

(Barbarian levels are City Brawler (DR 349 p92) Bear Totem Barbarian (UA) variants.)

• 1st Barbarian 1:
    Illiteracy
    Rage, 1/day
    Feat: Toughness
    Feat: Improved Unarmed Strike
    Feat: Two-Weapon Fighting (with Unarmed Strike only)
    Only take a –2 penalty on Attack rolls with Improvised weapons
    Human Bonus Feat: Extra Rage (+2/day)
    Bonus Feat: Extend Rage (+5 rounds)
    Flaw: Shaky (-2 to ranged attack rolls)
    Bonus Feat: Endurance
    Flaw: Inattentive (-4 to Listen and Spot Checks)
    Bonus Feat: Steadfast Determination (use Con instead of
    Wis on Will Saves; 1 not auto-failure)
  • 2nd Barbarian 2:
    Feat: Improved Grapple (+4 to grapple checks)
  • 3rd Fighter 1:
    Fighter Bonus Feat: Versatile Unarmed Strike
    Bonus Feat: Superior Unarmed Strike (3rd - 1d4, 4th - 1d6,
    8th - 1d8, 12th - 1d10, 16th - 2d6)
  • 4th Fighter 2:
    Fighter Bonus Feat: Power Attack
    +1 to Strength
  • 5th Barbarian 3:
    Feat: Great Fortitude
  • 6th Barbarian 4:
    Rage, 2/day
    Bonus Feat: Extra Rage
  • 7th Barbarian 5:
    +4 bonus on Grapple checks when Raging
  • 8th Bear Warrior 1:
    Bear Form (black, +8 Str, +2 Dex, +4 Con, Medium Animal,
    Speed 40 ft., +2 natural armor, Space/Reach: 5’/5’,
    Claw 1d4 or 2 Claws 1d4 + Bite 1d6)
    +1 to Strength
  • 9th Bear Warrior 2
    Bonus Feat: Improved Natural Attack (Claw)
  • 10th Bear Warrior 3:
    Scent
  • 11th Bear Warrior 4
  • 12th Bear Warrior 5:
    Bear Form (brown, +16 Str, +2 Dex, +8 Con, Large Animal,
    Speed 40 ft., +5 natural armor [-1 size], Space/Reach: 10’/5’,
    Claw1d8 or 2 Claws 1d8 + Bite 2d6, SA: Improved Grab with Claw attacks)
    Bonus Feat: Multiattack
    +1 to Strength
  • 13th Warshaper 1:
    Morphic Immunities (immune to stunning & critical hits)
    Morphic Weapons
  • 14th Warshaper 2:
    Morphic Body (+4 Str & +4 Con)
  • 15th Warshaper 3
    Morphic Reach (+5’ with natural weapons)
    Bonus Feat: Combat Reflexes
  • 16th Bear Warrior 6
    +1 to Strength
  • 17th Bear Warrior 7
    Rage +1/day
  • 18th Bear Warrior 8
    Bonus Feat: Improved Multiattack
  • 19th Bear Warrior 9
  • 20th Bear Warrior 10
    Bear Form (Dire, +20 Str, +2 Dex, +8 Con, Large Animal,
    Speed 40 ft., +7 natural armor [-1 size], Space/Reach: 10’/5’,
    Claw 2d4 or 2 Claws 2d4 + Bite 2d8, SA: Improved Grab with Claw attacks)
    +1 to Strength

Arkhandus

First Post
The Attack Shift or equivalent ability would be much simpler, of course, if you just set it to a specific list of options instead of being so open-ended and semi-freeform. It would also help to actually make the attacks resembling natural weapons simply BE natural weapons.

Then, if worried about how the characters' feats wouldn't apply with many of their attacks (Weapon Focus - Unarmed Strike not applying to all of them, frex), you could just give them a simple class feature that lets them change the natural weapon that any given feat applies to at any time, with a move action or something. Similar to the Warblade's class feature, but simpler. Like, say:

Natural Prowess (Ex): The shapeshifter is skilled in all kinds of unarmed combat, easily adapting their skills to work with different natural weapons while shapeshifted. Thus, as a move-equivalent action, the shapeshifter may change one or more feats that he has chosen the same natural weapon for (or unarmed strikes for, alternatively) to function with a different natural weapon of their choice (choose only a single type each time). This change lasts until the shapeshifter spends another move-equivalent action to undo the change, or to make a different change to the feat(s).

