• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E If the Player carrying a person succeeds a Dex-saving spell, does it still hurt the person?

I'm playing a dragonborn Monk so I'm able to carry a person/other Players bridle-style. Since I have "Evasion" and when I succeed I take no damage from, for example, a Fireball, does the person I'm carrying also take no damage?

Shiroiken

Legend
By RAW, no they must make their own save. Your DM will have final say, but I would allow you to choose to give the character your save (including Evasion) instead, as you protect them with your body.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
As above, but I'd make you roll at disadvatage and apply the result to both of you, as you're effectively making the save for both of you.

Tormyr

Hero
Separate save. The person doing the carrying may have (accidentally or on purpose) used the carried person as cover.

Both save: Carrier got them to safety
Carrier saves: Carried takes brunt of blast
Carried saves: Carrier takes brunt of blast
Both fail: Both get caught in blast

It is like when a giant boulder rolls down a square hallway. There is plenty of space in the corners to duck, but the creature may not react in time even though it is obvious that someone could fit through the gap in the corner between the boulder, floor, and wall. You roll the saving throws to determine if the creature has the desired mechanical result.

Thanks for the super fast responses! I didn't know people reply so quickly so I really appreciate it. I'm kinda new to this forum so I'll try to keep up with it.

Last edited:

Separate save. The person doing the carrying may have (accidentally or on purpose) used the carried person as cover.

Both save: Carrier got them to safety
Carrier saves: Carried takes brunt of blast
Carried saves: Carrier takes brunt of blast
Both fail: Both get caught in blast

It is like when a giant boulder rolls down a square hallway. There is plenty of space in the corners to duck, but the creature may not react in time even though it is obvious that someone could fit through the gap in the corner between the boulder, floor, and wall. You roll the saving throws to determine if the creature has the desired mechanical result.

Listing the possible results of saves and fails for this situation is helpful, thanks! I also appreciate your other example of a boulder down a hallway because I wouldn't know how to word it if someone does succeed a DEX save. I could say there was a hole in the ground and they happen to fit in to avoid the boulder, but I like using the gaps as another means of getting out of harms way.

Remove ads