• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

If DMing was a job, how much should you get paid?

• Minimum wage - $9.00/hour

Votes: 34 13.2%
  • $10.00/ hour

Votes: 24 9.3%
  • $11.00/ hour

Votes: 9 3.5%
  • $12.00/ hour - $15.00

Votes: 49 19.0%
  • $16.00/ hour - $20.00

Votes: 26 10.1%
  • $21.00/ hour-$25.00

Votes: 28 10.9%
  • $26.00/ hour -$30.00

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • $31.00/ hour-$35.00

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • $36.00/ hour-$40.00

Votes: 28 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 37 14.3%

• Poll closed .

MoogleEmpMog

First Post
I voted $12-$15/hour, but that makes four assumptions.

One, I'm running the game (and living in) the United States. Rates in other countries would vary by cost of living.

Two, that I'm only being paid for the time I'm actually running the game. Prep time is unpaid. If prep time is paid (and fairly clocked somehow), I could see going as low as $10.00/hour or perhaps closer to minimum wage.

Three, there is a measure of competition from other professional GMs. So, skipping prep entirely (unless you're a heck of a on-the-fly GM) is not just unprofessional, it puts you out of work. I personally wouldn't skimp on prep, but as a general rule this has to be stated.

Four, I am running the game with above-average skill and with a professional attitude. That means, I do not skip pre-scheduled sessions except in true emergencies (life in immediate danger, completely incapacitated and unable to reach site of game, wife about to give birth, etc.). It also means I run the game without complaint, regardless of the players' attitude toward it - whether they're friendly or jerks, involved or constantly chatting out of character and rolling dice on their turn. It means I arbitrate disputes fairly and impartially without fail. It means I do the best job I can providing the style of game the players want, be it hack and slash or deep immersion. Finally, it means I come to the sessions fully prepared and with an upbeat attitude, regardless of my actual feeling about the game.

I would both chip in (say, $3.00-$3.50/hour each from four players) for a GM who lived up to those standards, and would run games for the same rate.

Agent Oracle

First Post
Voted Other.

I play maybe four hours a week. I feel like i earn, maybe... mmm... two d12's and a d8. With the possibility of a percentile die tip.

Now, For the marathon sessions i've run (including one 16 hour game session) Now we're looking into some serious payola. At least a core rule book for a system I'm not familiar with, and three mini figs, with a possible d20 as a bonus.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
My time is worth ... quite a lot. More than the choices on this list.

I would not game for money.

-- N

BlueBlackRed

Explorer
I'd punch any DM who actually wanted to get paid.
Figuratively of course.

The person who needs to get paid is the walking band-aid/heals-on-wheels.
Anyone who plays a cleric strictly to heal the party deserves money, because that person is usually having less fun than the rest.

Odhanan

Adventurer
I agree: if you need to get paid to be willing to DM, then you probably should stop DMing.
I voted "Other" since DMing isn't a job.

Thanatos

Banned
Banned
I voted "Other"

Because I think a DM should be paid by players.

Of course Coke and food is acceptable, I've been so busy preparing I haven't eaten...

Why yes, that *is* a lovely supplemental book you brought to the table? oh its mine because you want to use a class in it, well of course...

Why yes, I *did* need a new deluxe battle map for us to play on!

Oooooohhh I did need those new monster mini's (to go with the battlemap)...

Yes, some things are just worth more then straight out cash :D

Teflon Billy

Explorer
Emirikol said:

DMing is a job.

I've done it in the past for the community centre and it pays 15 dollars/hour for 4 hours/ week (usually Sunday afternoons).

The players are usually awful children.

Rustam

First Post
man, they don't pay me enough for this $#*!

like MoogleEmpMog stated...

of course, that would only be about the same pay as a school teacher :\ makes on average (8 hours a day, 5 days a week) :( and pretty much the same work conditions...ever think of that?

Remove ads