• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Identify Spell too straight forward?

Chronikoce

First Post
I've actually only played 3.5/PF games but I recently started reading the AD&D 2E rules and came across the spell identify. I have to say I really like how it can still provide the information that a player desires but scales with level to be more successful.

The Identify spell in NEXT atm currently just gives all the information and related Lore to the caster as a level 1 spell. This seem way to easy. In some cases I am forced to hand out what a magic item does (players have zero interest in roleplaying the figuring out what a magic item does) but I think that doing so should still be a DM decision rather than how the rules actually work.

Seems to spoil a great deal of the mystery of the party finding a rare magic item if all they have to do is burn a 1st level spell. That or all really cool magic items resist the attempts to ID them (This seems like it would get old really fast).

What do you all think?

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
I don't think Identify should even be a spell. IMO, it was always just an annoying spell tax for figuring out what your magic items do. I think that characters should be able to make Knowledge checks to identify items - no spell required. I feel the same way about Read Magic.

Li Shenron

Legend
I've been convinced since a long time that identifying magic items is an issue of its own in the game, that cannot be reduced to having one default spell only.

One Identify spell in the whole game is going to satisfy maybe 20% of the gamers and dissatisfy the rest, whatever you put in the spell.

The only sensible way to deal with the problem, would be to put a 1-2 pages chapter or paragraph in the DMG discussing the issue, and then give only a TEMPLATE Identify spell, where the DM can set some parameters such as how many powers of each item you identify with one casting, how many items at once, what % of success (if not automatic), what % of misreading (if you want the option), how long does it take to cast, and if there is any limit on what items it works on depending on caster level.

With the TEMPLATE spell and good DMG guidelines, then each DM should make her Identify spell that suits all expectations and look&feel of the campaign, also depending on whether it is low/high-magic and how common magic items are.

Chronikoce

First Post
[MENTION=1465]Li Shenron[/MENTION] I think that would be the best idea. Every group has different preferences and that would help a lot. I just hope whatever version they do use is not the current format. It is easier to add automatically ID items into the rules than it is to pair back a spell (since pairing back character powers can lead to resentful players).
[MENTION=17077]Falling Icicle[/MENTION] I would be OK with knowledge checks in some cases but for really powerful items or for those that have command words that are hidden this would be a bit too much of a stretch. Character just happens to be able to know the command word to the obscure item locked away in a tomb for 1000's of years? For stuff like "Hey I think this is a +1 sword!" I have no problem with that being knowledge based.

delericho

Legend
In principle, I want all my magic items to be unique, with full stories behind them, lots of interesting lore and, potentially, several different powers that the PCs can access through careful, painstaking study, consulting sages, and so forth. In principle, I hate identify, and similar shortcuts.

In practice, I find that actually doing most of that stuff is fairly tedious and detracts more from the game than is gained. In practice, having identify available is great.

Fortunately, it's very easy to cover both bases at once - publish the game with the easy identify, note that the DM may well want to make changes (probably not even in the spell description), and leave it at that. DMs who want "mysterious magic", then, have an easy fix available - drop identify from the game. (And if WotC were to publish an equivalent of the 2nd Edition "Spells & Powers" book with several modules, including greater support for "mysterious magic", that would be even better.)

sheadunne

Explorer
I would prefer to make it a trained use of a knowledge skill, the skill to vary by type of item.

This is my preference and the easiest way to scale information based on item power, age or DM discretion.

+1 sword that was made yesterday. DC 10
Sword of the Gods crafted a million years ago. DC 100

Easy enough.

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
In principle, I want all my magic items to be unique, with full stories behind them, lots of interesting lore and, potentially, several different powers that the PCs can access through careful, painstaking study, consulting sages, and so forth. In principle, I hate identify, and similar shortcuts.

In practice, I find that actually doing most of that stuff is fairly tedious and detracts more from the game than is gained. In practice, having identify available is great.

Fortunately, it's very easy to cover both bases at once - publish the game with the easy identify, note that the DM may well want to make changes (probably not even in the spell description), and leave it at that. DMs who want "mysterious magic", then, have an easy fix available - drop identify from the game. (And if WotC were to publish an equivalent of the 2nd Edition "Spells & Powers" book with several modules, including greater support for "mysterious magic", that would be even better.)
Truer words... ;) Just so long as they don't go back to the 1E version! {Shudder!}

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
[MENTION=17077]Falling Icicle[/MENTION] I would be OK with knowledge checks in some cases but for really powerful items or for those that have command words that are hidden this would be a bit too much of a stretch. Character just happens to be able to know the command word to the obscure item locked away in a tomb for 1000's of years? For stuff like "Hey I think this is a +1 sword!" I have no problem with that being knowledge based.

The DM can always decide that a particular item can't be identified with a knowledge check.

Starfox

Hero

You must spread some Experience Points around before giving it to delericho again.

Remove ads