If we combine Dark Matter and Gamma World, we get...

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Another interesting aspect of this could be determining where the Grays/Fraals intentions would be (I believe the head of the Hoffman institute is actually a Gray/Fraal in disguise). They may try to help mankind clean up Earth. Possibly providing advanced equipment from their city ship that can help clean up radiation and possibly advanced medical technology to research reversing mutations. Hoffman Institute remnants could have the mission of making sure no new wars, world/planar plots, and new ecological disasters take place. You could even add in that maybe the Hoffman Institute had information that could have prevented the Apocalypse but were too late or unsuccessful, adding an element of guilt to their future activities.
The idea that the Fraal might try to clean up the Earth would be an interesting twist, especially if they work towards reversing mutations. There are a lot of mutant groups that would be very opposed to this behavior. I could see mutated hitmen hunting fraal mercilessly.

The Hoffman Institute (HI) would be a major player in pure-strain human politics in a post-Dark Matter-Gamma World campaign. Depending on the GM, they could become a forward-thinking organization that includes mutants in their goals or an anti-mutant group that sees these upstarts as the greatest threat that humanity has ever faced.

Of course, that depends of a HI that is centralized. More than likely, the organization would splint into several groups with individual missions based on what you said above. (i.e. a splinter group dedicated to preventing wars, another dedicated to ecological problems, etc.) Perhaps many of these splinter groups become the Cryptic Alliances.

I also like the idea that the HI could have prevented the Final Wars but failed to act. The organization in the Gamma Age would work "really" hard to keep that information a secret. Otherwise, they could become the hunted by crazy-ass CAs that want to blame someone for the fall of civilization.

T

TDarien

So it would be a combination of hard-core conspiracy with a post-apocalyptic future.

Now, granted, I know very little about Dark Matter or gamma world, but the above got me thinking. If you use the Straight, (or Dark) style of play, Paranoia would fit that description perfectly. I'm sure it's not what the OP had in mind, but I just thought it an interesting fit.

masshysteria

Explorer
It's doable and perhaps quiet interesting...

It has been a long ten years. The Aztec's were right. The world did end in the high tide of Dark Matter on December 21, 2012. And in its death civilization collapsed. But in the ashes a new world rose.

A world of alien warlords taking human for slaves and experimentation. A world where the paranormal is the normal. A world where the conspiracies of old no longer plot in darkness but in the open.

But we have taken their place. We operate in the shadows. We hunt the hunters. We failed humanity once, we will not do it again. We are the Hoffman Legacy.

to really make it work you'll need the d20 Modern core book, d20 Menace Manual, Urban Arcana, and d20 Dark*Matter. This is mainly because Dark*Matter uses races, monsters, and orginizations from the previous books. I would also recomend d20 Future and d20 Apocalypse for more monsters, mutations and alien tech.

Groups like the Crimson Scorpions, the Final Church, the Six Fingered Hand, rouge Fraal, Etolie/Sandmen, Freemasons, so some such bad guys, and any or all may have survived the apocalypse.

The Hoffman Institute should be the sole "good" group the utilizes humans, aliens, mutants, and synthetics.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Now, granted, I know very little about Dark Matter or gamma world, but the above got me thinking. If you use the Straight, (or Dark) style of play, Paranoia would fit that description perfectly. I'm sure it's not what the OP had in mind, but I just thought it an interesting fit.
I've heard of Paranoia but I don't really know too much about it. Can you describe the premise in a short paragraph?

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
A world of alien warlords taking human for slaves and experimentation. A world where the paranormal is the normal. A world where the conspiracies of old no longer plot in darkness but in the open.

But we have taken their place. We operate in the shadows. We hunt the hunters. We failed humanity once, we will not do it again. We are the Hoffman Legacy.
Hoffman Legacy... I like that. A secret order of warriors dedicated to the ideals of protecting humanity from the horrors of the Gamma Age. Constantly on the run from alien death squads trying to wipe out human resistance.

Add in some killer-robots from the Pre-War age that rampage through the land hunting intelligent biologicals on all sides and you have some really nasty adventure ideas. :D

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
to really make it work you'll need the d20 Modern core book, d20 Menace Manual, Urban Arcana, and d20 Dark*Matter. This is mainly because Dark*Matter uses races, monsters, and orginizations from the previous books. I would also recomend d20 Future and d20 Apocalypse for more monsters, mutations and alien tech.
Well, I have all those books except d20 Dark*Matter and Urban Arcana. I've been seriously considering the Dark*Matter book.

Groups like the Crimson Scorpions, the Final Church, the Six Fingered Hand, rouge Fraal, Etolie/Sandmen, Freemasons, so some such bad guys, and any or all may have survived the apocalypse.

The Hoffman Institute should be the sole "good" group the utilizes humans, aliens, mutants, and synthetics.
Ah, the Final Church. I forgot about that organization. That group would definitely be a good EVIL "cryptic alliance" for Dark Matter-Gamma World.

I'm not sure if I agree about the idea of the Hoffman Institute being the sole "good" group. That would limit the campaign too much. What if it falls? What hope is there then? I would make "good" groups very rare, but I'd keep them around.

As an aside, I'd probably add some rules for taint and madness to this campaign concept. Those who delve to deep into the Dark*Matter past become corrupted, especially if they expose themselves to the technologies of corrupted alien species.

Remove ads