One possible, simplified version of Attack Shift could be:

Attack Shift (Ex): You can effect small changes to your external features, focusing on the combat instincts and prowess of other creatures like lions, elk, dragons, griffons, and minotaurs. By doing so, you develop temporary natural weapons similar to those other creatures. You can also focus on manufactured weapons and grow a temporary copy of them from your own flesh and bones, shapeshifting them into the right materials.

The shapeshifter may use Attack Shift at will, as a standard action or full-round action. You can make one change with a standard action, or two changes with a full-round action. Each change from one use of Attack Shift must be identical to the other change from it, though; forming claws on two hands, or forming two horns, forming two tentacles, or similar. To form multiple types of weapon or natural weapon, you must activate the ability more than once. You can deactivate the effects of an Attack Shift as a free action on your turn, otherwise they last for up to 1 minute (10 rounds).

If you use Attack Shift to gain more than one natural weapon (whether in a single use or multiple uses with overlapping durations), you do not gain extra attacks from these natural weapons. Use your Base Attack Bonus to determine your number of attacks per round. The *INSERT OPTIONAL CLASS FEATURE NAME HERE* shapeshifter power can grant you extra attacks with these natural weapons, however, as detailed in that power's description.

You cannot grow more than one extra limb through Attack Shifts, or up to two extra limbs at 5th-level onward, up to three at 9th-level onward, up to four at 13th-level onward, and up to five at 17th-level onward. Each use of Attack Shift has one of the following effects, your choice each time:

Bite: You grow fangs and larger jaws than normal, resembling those of another creature. You gain a bite attack as a natural weapon, dealing 1d6 damage for a Medium-size shapeshifter (adjust the base damage according to your size). This bite deals bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage, and adds your full Strength bonus to damage. As normal, this bite uses your race's natural reach, threatens a critical hit on a natural attack roll of 20, and deals double damage on a successful critical hit. The base damage improves as you gain levels in the shapeshifter class. At 5th-level onward, the base damage is 1d8 points, at 9th-level it improves to 1d10, at 13th-level it becomes 2d6, and at 17th-level onward it is 2d8 points.

Claw: You grow a larger hand with sharp claws instead of nails, resembling those of another creature. You gain a claw attack as a natural weapon, dealing 1d6 damage for a Medium-size shapeshifter (adjust the base damage according to your size). This claw deals bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage, and adds your full Strength bonus to damage. As normal, this claw uses your race's natural reach, threatens a critical hit on a natural attack roll of 20, and deals double damage on a successful critical hit. The base damage improves as you gain levels in the shapeshifter class. At 5th-level onward, the base damage is 1d8 points, at 9th-level it improves to 1d10, at 13th-level it becomes 2d6, and at 17th-level onward it is 2d8 points.

Pincer: You grow an extra arm ending in a sharp pincer, resembling that of another creature. You gain a pincer attack as a natural weapon, dealing 1d4 damage for a Medium-size shapeshifter (adjust the base damage according to your size). This pincer deals slashing damage, and adds your full Strength bonus to damage. This pincer uses your race's natural reach, threatens a critical hit on a natural attack roll of 19 or 20, and deals double damage on a successful critical hit. The base damage improves as you gain levels in the shapeshifter class. At 5th-level onward, the base damage is 1d6 points, at 9th-level it improves to 1d8, at 13th-level it becomes 1d10, and at 17th-level onward it is 1d12 points.

Stinger: You grow a short tail ending in a large stinger, resembling that of another creature. You gain a stinger attack as a natural weapon, dealing 1d4 damage for a Medium-size shapeshifter (adjust the base damage according to your size). This stinger deals piercing damage, and adds one-half your Strength bonus to damage. This stinger uses your race's natural reach, threatens a critical hit on a natural attack roll of 18, 19, or 20, and deals double damage on a successful critical hit. The base damage improves as you gain levels in the shapeshifter class. At 5th-level onward, the base damage is 1d6 points, at 9th-level it improves to 1d8, at 13th-level it becomes 1d10, and at 17th-level onward it is 1d12 points.

Tail: You grow a long, muscled tail, resembling that of another creature. You gain a tail attack as a natural weapon, dealing 1d3 damage for a Medium-size shapeshifter (adjust the base damage according to your size). This tail deals bludgeoning damage, and adds your full Strength bonus to damage. This tail is not prehensile, but it can help with some athletic activities, so it provides you with a +2 bonus on Balance, Climb, Jump, and Swim checks. This tail has a 5-foot greater natural reach than the norm for your race, threatens a critical hit on a natural attack roll of 20, and deals double damage on a successful critical hit. The base damage improves as you gain levels in the shapeshifter class. At 5th-level onward, the base damage is 1d4 points, at 9th-level it improves to 1d6, at 13th-level it becomes 1d8, and at 17th-level onward it is 1d10 points.

etc.

I'll add more later.

Tiny Little Raven

Banned
Banned
Hi Tiny Little Raven. Thank you for sharing your work!

I'm intrigued by the backstory you envision for your Vardøger class. I googled the term, so have an inkling about the link to shapeshifting, but wonder about the bent towards investigation and detection. Would you mind elaborating? (Not here, necessarily; I think a "fluff" description of the class would add to your own thread.) I enjoyed the beginnings of the Wildling class as well--- looking forward to seeing the rest of it!
Glad to be of help. I finished up my Wildling class.

I'll see if I can get some flavor text worked up for the Vardøger over the weekend.

Dagredhel

Explorer
Glad to be of help. I finished up my Wildling class.

I really enjoyed the way you split the classes to cover different ground.

I'll see if I can get some flavor text worked up for the Vardøger over the weekend.

I look forward to it!

Question, BTW... Are you looking for feedback in the thread itself, or were you looking to preserve it as an "uncluttered" archive of all your creations?

Dagredhel

Explorer
Some progress to report!

I cleared out the first post to make room for the class write-up. (I moved the original text to the second post.)

I added several paragraphs of "fluff" description, and took a stab at tentatively detailing the basic class features like HD, BAB, Saves, Skills, and armor and weapon proficiencies.

I managed to reply to Arkhandus' *first* post, (I'm still a post behind,) and you'll note his influence.

My first attempt at actual mechanics is an ability with "Natural Arsenal" as the working title...

Natural Arsenal: <The original name I had in mind for this was "Somatic Weaponry".> A Soulshifter's body is his primary weapon. Depending on the forms he is able to assume, a Soulshifter may be capable of shaping his body into an amazing array of natural weaponry. Conversely, a Soulshifter may rely on a single potent form of attack. Options vary with the forms a Soulshifter has mastered, and increase with the diversity of his shapeshifting repetoire.

Even in their natural form, a humanoid Soulshifter is a potent combatant, capable of making a Slam attack which may represent a punch, kick, elbow or knee, straightarm, gouge, headbutt or any other sort of unarmed fighting manuever or combination of blows. The Soulshifter's body is a deadly weapon regardless of the shape it wears. The Soulshifter is always considered armed, and may threaten any squares within his reach.

While a Soulshifter's attacks take the form of natural weapons of one sort or another, they follow seperate mechanics. Regardless of the number or combination of natural weapons a particular form has, the Soulshifter's attacks are adjudicated by a single attack roll and damage. This damage may represent the sum effect of multiple natural weapons brought to bear or the result of a single, more powerful attack, but is treated a single attack for all mechanical purposes. A Soulshifter does not receive extra "iterative" attacks from a high BAB when attacking in this fashion, and cannot normally combine this type of attack with a manufactured weapon attack, unarmed strike, or natural weapon attack from some other source.

The Soulshifter's attack can be used as a standard action, full attack, or attack of opportunity, in a grapple (normally with a -4 penalty) or at the end of a charge. The Soulshifter's Natural Arsenal is considered a natural weapon for the purpose of adjudicating the effects of spells, feats, or class abilities that affect natural weapons.

Beginning at 1st level, a Soulshifter's attacks do 1d6 points of damage plus 1-1/2 times his Strength modifier (if any.) This damage increases by an additional 1d6 points at 6th, 11th, 16th, and 20th levels.

Take a look and let me know what you think?

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
I think that the class's natural attacks should be allowed to be made as secondary after using manufactured weapons, as basically every single creature has the option. Even wildshaped druids can do a full unarmed strike attack and then all natural attacks as secondary. It's just not often a good idea.

I think damage should be based on size, such as "1d6 for medium creatures," using damage tables to find values for other sizes, unless this class will decide what size the user becomes (as opposed to what I was envisioning, closer to the PH2 Druid variant, where you're mostly staying the same size barring a few feet or pounds either way but gaining claws, wings, etc...).

The slam attack should be just a natural attack always available for 1d6 (for medium), and should definitely not be talked about like an unarmed strike, because that way lies madness.

I don't know if I like the dice scaling damage. Again, my vision is more like a PH2 Druid or...better example: a Warshaper. Keeping the base, but altering and adding parts as you see fit. I think you should try and keep it simple as possible. Perhaps give a +1 enhancement bonus on all natural weapon attacks from the class every four levels, to offset a Druid's spell buffing. I don't know what to do for the "paths" you want, I guess you should just have a class feature every few levels that lets you pick a feature from a list. The warlike path might increase natural weapon size or let you add more natural weapons to your attack routine. A spy-type option might offer faster transformation, a Druid's Thousand Faces ability, etc... maybe another "fast healing" path to get similar benefits to Warshaper (and more, if you take most of those as features) to gain crit immunity from shifting vitals around, fast healing, immunity to injury poisons and disease by controlling your own blood flow, whatever. The benefits should probably be tiered like Warlock powers (something you mentioned as a basis for ideas), as some beenfits will obviously be more powerful than others.

As for proficiencies...I don't know if the class should even get martial weapons.

Dagredhel

Explorer
I think that the class's natural attacks should be allowed to be made as secondary after using manufactured weapons, as basically every single creature has the option. Even wildshaped druids can do a full unarmed strike attack and then all natural attacks as secondary. It's just not often a good idea.

Hi StreamOfTheSky. You may be right. Maybe going for a completely new mechanic that doesn't interact with other manufactured or natural weapon attacks is just too much to easily swallow. My primary intention was to avoid the reliance on multiple attacks per round. I liked the trend towards other options in the PHBII and in the Star Wars Saga Edition rules.

I think damage should be based on size, such as "1d6 for medium creatures," using damage tables to find values for other sizes, unless this class will decide what size the user becomes (as opposed to what I was envisioning, closer to the PH2 Druid variant, where you're mostly staying the same size barring a few feet or pounds either way but gaining claws, wings, etc...).

Doesn't it seem like Small characters get the shaft? The only reason to play a halfling or gnome Monk is to play against type and despite the inherent disadvantage. And Large characters get extra bennies--- like they need them.

I understand and even appreciate it from the standpoint of NPC design, but it always bugged ne from the PC perspective.

I did intend to include options for size changes, but based on increases or decreases from the normal Size of the character. (The PHBII Druid can gain two size increments from higher-level forms.)

All that said, I admit it might just be best to follow more closely the example of standard rule mechanics.

The slam attack should be just a natural attack always available for 1d6 (for medium), and should definitely not be talked about like an unarmed strike, because that way lies madness.

Yep.

I don't know if I like the dice scaling damage. Again, my vision is more like a PH2 Druid or...better example: a Warshaper. Keeping the base, but altering and adding parts as you see fit. I think you should try and keep it simple as possible.

Since I agree with all of this, maybe I was getting a bit carried away.

Perhaps give a +1 enhancement bonus on all natural weapon attacks from the class every four levels, to offset a Druid's spell buffing.

Definitely. (Soulblades were the trendsetters, btw.)

I don't know what to do for the "paths" you want, I guess you should just have a class feature every few levels that lets you pick a feature from a list. The warlike path might increase natural weapon size or let you add more natural weapons to your attack routine. A spy-type option might offer faster transformation, a Druid's Thousand Faces ability, etc... maybe another "fast healing" path to get similar benefits to Warshaper (and more, if you take most of those as features) to gain crit immunity from shifting vitals around, fast healing, immunity to injury poisons and disease by controlling your own blood flow, whatever. The benefits should probably be tiered like Warlock powers (something you mentioned as a basis for ideas), as some beenfits will obviously be more powerful than others.

You've convinced me to try scaling back some of the dramatic mechanical changes I've been considering, and try something less ambitious... at least to start.

I'll either end up with *two* shapechanger classes, or try to shoehorn more options into the new one below later.

As for proficiencies...I don't know if the class should even get martial weapons.

I wasn't completely sold on that one either, to be honest. I toned it down to simple weapons only for the "Skinchanger" class I'll post below.

Last edited:

Dagredhel

Explorer
SKINCHANGER
Alignment: Any.
Hit Die: d8.

Class Skills
The skinchanger’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Escape Artist (Dex), Handle Animal (Cha), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (nature) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str).
Skill Points at 1st Level: (6 + Int modifier) x4.
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 6 + Int modifier.

Code:
[SIZE="2"][B]Table: The Skinchanger[/B][/SIZE]

[B]Level	BAB	            Fort    Ref    Will Special[/B]
1st	+1	             +2     +2	    +2	Morphic arsenal, morphic aspect, morphic sight
2nd	+2	             +3     +3	    +3	Morphic armor +1, morphic combat I
3rd	+3	             +3     +3	    +3	Morphic aspect
4th	+4	             +4     +4	    +4	Morphic armor +2, morphic arsenal (+1)
5th	+5	             +4     +4	    +4	Morphic aspect
6th	+6/+1	             +5     +5	    +5	Morphic armor +3, morphic arsenal (extra attack or damage), morphic combat II
7th	+7/+2	             +5     +5	    +5	Morphic aspect
8th	+8/+3	             +6     +6	    +6	Morphic armor +4, morphic arsenal (+2), Scent
9th	+9/+4	             +6     +6	    +6	Morphic aspect
10th	+10/+5	             +7     +7	    +7	Morphic armor +5, morphic combat III
11th	+11/+6/+1            +7     +7	    +7	Morphic arsenal (extra attack or damage), morphic aspect 
12th	+12/+7/+2            +8     +8	    +8	Morphic armor +6, morphic arsenal (+3) , shapechanger
13th	+13/+8/+3            +8     +8      +8	Morphic aspect
14th	+14/+9/+4            +9     +9	    +9	Morphic armor +7, morphic combat IV
15th	+15/+10/+5           +9     +9      +9	Morphic aspect
16th	+16/+11/+6/+1	     +10    +10	   +10	Morphic Senses, morphic armor +8, morphic arsenal (+4, extra attack or damage) 
17th	+17/+12/+7/+2	     +10    +10	   +10	Morphic aspect
18th	+18/+13/+8/+3	     +11    +11	   +11	Morphic armor +9, morphic combat V
19th	+19/+14/+9/+4	     +11    +11	   +11	Morphic aspect
20th	+20/+15/+10/+5	     +12    +12	   +12	Morphic armor +10, morphic arsenal (+5), morphic freedom

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the skinchanger.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A skinchanger is proficient with all simple weapons and with light armor and shields (except tower shields).

Morphic Armor (Ex): Beginning at 2nd level, the natural armor a skinchanger gains when assuming a different form via the morphic aspect ability increases by one point. It increases by a further point at each even-numbered level gained, up to an additional 10 points at level 20.

Morphic Arsenal (Ex): Beginning at 1st level, the skinchanger has the power to shape a natural weapon or weapons when assuming another form using his morphic aspect ability. The skinchanger may change his selection of natural weapon or weapons each time he changes form. A form may also provide more than one attack form, but only one may be used at a time. For example, both bite and claw attacks would be available to a skinchanger in the shape of a bear, If more than one attack form is available in a given shape, the skinchanger can switch between attack forms as a free action. The skinchanger’s options are limited only by the forms he is capable of assuming and the attack forms available to those forms.

These attacks follow the normal rules for natural attacks. The character chooses one of the attack forms listed below.

