• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Identical "teleport in here" rooms -- ?

Harmon

First Post
Not sure that I would allow that.

I think if my Player suggested such a thing I would argue that- Teleporting to a certain location is indeed that certain location. The position in the dimension is different and thus different in the visual (visible spectrum) area of the dimension. When a wiz/sorc studies a location his subconsious mind is locking onto the way the energy flows (non visible spectrum & mana flow and all that) through that area, and that is what he is tp to, not the actual visible location.

Course this might actually be incorrect, maybe the wiz/sorc actually uses visible cues <shrug> I just know that I would not allow it. Course the PC could just try to tp to "Dave's teleport room," and actually make it (I will allow never seen location teleports :] )

BSF

Explorer
Harmon, I think the spell description supports visual cues.

Teleport Description from SRD said:
Similar Area: You wind up in an area that’s visually or thematically similar to the target area.
Generally, you appear in the closest similar place within range. If no such area exists within the spell’s range, the spell simply fails instead.

Nareau

Explorer
I also think having visual cues be a part of it makes it more interesting. That way, you can play with teleport traps (make an identical room nearby at the bottom of the lake), infiltration (if you can smuggle the rune into the king's treaure room, you can teleport in there), etc. Of course, not everyone wants to deal with the number of headaches that might create...but I think it could be a lot of fun!

Spider

Len

Prodigal Member
BardStephenFox said:
Harmon, I think the spell description supports visual cues.
Unfortunately, the part you quoted is what happens if you accidentally end up in the wrong location. Before that (under "Familiarity"), it says that the location you want to get to has to be somewhere you have seen or visited.

Harmon

First Post
Ya, Bard I thought of that.

The wiz/sorc might misremeber some detail, some non visual clue and thus the missed location. That is why he missed the tp.

Something I thought of a moment ago is that it might be interesting and I might actually allow this- identical rooms thing. Ya, you tp to the room, but which one? Each room is identical by visual cues. Your intent was to tp to Gradsul, but you ended up in the room in Greyhawk- opps, even though the GM rolled a 67 on on the target. After the roll he went with a 50% to hit the right room <shrug>. Just a thought.

In my first post I stated that I would not allow- but I am thinking I might, right now- reason, I thought a little bit more about it.

I have a wizard that is a member of the Arcane Order, the Order has two charter houses- one in Gradsul and the other in Greyhawk, both have Teleport rooms. These rooms allow members to tp into a safe location, they also count as very familar.

haiiro

First Post
Len said:
I don't think it works with the RAW because if you haven't ever seen or visited the actual place it doesn't fall into any of the categories "Very familiar", "Studied carefully", "Seen casually" or "Viewed once".

Where I was coming at it from was that because the room would look identical -- revised to "identical with one critical, predictable difference" -- it would be "very familiar."

After reading today's responses, I still don't know for sure where I stand on this one!

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
haiiro said:
Where I was coming at it from was that because the room would look identical -- revised to "identical with one critical, predictable difference" -- it would be "very familiar."

After reading today's responses, I still don't know for sure where I stand on this one!
It sounds plausible and cool, so do it.

Jack Simth

First Post
My take? "Studied Carefully" and "Viewed Once" both include magical means of viewing the location as examples; Teleport, Greater permits going to somewhere for which you have "at least a reliable description". Rooms that are identical except for some standardized symbol on the wall? Sure... sort of. Make an Int Roll; 20+ gets you an equal rating to the original room that you actually studied; 17-19 gets you one familiarity class down; 14-16 two down; 11-13 three down, 10 or less, four down (note that in all reduced cases, the minimum is "False Destination" ... but "Similar Area" will get you to such a teleport room, if one is in range). If you have "studied carefully" one of the rooms, and know the standard symbol for where you want to go (you have it in a book of symbols, say), you have an INT mod of +3, and you roll 15, you are Teleporting as though you have "Seen Casually" the room in question. If you have an Int Mod of -2, have viewed such a room once, and roll at all (20 gets you 18, one down), you use "False Destination"

Gez

First Post
iwatt said:
So kind of like the rooms used byt the Great Ones in Raymon E. Feist's Magician ;)

An author I have never read. So obviously, he copied my idea. I shall sue him at once, bye! :p

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads