• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

If DMing was a job, how much should you get paid?

If DMing was a job, how much should you get paid?

• Minimum wage - $9.00/hour

Votes: 34 13.2%
  • $10.00/ hour

Votes: 24 9.3%
  • $11.00/ hour

Votes: 9 3.5%
  • $12.00/ hour - $15.00

Votes: 49 19.0%
  • $16.00/ hour - $20.00

Votes: 26 10.1%
  • $21.00/ hour-$25.00

Votes: 28 10.9%
  • $26.00/ hour -$30.00

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • $31.00/ hour-$35.00

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • $36.00/ hour-$40.00

Votes: 28 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 37 14.3%

• Poll closed .

Calico_Jack73

First Post
The way I look at it the DM is providing entertainment to the players. Take the cost of your average movie ticket and half it because the typical movie is at least 2 hours long. That is your cost per hour per player and then multiply that times the number of players that you have to come up with the amount per hour that a DM should make.

The Thayan Menace

First Post
TPKillah!

I'm a 23 year vet with mad skillz (e.g., graphic art, industry networking, metagame research, player recruitment, and ProBoard management).

I run for free, but I'm worth $40.00 an hour ... minimum.

-Samir

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Teflon Billy said:
DMing is a job.

I've done it in the past for the community centre and it pays 15 dollars/hour for 4 hours/ week (usually Sunday afternoons).
And dude, that's $15 an hour Canadian.

This joke was funnier several years ago.

merelycompetent

First Post
My free time is worth quite a bit: DMing is *work*. It requires lots of prep time per adventure. It requires research, specialized domain knowledge, and no small amount of talent. And that's just the beginning.

The chart doesn't go that high. Voted Other.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
You know, folks should rethink that "punch any DM who wants to get paid" thing. Because there's nothing wrong with getting paid for a job you find enjoyable.

If it were a job, the DM should get paid in accordance with how much entertainment he or she provides.

If you treat your DM like a movie - an individual person in a metropolitan area will pay something like $3.25 and $4.50 per hour of actual entertainment time. Call it six players, you're talking in the neighborhood of $20 to $25 per hour. Of course, you probably prep for at least as much time as you run, so you're talking an effective $10/hour or so.

If you treat your DM like a novel - an individual gets many more hours our of their $8. Each player will then net you less than $1 per hour.

And that, of course, is if you're really professional grade.

If you're really good, maybe you're more like a low-end theatre ticket - between $20 and $30 per hour per player. But you'd have to be four-part harmony with feeling and special effects to rank that high.

Slife

First Post
I think we actually have a professional DM on this very forum.

Why don't you ask him what he gets paid

(I'd link, but no CS)

BlueBlackRed

Explorer
Pardon me for thinking that being a DM is a privilege.
Yeah it can be a lot of work, but if you're good at it the return you get from your players is worth the trouble.

I've had good DMs and bad. I've ran great games and pathetic ones.
Never would I pay or expect to be paid a penny for any of it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads