D&D 5E Ideas for STR-based rogue archetype

God

Adventurer
But it's all cool. I accept your apology, which I assume is forthcoming.

For what exactly? Pointing out that you can't, as you implied, trigger sneak attack on the bonus attacks from GWM or Polearm Master (which can't be used on the same turn, anyway)? Or do you actually think it's overpowered that a high-level rogue with a specific set of circumstances and three feats (two if they use a quarterstaff or multiclass, delaying acquisition and sneak attak progression) could trigger sneak attack twice a round, forgoing any other reactions? Not to mention, the perceived problem only exists if you use an optional rule (feats).

Anyway, have fun waiting. I'm gonna be over here with all the dwarf rogues sneak attacking with their battleaxes and not breaking the game.

Rune

Once A Fool
For what exactly? Pointing out that you can't, as you implied, trigger sneak attack on the bonus attacks from GWM or Polearm Master (which can't be used on the same turn, anyway)?

Why, no. For the rude way you chose to state that I was speaking in ignorance. No reason to apologize for the inaccuracy of the claim, of course--that's just delicious irony. Because, as I have already said, I didn't mention bonus attacks at all. Polearm Master with sneak attack could reliably bump an already ridiculously high DPR by half--or even nearly double--with its off-turn reaction attack. Throw in Sentinel and the opponent has no good options.

Or do you actually think it's overpowered that a high-level rogue with a specific set of circumstances and three feats (two if they use a quarterstaff or multiclass, delaying acquisition and sneak attak progression) could trigger sneak attack twice a round, forgoing any other reactions? Not to mention, the perceived problem only exists if you use an optional rule (feats).

No. I'm saying that adding two instances of sneak attack per round to the already borderline overpowered great weapon builds (fighters, especially, with their plentiful ASIs) would jump so far over the line that no optimized great weapon build would ever lack levels in rogue. Those builds are ALREADY taking those feats. Adding two instances of sneak attack is just gravy.

You are correct about one thing, though. In a game without feats, you'd probably be okay. But, then again, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the kind of hard-core optimizer who would be inclined to break the game with the gift of being able to sneak attack with great weapons probably is playing with feats.

guachi

Hero
For what exactly? Pointing out that you can't, as you implied, trigger sneak attack on the bonus attacks from GWM or Polearm Master (which can't be used on the same turn, anyway)? Or do you actually think it's overpowered that a high-level rogue with a specific set of circumstances and three feats (two if they use a quarterstaff or multiclass, delaying acquisition and sneak attak progression) could trigger sneak attack twice a round, forgoing any other reactions? Not to mention, the perceived problem only exists if you use an optional rule (feats).

Anyway, have fun waiting. I'm gonna be over here with all the dwarf rogues sneak attacking with their battleaxes and not breaking the game.

Your reading comprehension is poor. The sneak attack triggered by Polearm Mastery was for having an opponent move into range and trigger an OA. It was even stated in the part you quoted when you attacked the first time.

I assume your apology is forthcoming.

God

Adventurer
I assume your apology is forthcoming.

Lots of poor assumptions being made tonight. I understand how the feat works. I fail to see how gaining one extra sneak attack a round on a reaction ends the game, considering a) at low levels sneak attack damage is relatively trivial, even if a character grabs Polearm Master early; b) at high levels there's an opportunity cost - every feat is a missed opportunity to boost an ability score and every 1d6 of sneak attack is one or two levels of rogue that could have been spent on some other class, like this mythical, sneak attacking fighter you keep mentioning. If a fighter wants to dip at least three levels of rogue (recall, if you can, that we're talking about potential archetype abilities) and delay or miss out on extra attacks and other useful abilities just to (situationally) get a few extra d6 of damage, I say go for it. He gets precious little else of use dipping rogue. The straight-class rogue gets the most damage out of the deal, but she's burning feats to do it and putting herself in melee, where she's less than optimally-equipped (again, the context of the discussion was a Strength-based rogue archetype).

So, you know, say a few Hail Marys and you're forgiven. Or keep trolling, whatever floats your boat.

Rune

Once A Fool
Lots of poor assumptions being made tonight. I understand how the feat works. I fail to see how gaining one extra sneak attack a round on a reaction ends the game, considering a) at low levels sneak attack damage is relatively trivial, even if a character grabs Polearm Master early; b) at high levels there's an opportunity cost - every feat is a missed opportunity to boost an ability score and every 1d6 of sneak attack is one or two levels of rogue that could have been spent on some other class, like this mythical, sneak attacking fighter you keep mentioning. If a fighter wants to dip at least three levels of rogue (recall, if you can, that we're talking about potential archetype abilities) and delay or miss out on extra attacks and other useful abilities just to (situationally) get a few extra d6 of damage, I say go for it. He gets precious little else of use dipping rogue. The straight-class rogue gets the most damage out of the deal, but she's burning feats to do it and putting herself in melee, where she's less than optimally-equipped (again, the context of the discussion was a Strength-based rogue archetype).