Code:
[B]Attack Form                      Damage	     Damage Type[/B]
1 Bite  (mandibles)                1d6	     Bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing
2 Claws (talons, pincers)	 1d4/1d4     Piercing and slashing
1 Gore  (sting)                    1d6	     Piercing
2 Slams (fists, hooves)          1d3/1d3     Bludgeoning
1 Slam  (body block, fist,         1d4	     Bludgeoning
            tail slap, tentacle,
            wing slam)

Listed damage is for a creature of Medium size. Damage should be adjusted upwards for larger creatures or downwards for characters of smaller size.

As the skinchanger grows in power, the magical nature of the skinchanger’s transformations empowers his natural attacks. At 4th level, he receives a +1 enhancement bonus to hit and damage with natural weapons. This bonus increases by another +1 per 4 additional skinchanger levels (at levels 8, 12, 16, and 20.) His natural weapons are treated as magical weapons for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction or striking intangible foes.

With experience, the skinchanger’s prowess with these natural weapons increases. At levels 6, 11, and 16, the skinchanger may choose an additional attack form as a secondary natural attack. He may choose from any attack forms available to the form he has assumed. Only one attack may be made with a given appendage or body part. Alternately, the skinchanger may increase the damage dealt by an attack form by one size category. These options may be mixed. For example, an 11th level skinchanger may either make secondary attacks with two additional attack forms, choose one additional attack form as a secondary attack and increase the damage dealt by either his primary or secondary attack form by one size category, or increase the damage of his primary attack form by two size categories.

Morphic Aspect (Su): At 1st level, the skinchanger can assume powerful alternate form. As the skinchanger gains experience, more forms and special abilities become available.
Unless otherwise noted, alternate forms assumed through the use of this ability share the following traits:
  • The character may determine the cosmetic details of the form assumed each time the ability is used, within the parameters defined for each particular form. The skinchanger is effectively disguised as a creature of the appropriate type selected, and receives a +10 circumstance bonus on Disguise checks to pose as a creature of that type.
  • Assuming a different form is a swift action.
  • If multiple forms are available, the skinchanger can switch between them without first returning to his original form.
  • The power may be used at will, with no limit on the time spent in another form.
  • All of the characteristics and abilities of the character’s base form are retained unless otherwise noted.
  • Only those new abilities specifically noted are gained in the new form.
  • Equipment worn, carried, or held blends into the new form and becomes nonfunctional.
  • If the character assumes an appropriate form, he can ignore extremes of temperature as if dressed in clothing appropriate to the climate and environment. Likewise, the character can add an inherent bonus equal to 1/2 his class level to Survival checks when in a form native or suitably adapted to his present environment.
  • The abilities to speak, wield a weapon, and perform skills requiring fine manipulation are lost when a different form is assumed.
  • A character cannot cast spells or activate a magical item when in a different form.
  • If rendered unconscious or killed, the character reverts to his original form.

<List forms and abilities here.>

Morphic Combat (Ex): Each form selected from morphic aspect list provides a chain of feats or special abilities that may be called upon if the skinchanger takes the appropriate form and uses the corresponding natural attack form. As the skinchanger advances in experience, more potent options become available. See the individual entries for each form under morphic aspect for details.

Morphic Freedom (Ex): The skinchanger's mastery of his physical form renders him immune to stunning and critical hits. His Damage Reduction increases to DR 10/Silver. Finally, his mutable anatomy makes it impossible to get him in a firm grip; the skinchanger is treated as if constantly under the effects of a Freedom of Movement spell.

Morphic Senses (Ex): At 16th level, the skinchanger gains blindsense with a range of 30 feet. Using non-visual senses the skinchanger notices things it cannot see. He usually does not need to make Spot or Listen checks to notice and pinpoint the location of creatures within range of his blindsense ability, provided that he has line of effect to that creature.
Any opponent the skinchanger cannot see still has total concealment against him, and the skinchanger still has the normal miss chance when attacking foes that have concealment. Visibility still affects the skinchanger’s movement, and the skinchanger is still denied its Dexterity bonus to Armor Class against attacks from creatures it cannot see.

Morphic Sight (Ex): When assuming a morphic aspect, the skinchanger can see twice as far as a normal in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination, and retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions. If the skinchanger possesses this ability from another source, he instead can see four times farter than normal.

Scent (Ex): At 8th level, the skinchanger gains the ability to detect approaching enemies and sniff out hidden foes, and can track by sense of smell.
A skinchanger can detect opponents within 30 feet by sense of smell. If the opponent is upwind, the range is 60 feet. If it is downwind, the range is 15 feet. Strong scents, such as smoke or rotting garbage, can be detected at twice the ranges noted above. Overpowering scents, such as skunk musk or troglodyte stench, can be detected at three times these ranges.
The skinchanger detects another creature’s presence but not its specific location. Noting the direction of the scent is a move action. If it moves within 5 feet of the scent’s source, the creature can pinpoint that source.
The skinchanger can follow tracks by smell as if possessing the Track feat, making a Wisdom check to find or follow a track. The typical DC for a fresh trail is 10. The DC increases or decreases depending on how strong the quarry’s odor is, the number of creatures, and the age of the trail. For each hour that the trail is cold, the DC increases by 2. The ability otherwise follows the rules for the Track feat. Creatures tracking by scent ignore the effects of surface conditions and poor visibility.
Creatures with the scent ability can identify familiar odors just as humans do familiar sights.
Water, particularly running water, ruins a trail for air-breathing creatures. Water-breathing creatures that have the scent ability, however, can use it in the water easily.
False, powerful odors can easily mask other scents. The presence of such an odor completely spoils the ability to properly detect or identify creatures, and the base Survival DC to track becomes 20 rather than 10.

Shapechanger (Su): At 12th level, the skinchanger's control over his form has become so great that it cannot be altered for long against his will. If subjected unwillingly to a transformation effect that changes his shape, size, or material composition, the skinchanger can resume his natural form as a swift action. The skinchanger can make an Escape Artist check as a swift action to escape from a grapple, and adds a bonus equal to 1/2 his class levels to his roll. In addition, the skinchanger gains Damage Reduction 5/Silver and the Shapeshifter subtype.

Last edited:

Dagredhel

Explorer
I was looking over some old threads, and noticed that I'd never posted some of the material I typed up for this. Here are some "forms" that were meant as a starting point to fill out the "Morphic Aspect" ability.

Quadrupedal (Form): The skinchanger takes the form of a four-footed creature, generally either a predatory animal or hoofed beast (though more unusual forms are possible.) While in the form, he gains the Stability special quality (+4 bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed or tripped when standing on the ground) and can carry 1-1/2 times as much as normal. The character gains a +4 enhancement bonus to Strength, a base land speed of 40 ft., and his natural armor bonus improves by 4 points. Depending on the specific shape assumed, many attack forms are potentially available; a bite, claws, antlers or horns, hooves, or even a tail slap.

Serpentine (Form): The skinchanger takes the shape of a snake or similar legless creature (eel, worm, etc.) While in this form, he receives a +4 enhancement bonus to Strength and his natural armor bonus improves by 4 points. His base land speed is 20 ft., but he also gains a climb speed and swim speed of the same rate. In addition, he benefits from a racial bonus of +4 to Hide and Move Silently checks and a +8 racial bonus to Balance checks. Available forms of attack are limited to a bite or constriction (treat as a single Slam attack.)

Oversized (Form): The skinchanger may choose a larger, more massive shape when assuming a morphic aspect. The character’s space and reach remain those of a creature of his actual size, but he gains many of the benefits of being one size larger.
Whenever the skinchanger is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as during grapple checks, bull rush attempts, and trip attempts), the skinchanger is treated as one size larger if doing so is advantageous to him. A skinchanger is also considered to be one size larger when determining whether a creature’s special attacks based on size (such as improved grab or swallow whole) can affect him. Unlike the Powerful Build special quality, the benefits of this form do not stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject’s size category.
If the skinchanger can assume a form that can use manufactured weapons, then it can also use weapons designed for a creature one size larger without penalty.
In addition, the enhancement bonus to Strength conferred by the assumed form is increased by 2.

Remove ads