If this doesn't get you interested in my setting, nothing will...

Dalenthas

First Post
I've yet to decide a name for the campaign setting (nobody calles Forggoten Realms by the name Faerun, now do they?), but most other important details have been decided and I just have to get it all written down.

I was going to write a back-of-the-book type hook for my campaign setting, but then I realized I am horrible at that sort of thing, especially for a non-story. Instead I'm just going to put what I have for the introduction (or rather, a brief summery of the History of Taggoth).

Long ago, when the world was young, there were no countries. Everybody lived in some small independent village or another, and nobody cared about what everyone else was doing. One group of people, their name lost in time, was not so friendly. They attacked and raided nearby towns, stealing as much as they could. This went on for a few years until they came upon the town of Kiolras, where a young man by the name of Aros Taggoth lived. Aros rallied his people, and with an army of farmers using sickles, scythes, and anything else they could get their hands on, repelled the invaders. But Aros was not content with repelling the invaders. He convinced the people of Kiolras that the invaders would return if they did not go to the source and stop them. So they trained for war and within a season they marched off to fight the invaders. The small group took on the invaders, and slew every last one of them. With the destruction of these foes, many towns started rallying under the name Aros Taggoth. Quickly there were dozens of towns all collected with Taggoth as their ruler. Most towns brought with them complaints of invaders, and so the armies of Aros mobilized and conquered all that opposed them. Soon, Aros had controll over a large empire, which he named Taggoth, after himself. He took a wife, Lauryn, who bore him seven children. At the age of seventy years, Aros stepped down from the position of emporer, giving the crown to his eldest child, his daughter Nylandra.

For one thousand years the Empire stood, growing every generation, but not passing the borders of the mountains to the east. The last Emporer of Taggoth, Daggo IV, had a city built on the other side of the mountains, the first (and last) city of Taggoth to cross the mountain pass. Exactly 1000 years after the birth of Aros, the empire was destroyed. Not by an opposing army. Not by some great plauge, either. Rather, it was destroyed by the sudden and unstoppable growth of a huge jungle, breaking apart the foundations of the empire. Within a week all of what was once the great empire of Taggoth, save the one city east of the mountains, Daggoth, was covered in thick, wet, vegetation. This of course killed many people, who did not expect to wake up in the morning and be bitten by some deadly insect, or fell a hundred feet to their doom from their front steps high in the newly grown trees. Some of the initial survivors were warped, twisted by the magic of the jungle, into beings known as lisifel. Even today nobody knows why or how the Jungle grew, just that it did, and very quickly.The growth of the Jungle occurred three hundred and seventy six years ago today.

This introduction neglects to mention three of the major races (ssiska, manapsi, and the soon-to-be-renamed hobgoblins). Oh, and it doesn't mention halflings either, but who does?

There are three major religeons, and a couple minor ones.
The three major ones each have 3 gods, the same three gods under a different name. The minor religions include nature-worshipping druids, other cultists, and the relative newcomers from the west coast (they had to go around the south coast by boat to get to the east from across the mountains and the thick Jungle) and their religion which they call The Way (monks are their scouts and missionaries).

I am getting rid of all core races except humans and halflings, and replaced them with less Tolkein-esq races. (Though, thinking about it, halflings are a compleatly Tolkein origionated race, but I kept them...)
Ironicly, due to getting rid of elves, Dalenthas, Elven Ranger of Cale Nadere (also not there...) does not live on Ledirak. I've eliminated myself!

Beyond that I will try to keep the spoilers to a minimum, though I may forget and leak out a juicy bit or two....

Terraism

Explorer
I'm agreeing with Wicht...

I have to agree - the setting looks quite interesting. (Believe me, I'm a sucker for campaign settings - I own many more than I'll ever be able to use... :D but that's how it goes, isn't it?) I am interested in learning more... that IS what you wanted, yes? There is one 'but', however... have you had anyone take a look at writings/proof them? You've got a decent grasp on prose 'history', but could perhaps use some weaving and tightness. On the whole- looks nice!

Fayredeth

First Post
I am assuming you are abandoning the old world?

Well, in either event, this new endeavour does sound interesting. Yes, polishing will be needed, and yes, things will have to be expanded upon and changed, but Dalenthas, you have come up with something that is original. Good work, and good luck with your project.

kenjib

First Post
It sounds great. It will be interesting to hear how the legacy of Taggoth lived on in the people that rebuilt the world after this cataclysm.

EDIT: I'm a sucker for jungles.

Dispater

Explorer
Interesting. I think this belongs over at the Whereabouts forum.

Attachments

• Mike-Mearls-headshot.jpg
    Mike-Mearls-headshot.jpg
    824.5 KB · Views: 3,040

Remove ads