So, you know, say a few Hail Marys and you're forgiven. Or keep trolling, whatever floats your boat.

The extra 10d6 damage that a Fighter 11/Rogue 9 can get out of two sneak attacks is more than a Fighter 20 with Great Weapon Master and Polearm Master can get out of its fourth attack (which is the trade-off we're talking about, here; fighter levels 11-19 stay pretty much the same damage-wise). The combo of Great Weapons (especially polearms) + feats + sneak attacks is clearly very, very broken. The designers clearly knew what they were doing when they didn't allow it. Allow it in your own games at your peril.

Mephista

Adventurer
maybe something like the Champion's Remarkable Athlete for a ribbon.
That's not a ribbon. Ribbon abilities are the equivalent to Prestidigitation and Thaumaturgy, minor effects that add flavor with no mechanical benefit. The entire point of Remarkable Athlete is to give a mechanical benefit.

aramis erak

Legend

You seem to need to reread the definitions of Round and Turn. PHB 189, PBR 0.2 p 69.
The ability is once per TURN.
There are multiple TURNS per ROUND.

You DO get to use Sneak Attack on someone else's TURN, so if the guy you just whacked on your turn for d8+3d6 steps away, your OA happens ON HIS TURN, and thus you get to whack him with another d8+3d6 if the OA hits.

Unwise

Adventurer
I have actually played a Str based rogue recently, if briefly. It was a pirate campaign and he is a professional kidnapper.

Ask the DM if you can silence people when you grab them from stealth. If so, you become an expert at taking out sentries. You grab them to keep them quiet, then using cunning action you move them 30' back to your group who pound them into the ground before they can react.

In one encounter, I grabbed the target from hiding. Moved 30' with him during the surprise round, including jumping out a window. Then won initiative and moved him another 30' down an ally and into an abandoned building. It was the cleanest abduction ever.

My DM allowed me to use a Garrotte as a weapon from stealth, it only did 1 damage, but allows you to grab the target and do your sneak attack, as well as silence them. This at least allowed me to make use of the assassin class feature which would otherwise be wasted on a guy specializing in grabs.

If the DM allows you to use sneak attack with improvises weapons via Tavern Brawler, then things get fun. After I got that feat I started using a barbed meathook as my abduction weapon of choice. Stab them in the back with that, if it kills them from the assassin crit, oops/yay, if not, spend the bonus action to grapple. Them cunning action to move them with you around the corner/into a room/out a window.

The main downfall of the character was the fact his AC was so terrible. The DM suggested allowing Str rogues to use medium armor and ignore the disadvantage to stealth. That works out pretty well. Our groups don't care much for weapon restrictions, if it presents no mechanical advantage, you can sneak attack with most things.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
You DO get to use Sneak Attack on someone else's TURN, so if the guy you just whacked on your turn for d8+3d6 steps away, your OA happens ON HIS TURN, and thus you get to whack him with another d8+3d6 if the OA hits.

Well, if the thread is going to be hijacked because of feats:

OAs happen even without Polearm Master. OAs are Reactions, you get one Reaction per Round (they refresh on your personal turn), which competes with the Rogue's Uncanny Dodge, and other classes powers like Commander's Strike. The "Butt-end strike" is a bonus action, which does 1d4+stat damage. It butts heads with both Cunning Action and the lower entry cost of just using two short swords. And as shown in the Dual Wielding threads, a Rogue is better served using Cunning Action to secure advantage than they are by attacking with a bonus action.

Great Weapon Master is just bad for Rogues, -5/+10 is totally not worth it for someone with one attack per round and who does the majority of their damage from bonus dice. Even the extra attack eats a Bonus Action, putting it at odds with the far more reliable Cunning Action and even the "Butt-end strike".
It's really close to being a trap option. A stat bump into Con or even Dex will be better for the Rogue in the long run.

In short: Action Scarcity hits the Rogue hard, add that to the fact that the majority of their damage comes from Sneak Attack, and this feat chain just doesn't have anywhere near the appeal that it would for a Fighter. Who needs to find ways to burn actions and has multiple attacks as the default.

Remove ads