• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ideas for adventure path for the plane of Limbo

Celebrim

Legend
Chaos in pure form is always tainted by evil, just as law in pure form is always tainted by good. It's their natural state, because to them, morality doesn't exists. Law came to be for the betterment of the world of D&D, while chaos can only destroy.

No. Just no.

Or at least, "Yes, but only given the caveat, 'in my campaign'". That is pretty far from a universal truism, and if anything I would say that in most campaign worlds that does not follow. In my campaign for example, chaos and law are completely independent of both good and evil, and both have equal capacity to destroy and create.

As for the Slaad, that's something I consider myself something of an expert on.

Dozen

First Post
Or at least, "Yes, but only given the caveat, 'in my campaign'". That is pretty far from a universal truism, and if anything I would say that in most campaign worlds that does not follow. In my campaign for example, chaos and law are completely independent of both good and evil, and both have equal capacity to destroy and create.

Don't misunderstand, what I spout here are Planescape rules. In any setting where belief has no effect on the planes, my little presentation of slaadi couldn't be more false, while in Planescape, what I described is the only way the world can work at all. That's why I like Planescape, reality is not up for debate or the DM's interpretation.

Chaos and Law are normally completely independent and capable of doing both, as you say. That changes under the Planescape setting because of how Phantasmal Magic works. They aren't 'in my campaign' kind of houserules I'd like to present as core though, don't assume when you have no reason to. I consider myself above that childish practice. Now, I like to pretend that every campaign operates on Planescape's logic, even though that's not necessarily true, for which, in hindsight, I should apologize. I feel uncomfortable around plot holes, is all.

Last edited:

Dozen

First Post
I'm going to have to strongly second the "No. Just no." on this statement unless included with the 'in my campaign' caveat.

Are my newer posts invisible? I admitted it is only true in Planescape! I was wrong! I'm sorry! Please stop bullying meT-T

Last edited:

Celebrim

Legend
Are my newer posts invisible? I admitted it is only true in Planescape! I was wrong! I'm sorry! Please stop bullying meT-T

Don't get so upset. Everyone gets contridicted, corrected, and argued with. That's part of the appeal. As for Planescape, it's not even true in Planescape. It might possibly true in 4e, which has reduced I believe the two axis alignment system to a single axis where Lawful Good is more good than Good and Chaotic Good doesn't exist, but I'm not an expert on such things. In the mean time, this isn't me bullying you. Me bullying you feels much more like a two-by-four to the face. I can see you are new. I'm not going to get out the full arsenal of rhetoric on a new guy.

Celebrim

Legend
Go on...

I'm quite interested in the society of the Slaadi. So far, to me, they sound like a planar version of a stereotypical Orcish horde.

See, there you would be far wrong. Orcish hordes have far more society than the Slaadi. The Slaadi don't have a society at all. The closest they get to society is two inmates in an insane asylum talking past each other in the same room. Or perhaps, two LARPers suffering from severe Aspberger's of an highly thespian inclination busily telling each other about their character while caring absolutely nothing for what the other is saying, each simply under the lizard brained compulsion to spout out whatever is inside them. For a fuller discussion of the social disorder of the Slaad, please follow the link in my signature. Granted, I never finished all of that, but if you have questions about what I didn't finish, I'll be happy to answer.

Celebrim

Legend
So, these are cut and paste from my Limbo adventures in 1e. Thus, the rules are going to require a bit of translation:

If the characters decide to summon a guide with one of the provided scrolls, a Quark arrives in the form of a glittering mote and then springs into more normal humanoid form with a 'pop'. His name is ##, and he introduces himself with a bow, a sumersault, and a Bronx cheer. Assuming the character's provide the vase in Gleyna's study as payment, he gleefully transforms himself into a club and smashes the vase. Any other object of art worth at least 1000 g.p. is also acceptable. He then asks, "So watcha wanna do, folks?" If the characters request that the spirit lead them to the Liche Gate of the Psychos (or the Throne of Ssendam or anywhere in between), he will respond, "Oh, you don't wanna go there. That's a very unfriendly place. Why don't we go to the Field of Forgotten Dreams, the Garden of Sensuality, or the Ossuary of Failed Ambition. Those places are far more interesting than the Liche Gate, and it’s a lot less likely that you will meet a Slaad or twenty that will decide your liver no longer has a reason for existing." If the character's insist, the Quark will shrug and say, "Well it's your life, who am I to tell you how to lose it. Follow me!" Otherwise he is happy to lead them to anywhere the wish...

Barrier 1: The Liche Gate of the Insane: The Liche Gate of the slain is the primary (or perhaps even the sole) means by which petitioning souls pass through into the domains of the Slaad Lords. It is certainly the only known means by which a being of less than divine power may enter their domains against their wishes.
The Liche Gate is set within an crumbling stone wall carved on every inch of its surface with leering faces, grotesque images, and gargoyles. The wall arises suddenly out of the mists of the chaos soup and stretches off in every direction (up, down, left, and right) as far as the eye can see (presumably to infinity). No matter how the wall is approached, the Liche Gate itself is always initially centered in this massive edifice. The Liche Gate appears to be the most massive and grotesque leering face of them all: combining the worst elements of a gibbon, a toad, and a demented clown. The mouth of this great face constitutes the gate. The gate is roughly 100 yards across. The great tongue of the face falls out of the mouth like a stone waterfall, and forms before the gate a broad flat semicircular terrace before curving off and running ribbon like down the side of the wall.
The wall if investigated proves to be honey combed with tunnels, but no matter how long the character's continue their search none but the liche gate pierce the wall. The wall is inhabited by a wide manner of strange creatures that find the stability of the wall useful. Most notable are a large number gargoyles, margoyles, and avian creatures of a chaotic neutral inclination. There are also a great many lost souls, eccentric tribes of fairy creatures, and so forth. If the searching is extensive enough, wandering encounters with creatures of this sort should be expected. And of course, their are also an infinite number of chaos elementals chewing on the wall and honeycombing it with tunnels and chambers which in turn become the abode of other creatures once the chaos elemental has passed. The wall itself seems to be self-repairing and self-modifying to some extent so no damage to the wall lasts forever. No force of less than divine status should be allowed to break an opening in the wall or pass it by any means other than the gate.
The gate into the domain of the Slaad Lords is guarded at all times by 3-18 each of red, blue, and green slaad. They will summon their fellows if there is trouble. Although the Slaad Lords command few mortal worshipers, since their mortal worshipers from every world and every plane ultimately arrive here, in the general vicinity of the gate, there is a 50% chance per turn of encountering a group of 2-20 petitioning souls journeying as pilgrims. Each of these souls should be treated as a fighter of level 1d3+2 with 18/00 str, which cannot be struck save by a magic weapon, and which regenerates 1 h.p. per turn. All are insane to some degree or another, and generally clad as mummers or performers. They bear tokens of the afterlife (copper coins over their eyes, symbols of their chosen deity, and papers which act as writs of passage). Only by bearing these original tokens can a soul pass the gate without being attacked by its guardians. The petitioners will interact with characters that force them to, and make an appropriate reaction roll to determine their response. Petitioners generally due not attack unless themselves first attacked, and will flee if the reaction is negative. If the characters pause to observe the proceedings at the gate, they will see the Slaad inspect approaching petitioners, take from them their coins and writs of passage, eat these, and then thereafter ignore the petitioners. Petitioners then generally pass through the gate.
