• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E If not the word "race", what word instead?

If not the word "race", which word do you prefer

• ethnicity

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • ethnic group

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • group

• heritage

Votes: 12 8.6%
  • culture

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • background

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • nation

• nationality

• people

Votes: 36 25.9%
  • folk

Votes: 36 25.9%
  • kin

Votes: 17 12.2%
  • kinship

• kindred

Votes: 6 4.3%
  • kith

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • family

• clan

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • tribe

• ancestry

Votes: 42 30.2%
  • bloodline

• blood

• seed

• descendance

• origin

Votes: 15 10.8%
  • species

Votes: 60 43.2%
  • kind

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • type

• lifeform

• shape

• skin

• morph

• an other word not mentioned above

Votes: 9 6.5%
  • make it optional flavor without mechanics

Votes: 5 3.6%

The recent WotC announcement used a shotgun approach of various words, hinting that the word "race" will no longer be used: "ethnicity", "people", "folk", "origin".

If not the word "race", which word would you prefer instead?

Choose as many options as you prefer.

[edit]

NOT mentioned in the list of choices:

• lineage
• dynasty
• genealogy
• parentage
• pedigree
• type / subtype
• metatype
• form
• bioform
• creature
• biology
• stock
• descent
• root / stem / branch
• clade
• genetics
• peoplehood
• progenitor
• birth

Last edited:

delphonso

Explorer
I quite like "kin". It has a familial feel, but is more sterile than family but less sterile than blood. It's also one of those words I rarely hear outside of fiction books.

Nation, heritage, culture, are a bit off for me. A human raised by dwarves makes these feel a bit off.

I was always fond of Shadowrun's "Metatype".

Shiroiken

Legend
Species would be the most accurate, but this is more scientific term than fantasy normally supports. However, I think that People and Folk would be workable terms, giving us something like Elf-folk or the Elven People.

I also think that sub-races should be ethnicity, but I also think that sub-classes should be theme as well. I just feel the use of "sub-" is lazy.

Because its the only word in the list that actually describes what a race is supposed to be. All other words are social constructs and do not describe biological facts.

And hold monster can be used to hold creatures that are not monstrous at all. If there is one thing that would probably change the D&D books for worse, it would be to change the choice of words to appease the "well, actually" crowd.

tommybahama

Adventurer
Insulting other members
Because its the only word in the list that actually describes what a race is supposed to be. All other words are social constructs and do not describe biological facts.

You are missing the purpose of Newspeak. Reported to Minitrue for doubleplusungood. Also, equating race to biology is a thoughtcrime. Everyone knows race is a social construct. Right, bb?

Remove ads