Ideas for DC Revamp

So this whole business with Gunn, Cavill and what-not got me thinking on what I would do if I were in Gunn's position...here goes

Basic Direction: They run a 4-part movie series of superhero team-ups to quickly build to the JL. They would be connected, even if loosely at first.

So for instance, the first movie would be a Superman & Batman feature.

Story Idea- Lois is doing a massive feature on Bruce Wayne given his project for upgrading Gotham's railway or [insert other infrastructure system]. In her time in Gotham, she gets kidnapped by the Joker who leaves his calling card. Bruce finds it but hides it from the police to continue the investigation alone as Batman in typical Dark Knight fashion. Clark arrives in Gotham to help the police, quickly finds out they have no clues or direction, leaving a frustrated Clark to hunt out on his own. He begins tracking Bruce hoping to uncover a clue as to who took Lois and, in the process, he discovers Bruce is Batman. Supes forces himself into Batman's investigation much to Batman's dislike as he prefers to work alone. They follow Batman's lead to Arkham Asylum, where the Joker had recently escaped from and they run through some of Batman's Rogues Gallery providing some comedic elements i.e. Supes saying something along the lines of "Are all your villains this crazy?"

I'm imagining Lois would be played by panicked-quirky Teri Hatcher-type individual, similar to how she was portrayed in the 90's series and Teri Hatcher's Susan character in Desperate Housewives. Joker kidnapped Lois to mess with Bruce's PR feature and to reveal to Lois (a nationally known investigative reporter) that Bruce is Batman, since Joker knows the person behind the mask. The Joker also feels since she's doing a feature on Bruce, she can't faithfully tell Bruce's story without talking about his life as Batman. He knows it would be far more credible if a reputable reporter such as Lois revealed the truth. Perfect opportunity.

The investigation to rescue Lois would reflect the superheroes' differing styles and powers in a comedic but complimentary way - and particularly highlight on why Batman is the world's greatest detective. It would also cement a friendship between the 2 (3 if you count Lois). Batman's Rogues Gallery at Arkham would reflect Batman's past without having to go through the process of making a series of movies.

Next movie
Next team up would feature Arthur Curry and Diana. It would make sense to pair these two given there are so many commonalities between them.

Next next movie
Green Lantern and Flash. With GL they would not delve into the lore since there is so much, but they would instead feature it in the background for the hardcore fans. That is how you do GL. There is too much mythos to unpack and expect the buy-in and emotional investment from casuals.

Final movie in the Chapter
An otherworldly threat would bring them all together with J'onn J'onzz making his appearance where it would be revealed he would know more about the threat from his time lived on Mars. J'onzz being the final piece to the JL puzzle.

4 movies, 7 superhero characters including a JL movie with no origin stories necessary.
And we get to keep Henry Cavill, Gal Gadot and possibly Ben Affleck (I didn't have an issue with him in BvsSDoJ, I never watched the movies that came thereafter)

Yay or Nay? Submit your own rough ideas

Last edited:

Ryujin

Legend
It might be better if they put the usual suspects on the back burner for a while and went with something else, a little less well known, in the same manner as "Guardians of the Galaxy." Maybe try Justice League Dark? Batman could be the entry point, but then bring on John Constantine, Zatanna, Swamp Thing, Etrigan..... Maybe throw in an oddball like The Creeper? Doctor Fate? Guide and narrate via The Phantom Stranger?

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
I just finished Black Adam. The whole time I'm wanting to know where Batman and Superman were. Hawkman didn't have the leader vibe to me. Cyclone and Atom Smasher seemed irrelevant. Doctor Fate seemed like the only one worth the screen time. Batman isn't normally a team player but he seems to be able to get people to work together. Maybe Justice League Dark would have been a better choice. Sarah Shahi could still be there as Zatanna or something. Superman was wasted in the mid credits. I don't want to shelve Batman and Superman. I'm too much of a fan.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
In another thread it was suggested they do a live action version of one of the animated movies. I liked that idea a lot. Some of the voice actors could even do the live roles. Matt Ryan already has with Constantine. Matt Bomer looks like the perfect idea for Superman. He might have to bulk up a bit. Jason O'mara would be great as Batman in person as well as voice. Nathan Fillion must be Green Lantern. After the crime that was The Suicide Squad and his part, he needs another shot.

Ryujin

Legend
In another thread it was suggested they do a live action version of one of the animated movies. I liked that idea a lot. Some of the voice actors could even do the live roles. Matt Ryan already has with Constantine. Matt Bomer looks like the perfect idea for Superman. He might have to bulk up a bit. Jason O'mara would be great as Batman in person as well as voice. Nathan Fillion must be Green Lantern. After the crime that was The Suicide Squad and his part, he needs another shot.
Just a slight difference from the idea that I've floated a few times: Just give the DCU to the animated guys to run.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Metropolis Special Crimes Unit - Police Procedural before Clark moves to town

or Gotham Academy - High School shenanigans + Arkham Supervillains

Shazam worked and that gives us another tie in to high school life

maybe keep Justice Society around too

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
I just started watching Young Justice. Robin, Speedy, Aqualad, Superboy, etc. Young heroes could be a direction to look at like the Gotham Academy idea above.

René Auberjonois had a small role. I miss him.😥 Such a distinctive voice.

Remove ads