It is possible to slay petitioners (or at least dispel their forms for a time) and steal from them their tokens of passage, thereby (once proper disguises are assumed) gaining passage through the gate. HOWEVER, such an action immediately gains the permanent enmity of one or more of the powers governing death, the underworld, and the afterlife. Characters who have so offended these powers should suffer some powerful curse until they are propitiated by quests and sacrifices appropriate to the level and wealth of the character. (As a suggestion, characters should automatically fail any saving throw vs. death magic such as finger of death or the like!). In any event, these powers have a 90% chance of showing their immediate displeasure by sending a lesser death (as the deck of many things) to torment each offender (each offender must deal with his own death alone, lest he acquire yet another lesser death for his trouble).
Rather than stealing the tokens of passage, it is also possible to buy them. Such an action does not offend the powers of death, but conning a soul out of its rightful destiny is extremely chaotic and such an action may not be initiated by a lawful character without suffering penalty. A lawful character should act to prevent such deceit unless a very good reason is offered by another player why the action should be allowed to proceed (noting that the fight would be difficult without subterfuge isn't good enough, but suggesting that they are only baring souls from entering what is really the lawful equivalent of hell is). Whether the character's patron deity buys the argument is a matter left up to the discretion of the DM, but it is to be remembered that commercial transactions are generally considered lawful and binding so long as the character makes no false promises regarding the good being sold (commits fraud). Because each of these petitioners is insane, this transaction is much easier to perform than it might be say with souls seeking to enter some domain of the Seven Heavens. It does not matter what the character attempts to trade for the tokens of passage, some soul will be willing to make the exchange. In order to make the trade successfully, a successful fast talking NWP or merchant NWP check at -3 is required (automatically failing if neither proficiency is possessed). Apply a modifier of up to +3 if the character offers a piece of jewelry or something else of obvious value or a toy or plaything (marbles, doll, etc.). It is 25% probable that even if the roll fails, the petitioner will be interested in trading but for the most valuable visible item the character possesses (assuming a worth of not less than 1000 g.p.)!
With the exception of the writ of passage, each of the other tokens could be forged (as by chaos shaping or illusions) but the false writ of passage will be immediately recognized as such, and the guards will attempt to eject the trespassers.
Other than by pretending to be petitioners, characters should not pass this barrier without a stiff fight. The Slaad will always detect mortal characters attempting to sneak through via stealth. The gate cannot be rushed without slaad baring the path (they can both fly and jump), no matter how swift or agile the characters may be. The Slaad guards can be bombarded from a distance, but the slaad are initially spread out across the porch, so that each spell is not likely to effect more than a few and in the mean time the other slaad will swarm out to attack the spell casters and summon aid and respond with spells of their own. Characters that lure Slaad out of the gate will discover that in the mean time, guards have arrived to take the place of the missing ones (making the situation worse). The Slaad general plan of attack is to allow a portion of the Slaad to stop the player's forward progress, and then to surround the characters by leaping behind them and/or summoning their fellows. So long as the total number of remaining slaad is at least twice the number of characters involved in the fight, do not allow any of the characters to pass the gate.
If the fight continues for more than 10 rounds, there is a 50% chance for each of a new red slaad, blue slaad, or green slaad arriving to help each round. This will continue indefinitely, so the characters will not be able to hang around in the vicinity of the gate to recover even if they succeed in winning the fight. If the characters flee the gate and return later after having inflicted severe casualties, the number of guards will have doubled (6-36 of each, green, red, and blue).

Celebrim

Legend
The Judgment Hall: Each power is required to see that the souls in their domain belong there, and the Slaad at least for now abide by the letter of the treaty that governs the powers - though they are not above making a mockery of the usual process.
The Judgment Hall is affixed to the inner side of the great stone wall that provides a barrier between the general chaos without and the more specific chaos within. From the tunnel side, all that can be seen are two large brass doors. From the open side, it appears like a grotesque gothic structure of many spires, similar to a cathedral jutting from the side of the great wall. It has many stained glass windows high above and bearing formless murals. Its interior is dominated by a single large room: the court room.
Unless the characters were foresighted enough to wait for a group of petitioners and successfully join them, when the characters decide to pass through the brazen doors, read the following:

“You arrive into a great crowded hall. It appears to be a court room. In front of you is a low wooden gate leading to a great hall with many close set pews and a wide aisle leading up the middle. Within the pews is a teeming mass of shrieking hairy demented humaniods. The are babbling incessantly, fighting with one another, cursing, pulling each others hair, kicking each other, spitting, throwing things at one another, and in general acting like school children from the nether planes when the teacher is away. This section is segregated from the fore of the room by another low wooden gate. To either side of the aisle is a large wooden table covered with loose sheets of paper. There is an open space beyond this, and then there is a massive stone throne set upon a stone pedestal. At the base of the throne is a pair of steel gates, beyond which you can see a path winding off into the distance. Above the gate, seated on the throne is a hulking misshapen monstrosity of a Slaad, not less than 12’ tall and at least as fat. It’s scales are mottled with every known color, and some which were unknown to you. It is dressed, comically, as a judge. In one massive clawed hand it carries a huge wooden mallet, which is apparently serving as a gavel. To either side of the judge are his bailiffs - two gray colored Slaad carrying huge gleaming and ever so indubitably razor sharp Halberds. In front of the throne stand a group of shabbily dressed beings of various sorts, flanked by two of the hairy demented creatures - these wearing red robes and wigs.
You appear to have arrived just as a trial was concluding. The judge bangs his gavel sharply, and speaks - or rather screams - with his tongue lolling out of his mouth and spittle flying across the court, “GUILTY!!! GUILTY!!! GUILTY AS THWARGED!!! NOW THSET THEM FWEE, AND EXECUTE THE PROSECUTOR!!!” If possible, the audience becomes even more animated at this announcement and breaks into applause. One of the red robed creatures leaps and shrieks, losing his wig in the process, but before he can get far, ‘Shwick’ goes the Halberd as quick as lightning and cleaves him in two. The gates below the throne open and the band of beings dances through, accompanied by the other red robed creature. The gates quickly close behind them.
“NOW, BWING IN THE NEXT CASES.”, screams the judge while still banging the gavel.
Just then you notice alcoves to either side of you. Each contains a pair of red slaad (4 in all), and a large group of the strange hairy creatures - similarly dressed in red and wearing powered wigs. Each also carries an overstuffed attach brimming with papers. One of the alcoves is marked, “Prosecutors”, and the other is marked “Defendants”. On your left, one of the little red robed men opens a wooden gate and trots out of the section marked “Prosecutors”. He looks you up and down, and then breaks into a big smile. On your right, a second little red robed man opens a wooden gate and trots out of the section marked “Defendants”. He takes one look at you and breaks into a terrible sweat. He starts quivering and rubbing his collar.
Just then, two of the Red Slaad appear behind you and growl, “All right, now. Move up. Move along. Up front with ya, to see ‘is ‘onor right away.”

Assuming the characters don’t protest, they are brought before the judge. If the characters do protest, nothing but physical violence deters the slaad from their purpose. At which point, the judge and his bailiffs attack.

“WHAT SAY YE, HOW DO YOU PLEAD!!”, roars the judge.

If the character’s say, “Guilty by reason of insanity.” The judge becomes quite angry. “WHAT’S THAT?”, he screams, “_YOU_ THINK YOU’RE INSANE? YOU TAKE ME FOR A FOOL? WE CAN’T HAVE ANY THAT THINKS THEY’RE INSANE HERE! BALIFF EXECUTE THESE SMART ALECKS.” At which point combat ensues.
Otherwise, no matter how the characters respond, the judge and the crowd roar with laughter, “OH, WELL SEE ABOUT THAT, WE WILL. PROSECUTOR?”

The prosecutor responds, “These vile perpetrators have been known at times to willfully (the crowd gasps) and with forethought (the crowd gasps) butter their bread in the morning! (the crowd gasps in horror).
The judge shakes his head wearily, “ALL TOO COMMON THESE DAYS I’M AFRAID!!! DEFENSE!!!”
The attorney is still shaking and shedding large drops of sweat over a wide radius. He nervously says, “I don’t believe my c-c-clients are f-f-fit to stand t-t-trial.” The crowd laughs, and the judge roars, “I’LL BE THE JUDGE OF THAT!!!” The defense hurriedly continues, “<Relate the dumbest thing that the character’s have ever done in brief.>” When the defense finishes, the prosecutor smiles and says, “The prosecution rests!”
The judge then turns to the party members, “WELL, I’M READY TO GIVE MY VERDICT, DO YOU HAVE ANYTHING TO SAY IN YOUR OWN DEFENCE?”

(DM NOTE: If it has not become obvious, the players better do some serious thinking before answering but don’t give them more than a half a minute or so, the judge is impatient).

If the characters attempt to bribe the judge, the judge laughs. “Ahh. WELLL. I see there has been some mistake.” He points over to the wall were one of the demonic leering faces becomes animated, opens its mouth wide, and expands to create a night black door in the wall. The air in the court is sucked fiercely into the door, and the sounds of tormented screams and howling fills the court. “YOUR IN THE WRONG COURT STUPID! NOW IF YOU WOULD JUST STEP THROUGH THERE, I’M SURE THEY’D BE HAPPY TO SEE YOU!” Character’s that step through find themselves bound in chains in the Abyss, and are of course to be consigned to oblivion. If the character refuses to step through, and instead acts in some other fashion, the judge responds in accordance with that action. If characters continue to insist on trying to bribe the judge, the judge arranges to have the red slaad throw the characters through the gate.

Otherwise, If the characters answer with anything but complete and utter nonsense, they are in for a very ‘sharp’ fight. The judge screams, “CASE DISMISSED ON GROUNDS OF INSUFFICIENT EVIDENCE!!!! NOW KILL THEM!!!” All Slaad attack (including the judge).

But, should a character respond in a completely original, ridiculous, nonsensical or inappropriate fashion, the judge roars with approval, “GUILTY!!! GUILTY!!! GUILTY AS THWARGED!!! NOW THSET THEM FWEE, AND EXECUTE THE PROSECUTOR!!!” Each character should respond in his own manner, and each character must respond before that character may pass through the gates.

The judge is Praxlemor the Lord of Injustice, a lesser Slaad Lord. He has 101 h.p, and AC: 0. A +1 or better magic item is required to hit Praklemor, and he is immune to poisons, disease, charm/enchantments, death magic, and disintegration. He takes half damage from fire, acid, and electricity attacks. He regenerates 2 h.p. per round. He fights as a 16 HD monster, making two attacks per round: 1 attack with his gavel for 3d6+7 damage (+3 to hit) and one claw attack for 3d6 damage. If the claw hit succeeds, he snatches up his opponent (treat as bound by a whip) and bites him automatically on all succeeding rounds for 3d10 damage. He can only attack targets within 10’, and will not leave his throne. If engaged at a distance he hurls anvils (one per round) at any target in the chamber, doing 3d30 damage on a successful strike. He also has a number of spell powers usable one per round at will in addition to other actions. These are: command, sanctuary, hold person/monster, blindness, bestow curse, dispel magic, telekinesis (3000 g.p. weight), warp wood (once per day), suggestion, major creation, advanced illusion, summon 1d4 red slaad (once per turn). Praxlemor’s throne provides him a certain measure of protection from attacks. Because it is raised above the surrounding area, S sized creatures may not attack him with less than a pole arm equivalent weapon (which most cannot use), and M sized creatures attack at -3 to hit unless they have a pole arm as well. Furthermore, while on the throne Praxlemor is protected continually as by a minor globe of invulnerability.

Celebrim

Legend
The Maze:

At this point the path diverges in to two directions wind and roll and turn off into the distance. A little ways further down each, the path diverge again, and apparently diverge again not much further on, and so on into the distance.

All paths are the same, and all lead everywhere and nowhere. Anyone that enters the maze with the intention of getting somewhere becomes hopelessly lost and soon finds it impossible to find their way back. The maze is a test of randomness. The only path through the maze is a random one and all random paths automatically lead to whatever destination the characters needs to go to. It is to be noted that no rational being is capable of generating a truly random path on his own. Anyone that chooses which way to go never gets anywhere. The true function of the 'Map of the Deranged Way' is to be a convenient random number generator. Every time it is consulted, it will show a different (randomly chosen) path through the maze. Characters that lose the map (or don't have it) can traverse the maze simply by flipping a coin or rolling a dice at any intersection. Simply having a guide is not enough, because, "Hey, I'm not the one that wants to get to the City of the Insane, you decide where not to go." Insisting that the guide choose results in navigating the maze but coming out at some point far from the destination (presumably in the domain of some other Slaad lord). It is of course possible to navigate the maze in reverse, using the same lack of logic.
The maze normally takes 18 turns to successfully navigate from the time the character's begin using a random number generator. During this time, treat passage in the maze the same as passage through the chaos soup. Random encounters in the maze are particularly common - 20% chance per turn.
When the maze is exited, the characters find a long sloping path leading down to a brick wall that apparently extends an infinite distance to the left and right. Beyond the wall they can see a rust colored plain.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads