If we combine Dark Matter and Gamma World, we get...

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Thats exactly what it is good for. The D20 Modern version is more up your alley then.
yeah, I think so.

I've been on a huge d20 Modern PA "kick" lately. From picking up d20 Apocalypse and buying three of the books ofr Gamma World, 6th Edition, I've been spending my money on lots of d20 Modern PA books.

D20 Dark*Matter will likely be next and I'm considering d20 Future Tech. Plus, there is another one of the d20 Modern Gamma World books I want. I've bought a couple of Mutants and Masterminds books, as well, which is slightly different addiction, of course. ;)

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
I'd second getting the Alternity Dark*Matter campaign book. The D20 book will be good for crunch, so you don't have to do a lot of converting, but the timelines, NPC characters info (not crunch), and the writeups on secret organizations and their backstories are priceless. Also Alternity Star*Drive, although just an alternate timeline next to Gamma World, has some good info on the Fraals backstories. It might even give you some good ideas for weapons, robots and AI's.

At the least, whether you use them or not, the original Alternity campaigns were simply awesome. It's too bad they didn't gain more popularity.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
I'd second getting the Alternity Dark*Matter campaign book. The D20 book will be good for crunch, so you don't have to do a lot of converting, but the timelines, NPC characters info (not crunch), and the writeups on secret organizations and their backstories are priceless. Also Alternity Star*Drive, although just an alternate timeline next to Gamma World, has some good info on the Fraals backstories. It might even give you some good ideas for weapons, robots and AI's.
I was huge Alternity fan back in its glory days so I know all about the awesomeness of Star*Drive. I had a lot of the books for that campaign setting and for Alternity in general.

However, I never bought any of the Dark*Matter references. I was interested in it, somewhat, but I decided to concentrate my Alternity purchases on Star*Drive. It's unfortunate that I had to sell most of the books during a time of financial crisis, but Real LifeTM happens.

Getting both the d20 Modern version and the Alternity version is posssible as I'm 99% sure one of my FLGS has the Alternity version and I know that one store has the d20 Modern version.

At the least, whether you use them or not, the original Alternity campaigns were simply awesome. It's too bad they didn't gain more popularity.
Yeah, I agree wholeheartedly. I couldn't get my friends interested in Alternity. Star*Drive is still one of my favorite campaign settings, and I'd hoped that WotC would revise it for d20 Modern. I was very disappointed when they didn't create a whole book for the campaign.

Angellis_ater

First Post
Alternity in general was a very cool game, with a cool system. I wonder if I'd have the time and inclination to write the system up and release it as an OGL system? Perhaps if I went a little more True20 on it and designed it for general use? Who knows.

dm4hire

Explorer
I've actually been thinking a lot about Alternity lately and would love to see the system brought back in some form. I'd be interested in see what some did with it. I'd love to see Gamma World brought back in some form as well, using more of Saga system I think though.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
I've actually been thinking a lot about Alternity lately and would love to see the system brought back in some form. I'd be interested in see what some did with it. I'd love to see Gamma World brought back in some form as well, using more of Saga system I think though.
Alternity still has a place on the Internet...

Alternity

It's the best place on the web for all things Alternity.

Hawke

Explorer
If you're looking to solve the problem of "shadowy conspiracy" in a crappy-post-apocalyptic world, I suggest you check out the HBO series Carnivalé (2 seasons).

It's very mystical with conspiracy stuff with a story that takes place in the west during the great depression with a traveling carnival. Being in the middle of the great depression, things really suck and you get the sense for a world completely disconnected, law totally localized and nonexistent, yet a conspiracy and players exist going back to when the world was more together.

masshysteria

Explorer
I've actually been thinking a lot about Alternity lately and would love to see the system brought back in some form.

Mark me down as another interested party. I'm still playing the original game when I can. Part of me desperately hopes the next version of Modern is a revamped version of Alternity.

I'd love to see simpler character creation system. Perhaps even going classless. A modified skill list. All the info in one book rather than two. And more support for playing historical time periods.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
If you're looking to solve the problem of "shadowy conspiracy" in a crappy-post-apocalyptic world, I suggest you check out the HBO series Carnivalé (2 seasons).

It's very mystical with conspiracy stuff with a story that takes place in the west during the great depression with a traveling carnival. Being in the middle of the great depression, things really suck and you get the sense for a world completely disconnected, law totally localized and nonexistent, yet a conspiracy and players exist going back to when the world was more together.
Hmm, the show sounds interesting. I read the synopsis on IMDb. I assume it's available on DVD. I don't know if it would be airing anywhere on Canadian Cable TV or not. I don't get HBO.

Remove ads