• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

If DMing was a job, how much should you get paid?

If DMing was a job, how much should you get paid?

• Minimum wage - $9.00/hour

Votes: 34 13.2%
  • $10.00/ hour

Votes: 24 9.3%
  • $11.00/ hour

Votes: 9 3.5%
  • $12.00/ hour - $15.00

Votes: 49 19.0%
  • $16.00/ hour - $20.00

Votes: 26 10.1%
  • $21.00/ hour-$25.00

Votes: 28 10.9%
  • $26.00/ hour -$30.00

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • $31.00/ hour-$35.00

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • $36.00/ hour-$40.00

Votes: 28 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 37 14.3%

• Poll closed .

Henry

Autoexreginated
By the way, in the U.S. Minimum Wage is $5.15 an hour. :D

I'd say pay it fairly well, say $12 per hour, but it's only part time work -- about 1 to 4 hours a day.

delericho

Legend
Other.

If I'm getting paid, I'm treating it as a job, with all that goes with it. Therefore, I charge at one of two rates:

For one-off game sessions, I charge the same as I do for playing the bagpipes at your wedding: £200 (about $350) for half a day. You choose the system; I'll bring everything that's needed for the game.

For a regular campaign, I'll take less: about £10 per hour ($18), provided I'm including prep time as part of the billable hours. If not, double the rate. Here, we can negotiate on the parameters of the campaign - things like books used, house rules used, and so forth are all up for grabs (this is not the case with the one-off session). Again, I'll bring everything that's needed for the game.

In general, I won't supply snacks for the game (except for me), nor a place to play. Oh, and if I'm being paid for it, I want the money up front, and won't accept 'payment' in snacks, dice, or books. If it's a job, it's a job.

Note: if you cancel with less than 72 hours of notice, you still pay me.

For your money, I guarantee to show up on time, fully prepped and ready to go, and to bring my 'A' game to every session. I will adjudicate the rules fairly, run the best game I know how, and generally try to ensure all present have the best time possible.

Note: I don't expect anyone to be willing to pay those prices. However, if I were charging, those would be the charges.

All in all, though, I would much rather DM for the fun.

Arnwyn

First Post
Other: What the market will bear. And it'd have to be a salaried position.

For me, personally? Pfft. That list doesn't cover it - this new, burgeoning "DMing industry" couldn't afford me.

(P.S. delericho - your post rocks.)

MojoGM

First Post
HiLiphNY said:
Once again, the main bad characteristic of gamers rears its ugly head: They're Cheap, whiney folk.

Yup...I agree.

HiLiphNY said:
I, would gladly pay to be with a great DM. I know there are others out there who would, too. I can see it working in certain places at certain moments in time.

Show me the $$$!

Me too. Gaming is entertainment, and if a game was that good, I'd gladly pay to play. Maybe not $100 and hour, but something comparable to other forms of entertainment (likea movie or something).

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
First question, for the OP: where do you live, that minimum wage is $9/hour?

As for being paid to DM, while I've joked in the past about how nice this would be, in all seriousness I'm not sure if it'd be a good idea. Someone quite correctly mentioned that pay would change DM-ing from a recreation to an obligation...even more so than it already is...and this, for me, would suck away much of the fun. And, who would be paying? The players? The RPGA? WotC?

If it's the players paying and there's a nasty encounter coming that night, better make sure you get paid in advance! And make it clear there's no money-back guarantee if their PC dies...

Far more useful would be players chipping in for supplies...even as basic as graph paper for mapping, chalk for the board (or dry-erase markers for those who use mats), etc.

That said, the concept of the DM *bribe* (whether effective or not) is a fine tradition that should be continued... ;)

Lanefan

merelycompetent

First Post
Odhanan said:
My answer to that is that I love DMing, I do it for myself and for my friends to have a good time. I'm doing it voluntarily, and I like it. DMing for me is priceless precisely because I love it, and I love RPGs. When I play, I respect the DM, the time s/he invested in the preparation of the game and the patience/time invested in running the game.

QFT. And phrased far more appropriately than I could manage.

Heck, yoinked with attributions for inclusion in the player handouts in my next campaign. Thanks!

Jaguar

First Post
I voted other for a simple reason.

How will be measured this hour? If the DM wrote the adventure the time and effort should be rewarded, and how would the group measure the time wasted in the adventure writing? Even for the DM... That 5 min or more in the subway could work better than a hour in the computer.

Besides, we have the adventure's pace problem. The group would it to be fast to pay less, and the DM slow to get more money.

To me, the best way to determine DMing as paid job would be (since it would weight in the final price):

1- Get what should be a reasonable game session in lenght (4h?);
2- Get the average gaming group number of members (with discounts for less payers and a fee for more);
3- Decide if it will be a original adventure or a published module;
4- Get a price for each option and for overtime and aditional players.

In this way the best way to put a price in the job would be a fixed contract for the whole job.

I hope I helped you.

Remove ads