If a kaiju really emerged

Janx

Hero
Have to say this but if you can kill a kaiju with weapons of the day then you can kill Cthulhu with them and for some reason this game of "What If" makes me sad now. :.-(

cthulu has non-euclidean geometry and reality warping powers. When the warhead reaches cthulu's reality, it's already lost mass and chemical composition has morphed such that it can't explode. It's like shooting daisies at him instead of daisy cutters.

Hopefully that will cheer you back up.

cthulu has non-euclidean geometry and reality warping powers. When the warhead reaches cthulu's reality, it's already lost mass and chemical composition has morphed such that it can't explode. It's like shooting daisies at him instead of daisy cutters.

Hopefully that will cheer you back up.

Didn't Cthulhu take notable damage from crashing with a boat? He just regenerates the damage ...

It depends on whether you're assuming the traditional kaiju immunity to all conventional weapons.

According to the opening bit of Pacific Rim, those CAN be killed with immense effort and tremendous quantities of conventional weapons, which is actually better than usual - Japanese kaiju are usually just flatly immune to anything except other kaiju, kaiju-scale mecha and stuff, or one-shot prototype superweapons. And even then they usually don't actually die, just go dormant for a couple of years (with occasional exceptions, mostly in the older movies, like the original Godzilla and the Oxygen Destroyer ... and even that spawned a later kaiju).

In some movies Godzilla can "feed off" radiation, so even nukes may not be entirely reliable.

---

I agree kaiju require materials stronger than conventional bone, cartilage and muscle, but the numbers I've seen suggest that you don't need supermaterials on the carbon-nanotube-for-space-elevators scale. The bigger problems are:

1) ground support on anything but hard rock - this has been one of the big problems of "super tank" attempts IIRC
2) heat dispersal
3) food sources

How thick are Godzilla's legs? Showa Godzilla is 50 meters tall, which probably makes him about 2500-3000 metric tons, given that he's built much like a human but heavier (bulkier, plus tail) - a 1.8 meter, 90kg human scaled up to that size would be about 2000 metric tons. If his legs at the narrowest part are ... say 3 meters thick, and circular, that means an area of about 7 square meters. Thus, Godzilla's weight of about 25 megaNewtons is distributed over 14 square meters (at the narrowest point) = 1.78 megapascals. That's only the standing force, multiply by maybe 2-3 for walking, and 2-3 more for safety factor ... say 10 MPa total. Not a materials scientist, how excessive is that?

Heisei Godzilla is 100 meters tall. That makes him eight times the mass = 20,000 - 24,000 metric tons, with legs... maybe 6 meters thick, with a total standing area of 56.5 square meters. 200 megaNewtons over 56.5 square meters = 3.54 megapascals, so allowing for walking and safety factor ... about 20 MPa.

The interesting thing is, since the leg area scales up as the square while mass scales up as the cube, the pressure put on the legs increases only linearly (less, if you make your legs more-than-proportionally thicker). That's why I don't think kaiju really need space elevator materials.

(Anguirus is the size of Showa Godzilla and a quadruped. He might actually be workable with conventional biological materials, assuming extreme use of lightening via air sacs and stuff, and very thick legs.)

Stormonu

Legend
not only just standing up, consider the force it would take to pump blood through arteries in the body, especially up the legs to the brain.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I agree kaiju require materials stronger than conventional bone, cartilage and muscle, but the numbers I've seen suggest that you don't need supermaterials on the carbon-nanotube-for-space-elevators scale. The bigger problems are:

1) ground support on anything but hard rock - this has been one of the big problems of "super tank" attempts IIRC

Yup- see Nazi Germany's Maus, for instance: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panzer_VIII_Maus

Jhaelen

First Post
not only just standing up, consider the force it would take to pump blood through arteries in the body, especially up the legs to the brain.
Well, how do trees manage to get water up to their crown? Trees can be over 100 metres high. Couldn't a similar mechanism work for pumping blood?

Since we're talking about 'what if' here, I'd also like to posit a Kaiju's brain could be located elsewhere in the body. Or it could have a secondary brain controlling locomotion (which was for a long time a prevalent theory for sauropods).

tomBitonti

Adventurer
Well, how do trees manage to get water up to their crown? Trees can be over 100 metres high. Couldn't a similar mechanism work for pumping blood?

Since we're talking about 'what if' here, I'd also like to posit a Kaiju's brain could be located elsewhere in the body. Or it could have a secondary brain controlling locomotion (which was for a long time a prevalent theory for sauropods).

Well, blood would have to get to the creature's head, even if the brain wasn't there.

When I was in middle school, sap was described to move by osmosis. However, the detailed mechanism is still (apparently, and surprisingly) not well understood.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plant_sap

http://www.uc3m.es/portal/page/portal/actualidad_cientifica/noticias/sap_movement

But, we are able to pump water up tall buildings. I imagine a Kaiju could do the same with lots of heart-like pumps and flow reversal stops.

Thx!

TomB

weem

First Post
The Bozomech?

weem- where are you?

Huh? Wait, what?

Sorry, no time so... let's see... Bozo Mech... found this for you...

clown_2.jpg

...is that right?

;)

Remove ads